Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

Harp

I'll Lock Up
OCU Law

Flyboy said:
...The school is Oklahoma City University.

The grocery store behind fraternity row at the intersection of 2500 NW Pennsylvania serves great barbecue ribs.
And the best places to meet beautiful women (off-campus) are the Full Circle Bookstore and Remington Park.
And read ahead of course syllabi; so you can have ample leisure in law school. :D

Jabos

A-List Customer
Flyboy said:
I'll make it out in four years, but the grey hairs I have now (at twenty-nine!) will be heavily reinforced by that time.

For the record, Torts is one semester, but four hours (typical is three, or occasionally two if a two-semester course). Property is also four hours this semester, but covers both real and personal property. Constitutional will come later, along with Civ Pro and Crim Pro.

Excuse me, I seem to have sprouted a few more greys. Where'd I leave that can of Krylon....?

I don't know how you guys in night school can do it! Work all day and classes at night, and read cases when? Glad to hear there is another Art Fawcett roaming around our fair city. I had the need just three weeks ago to crawl up to the third floor of your law library to look up some obscure information-wearing my Art by the way. Hope the first semester grades were okay. I'm an OU law grad, but several of my friends went to the diploma mill over on 23rd. (Okay, just a joke! I couldn't resist. No offense-my friends from the "diploma mill" make as much as I or more!!! Several are OSU grads who just couldn't stand the thought of going to OU Law-true diehard Aggies. When I was at OU it was a DUMP law school, pre Boren era.).

I've not ventured over here Ephraim since you set up shop in the Observation Bar. Nice place you have here. Can I apply for membership? I don't have to take the bar exam again, do I?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
On no Jabos - we demand much more than a mere Bar Exam! We want your SOUL!

ok...we'll trade your soul for a hat photo or some legal war stories or even a review of your favourite drop of vino or amber fluid.

Arise Brother Jabos and welcome to the Observation Bar Association!

Jabos

A-List Customer
Here is my hat submission for bar membership, a VS open road copy of a hat worn by my great grandfather:

035.jpg
[/IMG]
Hall444copy3lightened.jpg
A 1945 photo with my mother and great grandfather.

As for a war story, let me think up a good one for you.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Sad story. I am defending a workers' comp claim and the fellow is about to go back to jail for possession of meth. He just got out for spousal abuse three years ago. As a child his father beat him and locked him in closet so he could molest the sister. Has been hearing voices all his life. Someone like that has no chance in our society, with little intervention to help him get his life in order. Records show when he last got out of prison his goal was to get his life together and stay out of jail but sadly he is going right back in. Although I am on the defense, I do feel sorry in the big picture for those who don't have much chance in life. Of course, I don't feel sorry that he abused his spouse and went to jail for that. Still, I have it pretty good compared to some.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Hiya Jabos,
I meant to reply earlier that I do love the VS OR and the one worn by your grandfather. That's a wonderful photo.

As for your client, my own background prior to law was in the community sector working with the homeless, the alcohol and drug addicted, and the psychologically damaged. Many of those I worked with are like your client. And while none of us would excuse violence, we can still recognise those situations where the perpetrator is as much a victim as the ones attacked.

We had a tragic situation arise here yesterday where a 13 year old boy stabbed to death a 12 year old classmate at school. Today the 13 year old "straight A student" appears in Children's Court. One child dead and another whose life is ruined - along with the families who yesterday morning could not have foreseen what the next 24 hours would bring.

It's hard not to be gutted by such stories - and if we ever stop feeling something Jabos, we probably need to go do something else.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"What Ho"

"I was rather concerned to hear that the "Alleged" murderer of young Elliott was not granted bail, surely he would not have a passport, and would not be able to flee Australia, to live in South America on the funds from his ill gotten deeds, Is it yet another case of the traditional trial, by Australian Media?

Binkie

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello again all, I've been prioritizing school.

Took the LSAT on the 6th, scores back on the 1st I guess, graduate in May with my 20-year-plan BA in Justice (minor in Philosophy, which I'm enjoying the hell out of).

Pretty sure I did very well, except on the logic puzzle section :eusa_doh: . I'd rather they grade my essay, that I have a bit of skill in. Now I have to finish up a few late applications and wait to hear if any school wants me (and is willing to pay for the privilege).

Regardless, I will be headed South this summer.

Anyway, nice to get caught up on the thread.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
(minor in Philosophy, which I'm enjoying the hell out of).
... (and is willing to pay for the privilege).

What do you think about Wittgenstein's Cartesian deconstructionism? ;)

The Devil is the prince of lawyers; though he lost once to Daniel Webster,
and he does a little law student loan sharking on the side.
Of course, Lucifer has a certain collateral clause...;)

There are many fine lower-tier schools that produce exceptionally well trained
lawyers-Oklahoma City University for example, and, with the grades you can
present highly competitive credentials.

Jabos

A-List Customer
carebear said:
Pretty sure I did very well, except on the logic puzzle section :eusa_doh: .
Eight people are sitting at the table, Bob is next to Sam, . . . :eek: Bad memories.

carebear

Jabos said:
Eight people are sitting at the table, Bob is next to Sam, . . . :eek: Bad memories.

Took the prep course, bought the books, did the practice and not one of the puzzles seemed to resemble what I'd worked on. I'm hoping that was the "experimental section". :eek:

Harp,

I like Kant, with a side of Aquinas and Mill. All that springs to mind with Wittgenstein is that he was a beery swine who was at least as sloshed as Schlegel. :D

I'm going through my "Best Law Schools" book now working on second-choices. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Miss_Bella_Hell

CA Bar: taking it Tuesday-Thursday. I thought that I'd be less freaked out because I already passed NY, but after two months of 8 hours a day of study, I better pass the damn thing.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Miss Bella! I was just privately lamenting the absence of ladies in the Bar of late. Good to see you. Let me buy you a drink.

All the very best with the CA Bar. Having had a look at their advertising standards I'm thinking the section on ethics won't be too taxing.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Harp,

I like Kant, with a side of Aquinas.

... working on second-choices. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Oklahoma City is an easy secondary objective.
(Like a $1.50 static line jump/ C-130 back exit over an uncontested DZ);)
With SF pathfinder recon clearance too. :D

Just started on my PhD with Simone Weil as thesis objective.
A most mercurial lady whom I have fallen for.:eek:
Never had that problem with either gnome or monk. :)

Luck with all.

Flyboy

New in Town
Well, today was my first oral argument. Motion to suppress for failure to give a Miranda warning, and I've never been fond of public speaking--I prefer writing, where I have the chance to review and polish before submitting. The verdict?

...you can call me Captain Awesome, but only until the promotion board meets!

Seriously--the professor's first question after I finished was "do you work full time?" Well, yes, why? "Pity. I'd like to see you try out for the Moot Court team, but it wouldn't work for you."

How cool is that?

She said I had a "natural cadence," and came across as confident and credible. I had to look behind me to figure out who she really meant.

My apologies for the boasting, but sometimes you need to share a glass among friends. And tonight it's Domaine Ste. Michelle--a good speech is worth celebrating.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Flyboy said:
Well, today was my first oral argument. Motion to suppress for failure to give a Miranda warning...

Congratulations. :eusa_clap
Your hidden talents are being realized. Ya got game, kid. ;)

Any school buzz about Miranda being extended to battlefield captives?

carebear

Harp said:
Congratulations. :eusa_clap
Your hidden talents are being realized. Ya got game, kid. ;)

Any school buzz about Miranda being extended to battlefield captives?

Also congrats!

In practice, who would do the Mirandizing?

Some 18 year old MP working through a local Pashtun interpreter?

Having read some English-to-Yupik ballot explanations up here, I'd love to read the translation text. I'm very confident that Pashtun includes spot-on equivalencies for common law philosophical/legal concepts. ;)

Flyboy

New in Town
I've actually been disappointed at the lack of discussion of current affairs amongst my classmates. Maybe I'm unique in wanting to talk shop after the homework is done, but I generally have to annoy my professors after class if I want to scratch that particular itch--my fellow students just don't seem interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner