Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI Leather seal A-2 Jacket Review (pic heavy)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all, two very poor quick-pics (bedroom light, camera phone) just to give you an idea... I know what its like waiting for pics, but I will only be able to take decent shots later this week and intend to post a detailed review by weekend...ish.
Approx measurements (for ref I am 5'10+, 158 pounds, 72kgs+-, trim athletic build):
Size 40
Back 25.5", Shoulders 17.5", Sleeve incl knit 26", pit to pit 21.5", zipper 22.5"
View attachment 93409
Size 42
Back 26.5", Shoulders 18.25", Sleeve incl knit 26.5", pit to pit 22", zipper 22.75"
View attachment 93410
Usually wear a 40 in a high end repro, but in this case the 42 fits me better.
First impressions are... good, for the cash... wow.
Just my opinion, but I think the 40 looks better on you: the shoulders look absolutely perfect and the fit's nice and trim. How does it feel? I'm asking because I'm almost exactly your height and weight. Nice jacket.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not as professional as @Brettafett but here's the overweight me in the jacket. This is my favorite jacket now!
That looks perfect on you. Jacket sizing's a bitch: as I said above, I'm the exact size and weight as Brettafelt, but I'm normally a 38. My Aero LHB's a 38 and couldn't fit more perfectly, but for this one I'd want a 42? This is why God made Thurston Bros.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Absolutely beautiful. I have started writing up a review, still need to take pics. This is a great jacket guys and well worth considering!

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to see these evolve. The nearest equivalents to this in recent years, I think, have been Aeriel Star (no longer trading), and the early Bill Kelso, before they decided to get into the contract repro market. Seems to me there's a place for this, not least among the rockabilly crowd who, moreso than many jacket enthusiasts who are into the flying jackets, gravitate to the 'close to' versions - which, after all, are much more representative of the jackets worn by civilians in the late 40s / into the 50s.

I would guess these are not being made in Europe, owing to the price (the price quoted above is about what Aero were charging ten years ago). With leather goods at this price most probably they are sourced in India or Pakistan (goat is much more common in Indian made jackets than any other leather in my experience). Both countries can produce very nice stuff indeed if they're not working to an 'as cheap as possible' budget.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just my opinion, but I think the 40 looks better on you: the shoulders look absolutely perfect and the fit's nice and trim. How does it feel? I'm asking because I'm almost exactly your height and weight. Nice jacket.
The 40 feels ok, a touch trim.... I like trim, but prefer the 42. With the 40, when I lift my arms, the sleeves pull way up...
Theres only a slight difference is size, mostly its the lengths I prefer. It also feels more comfy to wear. I recon as it moulds and creases it will fit like a glove.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Confirm , AVI team made good job. Nice jacket.
Now there are detailed photos on the AVI website, the link was kindly provided by Brett above.

Here are some pics of mine size 40.

YNhud.jpg
YNhud.jpg

IuYJk.jpg

0v7bU.jpg

I apologize for the pics from phone.

This new AVI-Bronco, size 40.
Fits perfectly, tightly, as I love)))
My height is 180 cm, chest 100 cm, weight 78 kg.

Last edited:

nkang

One of the Regulars
I agree. I really like it.
Over time, it will repeat all the outlines of the body and will look even better.
I second that. This jacket will most likely age well with the body. Honestly, it feels better than my Cockpit USA and it's much cheaper. I think AVI LTHR over-delivered on their promise, which is why we're so excited and satisfied.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Just curious, @Flightengineer how do you post with pictures embedded in the post?

I place pictures on the photo hosting. There are a lot of them in web, you can choose.
Then from there I take the link (you can choose different options, with previews or in full size) and just copy to post - and you see pictures.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just curious, @Flightengineer how do you post with pictures embedded in the post?

If you use Tapatalk, you can easily attach pics without going outside to a third party and copying links.

A nice looking jacket and I agree that these guys could cement themselves in a very attractive segment of the market...an accurate (if not stitch for stitch which I begin to think is a bit of an urban legend personally) but affordable jacket.

Hope it works out for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Wow!
very nice.
Well done!
Thx for sharing
PS: love the Me 109 E prop blade ( I guess 109E)

You did not guess right. Perhaps the angle of camera, taken from above and at an angle, made you think about Me-109.
This is Hamilton Standard blade from C-45.

Attachments

• 20170717_172632_742x1267.jpg
    20170717_172632_742x1267.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,791
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner