Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR Bronco updated 2019 version

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hello all,
I have literally just received an email from AVI LTHR, that their updated Broncos have arrived.
These are made from a veg-tanned seal goatskin, and from the pics at least... the jackets look pretty neat and tidy. Those pocket flaps are a step up, as is the knit...
AVI recon there's been a complete revamp, new supplier etc.
Website will reflect soon, but these are now in stock and are shipping. I have a 42 on the way...
Watch this space.
AVI LEATHER BRONCO 2.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 1.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 4.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 5.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 6.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 7.jpg

AVI LEATHER BRONCO 9.jpg

Tefouane

A-List Customer
Unfortunately the sleeves and back lenght are smaller than previous version. 1.5 centimeters less in both. For athletic guys with long arms it's over now....

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Did they ever confirm country of manufacture? I vaguely recall that the factory was also selling direct on eBay, but I can't recall where it was based. India?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure they said it was in Asia but not sure the country was stated. There's something about the way it's done that looks subcontinental to me. Like Magnoli's jackets.

Brettafett

One Too Many
My understanding is that the company itself, is in Denmark.
The goatskin Broncos and G-1s are made in Pakistan and the horsehide Perry is being developed in India. All patterns are copied from original war-time jackets owned by AVI.
The original Bronco and G-1 patterns copied off AVI's original war-time jackets were 'shared' and 'copied' (without AVI's permission) by other local suppliers, and offered on Ebay and elsewhere, by the likes of 5 Star. So those jackets are copies of a copy.
The updated 2019 Bronco has apparently been re-copied and new patterns created, and is offered in veg-tanned goatskin.
I think AVI has taken steps to avoid these and future patterns being copied and offered by other vendors.
All this you can check with AVI themselves. Always better to ask the proverbial horse ;)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Unfortunately the sleeves and back lenght are smaller than previous version. 1.5 centimeters less in both. For athletic guys with long arms it's over now.... Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk
Perhaps this is because they re-copied the pattern. I would assume that its a more faithful reproduction, but who knows... Ill have one soon to check.

Royalcrown32

One of the Regulars
I love my AVI Bronco. The only thing worth upgrading in my opinion is the zipper. If they would use a Japanese made alloy Talon, the jacket would be perfect. Can't wait for their upgraded G1.

Edward

Bartender
My understanding is that the company itself, is in Denmark.
The goatskin Broncos and G-1s are made in Pakistan and the horsehide Perry is being developed in India. All patterns are copied from original war-time jackets owned by AVI.
The original Bronco and G-1 patterns copied off AVI's original war-time jackets were 'shared' and 'copied' (without AVI's permission) by other local suppliers, and offered on Ebay and elsewhere, by the likes of 5 Star. So those jackets are copies of a copy.
The updated 2019 Bronco has apparently been re-copied and new patterns created, and is offered in veg-tanned goatskin.
I think AVI has taken steps to avoid these and future patterns being copied and offered by other vendors.
All this you can check with AVI themselves. Always better to ask the proverbial horse ;)

Yes, the company is Denmark-based, though obviously that's not where the manufacture is. Pakistan and India make sense from the pov thats where a very large quantity of leather garments on the European clothing / fashion markets are made, and has been so for a long time. At the price they're able to do them for, it was never going to be European manufacture (labour costs being much higher here).

Outside the "First world", people often play fast and loose with a company's IP (while the A2 design is not protected, AVI's patterns would have been copyrightable under EU law); it's not entirely unusual for black market "counterfeit" goods in China, for example, to be made in the same factory as the real thing, often even from the same materials (some places will literally just double up their materials, and the surplus production, once the order is fulfilled, will go out the side door). Would have been interesting to compare the apparent knock-offs side by side with the primary production run for AVI to see what an accurate-looking, budget level A2 would be like. With the eBay sellers (at least those who can be trusted to sell their own goods, rather than rip off photos from the Aero website or wherever and make an approximation thereof for anyone who actually orders) and the premium makers, it seems there are now A2s that at least look the part across quite a range of prices.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Brettafett, thanks for posting that!

I really like AVI A-2 and G-1 but they never did my size until now- nice to see sizes 46 and 48 available now!

I'm definitely up for one each of those when my one year of giving up buying jackets ends in November.
And an Aero Letterman jacket.
And a red nylon Daddy-O windbreaker.
And a Cal Leathers CHP.
And an Irvin.
And I've got to get me one of those Aero Russian flight jackets.

Oh man, this never ends.

Brettafett

One Too Many
By the look of the photos, the one thing I may want to replace (assuming it fits of course), is some lighter mid brown knit.
For the price, thats easy enough to do, with some MASH or Larry knits. But lets hold assumptions till the thing is in-hand ;)
I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison with a goatskin Goodwear Bronco, just for interest sakes. Simply comparing what you get for what you pay...
A few have commented, comparing them to GW, ELC etc... but these, although really nice, are not in that league. The artisans in those counties are just not as sophisticated or experienced with the details and make-up of these jackets, as the US, UK an EU teams... They're getting better though.
That said, the Chinese seem to have handle on the copying thing... Pity they are not yet focusing on the western market. That will likely change also. They have some great repro-copies ;)
As prices of top-tier... ELCs, BKs and GWs go sky high, these new mid-range jacket makers seem to be popping on the scene at reasonable prices and improving accuracy and authenticity. Good times...
(all that said, I have to say, Platon's Dubow is a no-brainer... Such a good jacket, at such a good price. If you like A-2s AND authenticity... and this pattern fits, you owe it to yourself to get one. It can't be beat. How long can he keep this up I wonder...).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Brettafett,
There's a guy on eBay selling excellent repro knits. I can't remember his user ID though, but I've bought many replacement knits from him.
I can't speak about original A-2s coz I've never handled one, but I've got a bunch of 60's G-1s, and the attention to detail is all over the place; misplaced pockets, bad stitching etc, so I don't think that guys in Pakistan or whatever are making a less than accurate copy of 'good enough for government work' jackets.
I've got one of the pre-revamp ELC G-1s, and the quality of materials and construction is unrealistically superior to 60's G-1s.

Brettafett

One Too Many
For sure Big J, everyone who actually owns originals will tell you exactly that.
I recon that Ebay seller is Larry. I've bought from him a few times before. Good quality. On par with most of the top-tier makers knits... Want to try Mash's knits, just to be able to compare...
Quality-wise those Asian guys make good jackets. Its more the attention to detail when copying. Some of the fine details of how the leather folds, the stitching, small things here and there.... No one but enthusiasts will notice.
% Star Leathers for example, makes a very neat and tidy A-2. This guy could make a fantastic original-maker A-2, if he could get his hands on one and copy it properly.

Brettafett

One Too Many
In fact, to add... I did notice with the couple of originals I've owned. The quality was a bit all over the place, not quite as neat as a GW or Eastman. Well-made obviously, but some stitching was untidy, label, pockets and collar not quite centred, etc... But then again, thats only a small few jackets, 80 odd years old, and only a minuscule cross-section of jackets produced in the era.
You cannot take a GW A-2 that John meticulously copied from an original (maybe even two or three and averaging out as he has told me), and then compare with the same contract made by another top tier maker, who also has an original of the very same contract (which more than likely will show variation of some sort)... or even someone like AVI, who has also had a copy made from an original of the same contract again, and say, "look its not accurate, compared to John's... just silly". What you can say, is that John's interpretation is very sophisticated, as is BK, ELC etc... But these are all still interpretations and 'copies' of surviving originals (which all vary somewhat themselves)... AVI's guys in comparison may not be quite as sophisticated. Yet.
General 'contract-specific' details and build-quality is still there....
Anyway, whatever...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They look pretty good. I wonder if they plan to do long sizes since these are somewhat short in the arms and body. Main problem with most reproductions as I see it are epaulets too far forward, odd looking knits, wrong lining, too wide shoulders and baggy cut. This seems to deal with those issues well. There's no reason why a cheap, accurate A2 should not be available.

giverardi

New in Town
Hi all,

I am a new member of this forum and have read all your interesting posts about A2 jackets . I would like to buy a new AVI A2 Bronco seal leather jacket. I am 174 cm and 77 Kg, my chest is 104-105 cm. Soon I will ask Morten for his advice on the size. But I would much appreciate also your opinions and suggestions. I think I should order a 42 jacket in order to have a room around the chest circumference of at least 55x2 - 105=5 cm (2”) . What do you think: is this room acceptable for a regular fit ? I hope this size will not have too much back length for me. Moreover I think the 40 could have an insufficient room around chest and the 44 could have too much back length.

Grateful for your help.

Giuseppe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy