Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I didn’t notice you fellows all gathered in here!

I’m a creditors’ rights attorney at a small firm. We represent a few banks and two of the local bankruptcy trustees. It’s not what I aspired to when I went to law school, but the recession coincided with my entering the world of work.

I really like the firm, though, which is a consolation, and I am occasionally presented with interesting legal questions, which I really enjoy.

-Dave

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Spats McGee said:
In Nashville, Tennessee, grocery stores could sell beer & on Sundays. However, it was illegal (~1997-1998) for hard liquor to be sold in the same store as beer & wine. Accordingly, I remember one building that a beer & wine store on one side, and a liquor store on the other. One building, but divided down the middle. You had to go outside from one half to go into the other.

Actually in Tennessee, and store that sells beer cannot sell wine or distilled spirits. Any store that sells wine and distilled spirits cannot sell anything else. No mixers, etc. Weird laws.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I left out the requested photographs:

Fountain pens and various office accouterments. Far better than the stuff we keep in stock here, I assure you.

Pens.jpg

The hat. Swiftly becoming a trademark in the area. The guards at the bankruptcy court always comment if I show up without it.

Hat.jpg

-Dave

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
GallatinHatMan said:
Actually in Tennessee, and store that sells beer cannot sell wine or distilled spirits. Any store that sells wine and distilled spirits cannot sell anything else. No mixers, etc. Weird laws.

That is very confusing. I am all for my province's liquor control laws, they make it so simple. All liquor, no matter what type, is sold either at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), or The Beer Store. The province uses the money to support MADD and other safe alcohol programs/advertising, and help the OPP and RCMP crack down on drunk driving. Also, all restaurants wishing to serve liquor must seek approval from the LLBO (Licensed Liquor Board of Ontario.)

David, your office looks great!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
GallatinHatMan said:
Ok, so that's how it worked. It's been a while since I lived in TN, so my memory's a little fuzzy. Thanks for the correction.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Oh, I left out the requested photographs:

Fountain pens and various office accouterments. Far better than the stuff we keep in stock here, I assure you.

Pens.jpg

. . . .
What's the black pen? I recognize the Phileas because I have one of my own, but can't quite place the other.

Love the old 2-hole punch, too.

Doublegun

Practically Family
C-dot said:
That is very confusing. I am all for my province's liquor control laws, they make it so simple. All liquor, no matter what type, is sold either at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), or The Beer Store. The province uses the money to support MADD and other safe alcohol programs/advertising, and help the OPP and RCMP crack down on drunk driving. Also, all restaurants wishing to serve liquor must seek approval from the LLBO (Licensed Liquor Board of Ontario.)

David, your office looks great!

"The Beer Store", that's what I love about Canadians; they make things so simple.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
I didn’t notice you fellows all gathered in here!

I’m a creditors’ rights attorney at a small firm. We represent a few banks and two of the local bankruptcy trustees. It’s not what I aspired to when I went to law school, but the recession coincided with my entering the world of work.

I really like the firm, though, which is a consolation, and I am occasionally presented with interesting legal questions, which I really enjoy.

-Dave

Welcome to the Observation Bar Association David. What are you drinking?

How long have you been in practice , and (because it's become something of interest around here) is law your first career or have you done other things prior to law school?

Love the pens and the hat - and thanks for the photos. Tell us about the hat?!

And make yourself at home. The company is always sweet, the topics are varied, our membership is drawn from around the globe and our catchcry is "To Collegiality!" Welcome aboard.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
GallatinHatMan said:

Good to see you too Gallatinman. I doubt there's a jurisdiction on the planet with liquor laws that make sense (with the possible exeption of the Middle East where it's invariably banned - but you can smoke pot!). The laws here in Qld still don't allow supermarkets to sell liqour (unlike some other Australian states) so the supermarket chains simply buy a liquor chain and set up shop next door. They are, however open 7 days.

Personally I've found an online auction site that sells some top wines by the case for not a lot of cash, so liqour outlets don't often see me these days.

Are you a lawyer?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Obs bar Assoc Wine of the Day

Sometimes you strike the lucky double of a really good wine that doesn't cost very much. De Bortoli is one of Australia's top wineries and it's Noble One dessert wine is world famous. But they also do a range of cheaper wines like their Sacred Hill range. These may be cheap but they're surpisingly good.
Tonight I sampled a bottle of the 2008 Sacred Hill Reisling. It cost around $5 - and it didn't disappoint.
Let me buy you all a round. It won't break the bank.
Cheers

sh_riesling_.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm not much of a white wine - or Australian wine - enthusiast, but that could be because I've only ever sampled Yellow Tail. De Bortoli's is on my list for the next party.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Well now Brother Sam and lovely C-dot, De Bortoli is a quality winery whatever the price. Here's the tasting notes of Australia's foremost wine critic James Halliday from his website re the Sacred Hill 2008 Reisling:

"Ripe stone fruit bouquet, with a touch of spice; clean and zesty finish. Great Value. Screwcap.
13% alc. Rating 87 Drink 2012 $7.50 Date Tasted Mar 09"

At $5 I obviously got mine on special! When you can pick up a wine rated 87 for that price it's a steal.

And yes Sam, I rediscovered Reisling last summer after a few years with chardonnay as my white vino de jour. Eventually I tired of the Chardy (though still have a few bottles nesting in the nursery). I'm also finally developing a taste for Sauvignon blanc - of which De Bortoli also has a couple of good ones.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
I'm also finally developing a taste for Sauvignon blanc - of which De Bortoli also has a couple of good ones.

New Zealand is currently Sauvignon Blanc royalty - You lucked out geographically, Ephraim! I can recommend one from France: Château de Roques is lovely, from the grapes of Bordeaux. I definitely must compare European and Antipodean wines.

I guess I'm more of a green grape person than I originally thought! lol

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yep C-dot, those Kiwis across the pond make some very fine Sauv Blanc. We are lucky in this part of the globe - some very good wine can be had for not much outlay.

And there's a funny thing about white wines, C-dot - they're usually made from red grapes. Brother Sam Tortswon will no doubt have some expertise on this.

Being spring, I'm back into the whites after comforting myself with some fantastic reds over the cooler months. Last night I popped a bottle of Hollingdale Estate 2006 'Show Reserve Trio', a Western Australian blend of Semillon, Verdelho and Sauvignon Blanc. It's not a winery I'm familiar with but I bought a case going cheap following my gut instinct. Glad I did. It's a beauty - picked from old vines it's a very fruit driven drop, citrus, herbaceous with a dry finish.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes