Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI Leather seal A-2 Jacket Review (pic heavy)

NABodie

New in Town
I've got a horse in seal so I wouldn't mind having a goat in russet but I'd not like three piece sleeves!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, original Broncos were made from both horsehide and goat. I think thier choice to use goat is a clever one. Authentic and also cheaper to use, keep those costs down. Horsehide pumps costs up drastically. Goat is generally also very durable...
I like the colour they have used... OK, based on the pics... need to see it in person, but I like this mid brown.
Ive seen a number of WW2 A-2s in this mid brown/ mid Seal colour, but have not seen many repro makers use it?
Aero's old smooth mid brown came close... BK's Liberty seal perhaps also...

Brettafett

One Too Many
I stand to be corrected, but I think the russet one was their first go at an A-2, roughly basing it off pics of a Bronco perhaps. The Seal version came later, which was a better version.. and a nice jacket.
The 'new' incarnation is a clone, patterned and detailed off an original WW2 Bronco they sourced and used (pic above). So, the new jacket is, or should be, a proper clone/copy of an original WW2 Bronco 29191... It should look and fit the same. A very different jacket to the previous two.
If this is the case, that we have a relatively accurate copy of an original contract WW2 A-2, at less than half the price of the 'big guns', then we have a game changer here (I do not expect them to use the high end bits and pieces that GW, ELC or the Japanese makers use... that would be too expensive, but an accurate pattern, decent hide and quality components... then...). We will see soon enough.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I stand to be corrected, but I think the russet one was their first go at an A-2, roughly basing it off pics of a Bronco perhaps. The Seal version came later, which was a better version.. and a nice jacket.
The 'new' incarnation is a clone, patterned and detailed off an original WW2 Bronco they sourced and used (pic above). So, the new jacket is, or should be, a proper clone/copy of an original WW2 Bronco 29191... It should look and fit the same. A very different jacket to the previous two.
If this is the case, that we have a relatively accurate copy of an original contract WW2 A-2, at less than half the price of the 'big guns', then we have a game changer here (I do not expect them to use the high end bits and pieces that GW, ELC or the Japanese makers use... that would be too expensive, but an accurate pattern, decent hide and quality components... then...). We will see soon enough.
Like your comment “ relatively accurate and game changer ”...please forgive me if I dont agree...with neither words....its far from an accurate repro and sure no game changer, but maybe only not yet...there is a lot of room for improvement to be “realatively accurate and a sure game changer “ IMHO.
Again only IMHO ...but surely soon they will improve the knitting, metalware, label, stitching ( aouch) cut and skins and become a challenger in the repro jacket world...

Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I like what I've seen from this brand so far but the only thing that always jumps out at me is the knits at the waist. On this model and the A1 they did they just don't quite look right to me somehow, they seem quite big and to 'come out' of the jacket, rather than looking apart of it - Maybe its just the photos they take and with wear it will look more normal.

NABodie

New in Town
I sent an email off inquiring about the new Bronco pattern jackets this morning and was advised they were working on photographing the new version of the jackets and should have the website updated in the next 2-3 weeks. I also asked about sizing on the new version and they sent along this sizing chart.

37511103784_1c320d42fc_b.jpg

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I sent an email off inquiring about the new Bronco pattern jackets this morning and was advised they were working on photographing the new version of the jackets and should have the website updated in the next 2-3 weeks. I also asked about sizing on the new version and they sent along this sizing chart.

37511103784_1c320d42fc_b.jpg

I've got photos of the new jacket - it looks the business. Very nice.

Knits look much more authentic than the earlier version of the A2 they did!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Now that's what the market has been missing. Just the measurements alone are a useful contribution. Trim.

Most people I know are not much interested in a stitch for stitch replica but they do want a jacket that doesn't look like a 1980's blowsy sack of ****

I am interested in the quality of the lining. Is it thick, robust feeling cotton?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Now that's what the market has been missing. Just the measurements alone are a useful contribution. Trim.
Most people I know are not much interested in a stitch for stitch replica but they do want a jacket that doesn't look like a 1980's blowsy sack of **** I am interested in the quality of the lining. Is it thick, robust feeling cotton?
Based on the Seal version I had, the lining was very similar to any top tier A-2 repro I’ve had. No issues there… My issue were the knits, but these have been upgraded…
And I couldn’t agree more with your comments above.
This could be the first mid priced A-2, based on an actual original WW2 pattern.
I’m not expecting GW details, but just looking at it, it looks pretty good. ‘A’ for effort… we will see.
Am really looking forward to reviewing this one.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thats all I have Coop... but will take some close up pics and give a detailed run down when I have one in hand. Pros and cons to be fair...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner