Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

average men's chest size during WWII was only 33 1/4"

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'm a Civil War reenactor, and I'm one of only 2 or 3 in the group that wear 'issue' sized uniforms (there were only four basic issue sizes then). I'm 5'7",140 lbs,almost exactly the median size as a real CW soldier, but I'm the smallest guy in the group.

filfoster

One Too Many
Size matters

jeep44 said:
I'm a Civil War reenactor, and I'm one of only 2 or 3 in the group that wear 'issue' sized uniforms (there were only four basic issue sizes then). I'm 5'7",140 lbs,almost exactly the median size as a real CW soldier, but I'm the smallest guy in the group.

This is an interesting thread, especially to military and uniform historians and collectors. Lots of exceptions can be seen in photos but the general idea of smaller sized men of military age in the Civil War -WWII seems like a settled thing. Whatever combination of diet, genetics and/or and lack of exercise has so dramatically changed this, is also interesting.

Re reenacting: Doesn't this mean that for most reenacting purposes, your generously sized, modern-day citizen of whatever nationality now, is really not an accurate portrayal? He's (OK and 'she's') too well fed and healthy looking. I have heard this is a major point of controversy in the 'authentics' camp of reenactors who strive for authenticity, especially for photographic purposes.

filfoster said:
This is an interesting thread, especially to military and uniform historians and collectors. Lots of exceptions can be seen in photos but the general idea of smaller sized men of military age in the Civil War -WWII seems like a settled thing. Whatever combination of diet, genetics and/or and lack of exercise has so dramatically changed this, is also interesting.

Re reenacting: Doesn't this mean that for most reenacting purposes, your generously sized, modern-day citizen of whatever nationality now, is really not an accurate portrayal? He's (OK and 'she's') too well fed and healthy looking. I have heard this is a major point of controversy in the 'authentics' camp of reenactors who strive for authenticity, especially for photographic purposes.
Absolutely but how many folks can you get that look like battle-worn, under fed, tired, discouraged troops just on certain weekends a month? When I was younger & in much better shape, we went as authentic as possible, sleeping in trenches, hard-tack & canteen water for days. We looked pretty ragged at the end of the event but we had to mingle with polite society back at work. To be able to afford reenacting typically requires somebody who is making a good salary & enjoying the fruits of that lifestyle. JMHO

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
filfoster said:

I think you're right about that.:eusa_clap When I see re-enacted photographs or films, those involved invariably look too well-fed to be realistic. Yet as gtdean48 points out, it is difficult to find re-enactors who fit the role, especially since many of the former are well-off enough to afford to be re-enacting.[huh]

jeep44

One of the Regulars
filfoster said:

It's hard to duplicate the look that was described at the time as " A lean and hungry set of wolves" Look at these Federal troops:

FederalWesternSoldiers-1.jpg

This is as close as I can get:

walkertav.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
Consider things like Growth Hormones in Beef...

Consider things like Growth Hormones in Beef, which have been introduced since WW II.

Since the 1950's the meat industry has been adding growth hormones to cattle feed to maximize the weight of their cattle. The kids of America eat the hormone-rich beef and entire generations of kids gets bigger than their parents.

Lots of similar chemical changes have been introduced at stages all along the food chain.

Look at the faces of the guys in those photos from the Civil War. Those are the faces of kids who ate food fresh from the farm, meat from animals that they raised themselves.

People who grew up in the last half century have been consuming processed food with many more artificial ingredients that were unknown to Billy Yank or Johnny Reb.

For a bit more on this topic (and I apologize in advance if it makes you lose your appetite), but check out this article from today's NY Times on the use of ammonia in beef processing:
Safety of Beef Processing Method Is Questioned

Best of luck...

filfoster

One Too Many
Put a fork in it

Corky said:
Consider things like Growth Hormones in Beef, which have been introduced since WW II.

Since the 1950's the meat industry has been adding growth hormones to cattle feed to maximize the weight of their cattle. The kids of America eat the hormone-rich beef and entire generations of kids gets bigger than their parents.

Lots of similar chemical changes have been introduced at stages all along the food chain.

Look at the faces of the guys in those photos from the Civil War. Those are the faces of kids who ate food fresh from the farm, meat from animals that they raised themselves.

People who grew up in the last half century have been consuming processed food with many more artificial ingredients that were unknown to Billy Yank or Johnny Reb.

For a bit more on this topic (and I apologize in advance if it makes you lose your appetite), but check out this article from today's NY Times on the use of ammonia in beef processing:
Safety of Beef Processing Method Is Questioned

Best of luck...
Corky: Sometimes, it's just better not to know...like making sausage, to use another meat metaphor. Now, pass me the salt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk