Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ATTN Loungers: How old are your fedoras? (UPDATED)

How old, in general, are most of your fedoras?

• Pre 1900's (please specify exact decade)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1900's

• 1910's

• 1920's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hopefully a more accurate, precise, and updated version of my original poll.

At the suggestion of DoA in the general question thread.

You will notice that there are more precise categories for the dates.

Please vote based on which era you quantitatively have the most of, not necessarily your absolute oldest hat. You may list the date range of your oldest fedora in the comments.

I hope I'm not out of line in taking it upon myself to create this poll, but I've been curious about this myself for a while.

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The poll will remain open for one year. With any luck, this will be a very informative venture.

I hope to have as many of us to answer as possible, for an accurate sample of us in the Lounge.

Cheers,

Mulceber

Practically Family
Are we talking in style or in actual age? All my hats are modern, but you wouldn't know it to look at them: my Art Fawcett hats are 30's style, as are my adventurebilts. -M

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Are we talking in style or in actual age? All my hats are modern, but you wouldn't know it to look at them: my Art Fawcett hats are 30's style, as are my adventurebilts. -M

I'm collecting data for actual ages of hats. I'm conducting this poll to serve as a resource to identify the ages (and their frequency, in the collector's community) of fedoras. But I'd still like to see your hats. :)

Mulceber

Practically Family
Ok then, all mine are modern, albeit with vintage styling. Pictures below:

photo-2-1.jpg

Iphonepictures151.jpg

photo-4.jpg

IMG_0780_2.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Most of mine are from the 40s to 50s with a quarter of the collection from the 60s and 70s I have two from the 1920s (or 30s). As I get more knowledgeable about styles I am realizing that I like them from the 40s onward, not so much earlier. Brims are too small earlier and I don't like Homburgs, pugs, trilbys or stingies. Small brimmed hats look horrible on me, I feel so I am steering clear of them after having bought a few (that I have since sold off).

I've got many fedoras, ranging from the 40's and 50's up to a couple years ago. I can never resist any kind of fedora if I see it for sale, I gotta pick it up, if it's cheap. With cheap being the key here, I have a ton of trilbies from the 60's and 70's.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Is this an average or the decade of largest concentration? I have at least one representative of each choice. 1950 ends up as the mid-point but I have more 2010 hats than 1890.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Most of mine are modern, and include several Akubras and a VS from Art. Among my vintage fedoras, I have a Stetson with Whippet dimensions from the 50's, an Adam Executive from Johnnyphi's auctions, and a Resistol stingy brim from the 60's.

DRB

One Too Many
Strictly custom made new. The threads used on them hopefully will outlast me. I also like knowing and meeting the person who made my hat.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Is this an average or the decade of largest concentration? I have at least one representative of each choice. 1950 ends up as the mid-point but I have more 2010 hats than 1890.

Sorry for the confusion rlk, I mean the decade of highest concentration. It's the best way I can think of to determine which hats are the more common in the hands of us collectors.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I can't really vote on this (except my straws, which are modern, but they are different), I have one 50s, one 60s, and one modern.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I can't really vote on this (except my straws, which are modern, but they are different), I have one 50s, one 60s, and one modern.

Yeah, it's too bad that one can't vote multiple times. I've got (what looks like) a '40s straw boater, an (I estimate) early-'50s Penney's Marathon, (what appears to be) an early-'60s Marshall Fields Mansfield 15, and a modern Borsalino Alessandria (see avatar). The rest are from the 2000s. So, what to vote? Post-1980s?[huh]

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Appears that there are far more Loungers that are not vintage "collectors" but who have a limited number of modern vintage style hats. This will ultimately push the most recent category highest.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Appears that there are far more Loungers that are not vintage "collectors" but who have a limited number of modern vintage style hats. This will ultimately push the most recent category highest.

Would make more sense to poll only collectors if I understand what he is going for.

B

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
I have a couple of Stratoliners (50's?), a Stetson 100 (50's), and early 50's OR, a 60's Borsalino; but I also have 3 AB's, a VS, and 3 PB's. So I went with modern. Does that make me wrong?

Cheers,

RC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo