Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auction Outing

Zach R.

Practically Family
It it just me or has their been an increase of auction outing in this section of the board?

I hear some people clamor over high prices but by announcing an auction on a public board you are CREATING those high prices by creating more interest. Not only does this cheat someone out of a deal for something they really want(by making it also known to people who only buy to resell at marked up prices or someone who will buy it just for the heck of getting all the hats humanly possible, regardless of seeing whether or not they will fit), it also makes sellers think that we WANT to pay high prices.

I was under the assumption that this section was for members to sell their own items, *not* to post EBay auctions.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Zach, you make an excellent point. Once the item has been placed on eBay, it's not really an individual, private seller any more, since eBay, a for-profit corporation, will get a portion of the proceeds. eBay isn't supporting the Fedora Lounge financially, as far as I know. Why should the Lounge help eBay financially?

I would not be opposed to a policy discouraging links to active eBay auctions in the Classified forum. If you want to offer something for sale to your fellow Lounge members, then give them a chance to buy it outright without having to go through the auction process with the general public. If no one here wants it, go ahead and sell it on eBay and then there is no need to post a link here.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I know some think they are doing members here a favor by letting people know about an auction item, but I agree they are just making it where more people are likely to bid thus upping the price. So I would kindly ask others to just let the auctions take care of themselves and let people do their own searching. Good post Zach.

fedoralover

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I mentioned this in another thread: as I discovered the hard way, there should be no mention of any eBay auction until that auction is over. This includes:

-- any photos of the auction item;

-- any indication that the auction item is for sale, even if you don't say that it's specifically on eBay;

-- any link to the auction itself, or to any page indicating that the item is being sold.

In short, don't mention the item AT ALL. If you must get advice about it, PM knowledgeable folks directly.

havershaw

Practically Family
yes! I have lost a little sleep over a few of the auction "outings."

although, I think posting auctions of very rare hats (like an original Bogie-owned hat or something like that) should still be OK. Probably more in the "Hats" section, though...I feel like it's safe to say that any hat going for $300+ is more of a curiosity that might be cool to point out to some folks, and let's face it, not many of us here are going to start a bidding war on a hat that's starting at $300 to begin with.

Feraud

Bartender
Great points all around. I have seen a lot of auctions posted lately too and wondered why we give ebay all that free advertising. It drives prices up for all of us and profits to the auction site.

Communication in p.m's or post-auction info. is good enough.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
havershaw said:
although, I think posting auctions of very rare hats (like an original Bogie-owned hat or something like that) should still be OK. Probably more in the "Hats" section, though...I feel like it's safe to say that any hat going for $300+ is more of a curiosity that might be cool to point out to some folks, and let's face it, not many of us here are going to start a bidding war on a hat that's starting at $300 to begin with.

Don't bet on it, Havershaw. There are some folks around here with deep pockets. Not many, but some.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ebay Listings in the HATS section

havershaw said:
yes! I have lost a little sleep over a few of the auction "outings."

Let me chime in here. NO EBAY listings will be allowed in the HATS section. We are NOT a shill for Ebay. I understand that members want to "help" share the good news of a nice find, but it quickly becomes just a place to chat about another web site.

My practice is to allow someone to post a link, as a convenient way to show an item on Ebay THAT THE POSTER HAS WON.

You can post a picture of the hat, or describe it, or ask someone's opinion, but do not post the Ebay link for live auctions. PM someone, or give them a call.

It is not fair to advertise the listing in that some people are bidding and "spreading the word" only drives up prices. OK if you are the seller, no? But it's tough on the buyer.

The purpose of the LOUNGE is to discuss, not advertise. Hope this helps.

Michaelson

One Too Many
It has been a standard rule over at COW that unless an auction belongs to the poster, it is NOT allowed for the very reasons given in the posts above, and when found, deleted immediately.

Regards! Michaelson

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Andykev said:
You can post a picture of the hat, or describe it, or ask someone's opinion, but do not post the Ebay link for live auctions.

Andy, I would go even further. I'd say it's best not to even post a picture of the hat. Describing it is not a good idea, either. Unless the poster specifically (and, let's hope, honestly) says that the hat is not for sale, folks will easily guess that said hat is on eBay.

In short, keep it under your hats. (If you simply must ask a question, just PM specific people. Do no more than that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou