Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR's 'new' Bronco pics!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Recently received AVI’s ‘new’ Bronco incarnation and promised to show-&-tell.
Overall, I’m very happy with the jacket.
Well-made, fits to a T and is arguably the best Bronco pattern they have made to date.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021004.JPG

This is the horsehide version. Its light, supple and feels to be about the correct weight (on the lighter side) and thickness.
Very easy to wear. You could actually wear this sat in a car or plane and feel very at ease in it.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021003.JPG

They nailed the seal colour. Theres some grain there and texture.
No - Warhorse, Liberty, Shinki, Horween or Vicenza this is not, but neither can we expect it to be, at this price point.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021009.JPG

This is a regular 42 with an inch added to sleeves, and its… perfect!
Im 5’10, 72kgs/ 158 pounds, 40” chest, trim and wear a 42 original A-2, and by extension, 42 in most high end repros. I can wear with a T-shirt and also layer with a light sweater.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021012.JPG

As we all know this jacket is copied off their original, so its true to WW2 fit and sizing.
I’d go with your regular chest size, and tweak lengths if need be.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021013.JPG

AVI has a new system where you choose your size and can add lengths to body and sleeve if you choose… I guess you can ask for any reasonable customisation… Took about 2 weeks from date of order to trying on for the first time.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021011.JPG

The pattern is great! I don’t have an original WWII Bronco at hand to compare it with, but AVI did a good job emulating their original with this one. Scalloped pockets and collar profile look good, and they placed the epaulets correctly on top of the shoulders (slightly back), a fault sometimes overlooked by some.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021014.JPG

The knits are decent. Not 100% wool, in fact not wool I’d say. Likely some type of blend.
However, they are seamless, have a close-to-correct weave and are single ply. These will last.
No need to go swopping out knits on the one… Brown thread is neat and tidy.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021019.JPG

Most of the detailing is there, but there is always room to improve even more.
The hardware is not high end, but again, cant expect NOS at this price. Standard Talon repro zipper looks fine and does the job and do the repro Talon snaps.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021035.JPG

End Part 1

Attachments

• AVI LTHR Bronco 2021015.JPG
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021015.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 96

Brettafett

One Too Many
... Part 2
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021036.JPG

AVI LTHR Bronco 2021015.JPG

The throat hooks and collar snaps will have the purists frown. Eyelets don’t have holes and a glaring omission, is the collar studs don’t go through the lining with a cover.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021016.JPG

For me, and some others Ive spoken too, a very obvious detail is the label. AVI has elected to go with a generic AVI 29191 label. I guess Avirex, Cockpit, US Wings and others have done the same thing.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021017.JPG

Personally, going to lengths to recreate a particular original maker A-2, I’d have used the Bronco 29191 label also.
That doesn’t detract from the jacket itself, however.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021031.JPG

Who’s this jacket for?
Someone looking at their first foray into a decent A-2 repro, without losing a kidney or $$££
Someone looking for a second jacket to patch or paint up and doesn’t dare ‘experiment’ with their high end jacket…
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021030.JPG

This is another great all-round beater, a practical, useable jacket, that looks the part. A perfect template to work out your A-2 fit and measurements (for when you end up ordering your high end A-2) without spending $£$£.
Thanks

Brettafett

One Too Many
And lastly, a comparison with their 2019 goat version.
Despite owning a number of top end jackets, I love wearing the AVI goat jacket, its so light and comfy... My only gripe is that the sleeves could have done with another inch (rectified with the new HH jacket)...
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021032.JPG

Attachments

• AVI LTHR Bronco 2021034.JPG
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021034.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 189

Brettafett

One Too Many
For the USN fans...
I was told ages ago that AVI had acquired and will be making a repro of a Star Sportswear G-1. I asked about this when ordering the A-2 and was told it would still be a while, but...
I was shown a pic of their G&F M-422a test jacket, they recently received!!!
Liking the look of this already!!!
IMG-20211012-WA0019.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
This jacket is up for sale!
Now that I have my GW Bronco, its time to move this to a new home.
Will be in the Classifieds section soon.
AVI Bronco 42 3.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB