Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That seems crazy. We are definitely living in interesting times right now.

Between Citizens, McDonald, the recent and upcoming Miranda cases, the recent 4th Amendment ruling and all the activity on the sentencing side there's no lack of ways to tie theory into practice.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
...the recent and upcoming Miranda cases....

The Court's recent Maryland v Shatzer; Florida v Powell vocals
certainly appear antagonistic to Edwards, or at least mitigating its trespass.
Justice Scalia, I believe offers a rather tenuous justification for
citing custodial issues per said; seemingly ignoring the inherent issue of
defendant rights while in custody. It is most important to clearly
maintain accepted and acceptable parameters in questioning; and, of course,
defendant right to counsel at all times; including his own silence.
The constitutional vine that bears fruit should not be needlessly
cut down for the sake of expediency.

===================

Flyboy, I experienced the same insularity/indifference among classmates
when I attended OCULaw; most unfortunate. Have you joined a study group?
If not, organize some like-minded classmates. Touch base with the local
DA's office if you have time-and go to court as often as possible.
Watch lawyers at trial. :)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I’m interested to hear everybody’s take on Milavetz v United States, which was decided in the Supreme Court yesterday.

I don’t file bankruptcy cases, I’m on the other side ordinarily (trustee work with a smattering of creditor work), but I’m uncomfortable with what appears to be judicial tampering with the attorney/client relationship, and somewhat peeved by bankruptcy attorneys having to stamp everything that goes out the door “We are a debt-relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.”

Having to put that FDCPA paragraph at the bottom of seemingly every letter I write is bad enough! What ever happened to a little common sense? Bankruptcy attorneys help people file for bankruptcy relief, obviously; just as attorneys for creditors use the information they gather for collections purposes.

-Dave

D Yizz

New in Town
Hello all. I'm a lawyer in Puerto Rico. As some of you may know, PR is a Commonwealth of the U.S. or, in simpler terms, a territory with its own constitution, which in itself is a legal and political debate with no end in sight. I'm admitted to practice before PR's state & federal district courts, the First Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Most of my work is employment related, although I have experience in many aspects of civil litigation, including damages, estates, divorce, among others. My criminal practice is limited to DUI's and the occassional pro bono case I'm assigned.

D Yizz

New in Town
David Conwill said:
I don't, only that it would have been wherever the children of Ramey AFB personnel attended.

-Dave

This was Ramey's high school:

hs01l.jpg

hs02l.jpg

hs03l.jpg

Source: http://www.rameyafb.org/

D Yizz

New in Town
David Conwill said:
Wow, that’s amazing. I need to save those pictures and show them to him, he’ll get a real kick out of that.

What is the building used for now?

-Dave

According to the site:

"The former Ramey High School is now used as a Job Corp office."

I can check out with somke people I know from that side of the island if that is still accurate, as the site might have some outdated info, like the following:

It pictures the former hospital and says it looks like this:

hospital.jpg

However, that building was recently renovated and converted to a Courtyard hotel:

bqncy_phototour01.jpg

bqncy_phototour02.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
I’m interested to hear everybody’s take on Milavetz v United States, which was decided in the Supreme Court yesterday.

I’m uncomfortable with what appears to be judicial tampering with the attorney/client relationship....

-Dave

I haven't read the opinion yet, but please state the facts of the case Mr Conwill. ;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The US Constitution and Congress

carebear said:
... We are definitely living in interesting times right now.
... there's no lack of ways to tie theory into practice.

Article I; Section VII now portends possible Constitutional crisis. :(
Interesting times indeed.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
I haven't read the opinion yet, but please state the facts of the case Mr Conwill. ;)

Put simply, a law firm that files bankruptcies sought a declaratory judgment that (A) it was not a debt relief agency under BAPCPA; and (B) it was not prohibited from advising potential bankruptcy debtors to continue to incur debt that would be discharged.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab

And to continue my posts on courthouses, here’s the Tuscola County Courthouse in Caro, MI. As you can tell, it's early 1930s vintage. I live about two blocks away, and on this particular day (a couple weeks ago or so) had walked over to handle an eviction.

-Dave

Harp

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
Put simply, a law firm that files bankruptcies sought a declaratory judgment that (A) it was not a debt relief agency under BAPCPA; and (B) it was not prohibited from advising potential bankruptcy debtors to continue to incur debt that would be discharged.

-Dave

Read opinion, concur w/Court Milavetz posit re 526a4 errs.

...I actually agree w/ Sotomajor :eek: ;)

and I would except that Milavetz constitutes judicial interference w/atty-client. :)

schwaiger

New in Town
New Here.

Hello, all. I'm new here. Came for the shoes. Saw this thread.

I'm Izaak Schwaiger. I have a criminal defense practice in San Jose, CA. Reasonable doubt for a reasonable fee. Nice to see the rest of you all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24