AVI LTHR's 'new' Bronco pics!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Brettafett, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

Recently received AVI’s ‘new’ Bronco incarnation and promised to show-&-tell.
    Overall, I’m very happy with the jacket.
    Well-made, fits to a T and is arguably the best Bronco pattern they have made to date.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021004.JPG
    This is the horsehide version. Its light, supple and feels to be about the correct weight (on the lighter side) and thickness.
    Very easy to wear. You could actually wear this sat in a car or plane and feel very at ease in it.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021003.JPG
    They nailed the seal colour. Theres some grain there and texture.
    No - Warhorse, Liberty, Shinki, Horween or Vicenza this is not, but neither can we expect it to be, at this price point.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021009.JPG
    This is a regular 42 with an inch added to sleeves, and its… perfect!
    Im 5’10, 72kgs/ 158 pounds, 40” chest, trim and wear a 42 original A-2, and by extension, 42 in most high end repros. I can wear with a T-shirt and also layer with a light sweater.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021012.JPG
    As we all know this jacket is copied off their original, so its true to WW2 fit and sizing.
    I’d go with your regular chest size, and tweak lengths if need be.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021013.JPG
    AVI has a new system where you choose your size and can add lengths to body and sleeve if you choose… I guess you can ask for any reasonable customisation… Took about 2 weeks from date of order to trying on for the first time.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021011.JPG
    The pattern is great! I don’t have an original WWII Bronco at hand to compare it with, but AVI did a good job emulating their original with this one. Scalloped pockets and collar profile look good, and they placed the epaulets correctly on top of the shoulders (slightly back), a fault sometimes overlooked by some.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021014.JPG
    The knits are decent. Not 100% wool, in fact not wool I’d say. Likely some type of blend.
    However, they are seamless, have a close-to-correct weave and are single ply. These will last.
    No need to go swopping out knits on the one… Brown thread is neat and tidy.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021019.JPG
    Most of the detailing is there, but there is always room to improve even more.
    The hardware is not high end, but again, cant expect NOS at this price. Standard Talon repro zipper looks fine and does the job and do the repro Talon snaps.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021035.JPG
    End Part 1

Attached Files:

2. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

... Part 2
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021036.JPG
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021015.JPG
    The throat hooks and collar snaps will have the purists frown. Eyelets don’t have holes and a glaring omission, is the collar studs don’t go through the lining with a cover.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021016.JPG
    For me, and some others Ive spoken too, a very obvious detail is the label. AVI has elected to go with a generic AVI 29191 label. I guess Avirex, Cockpit, US Wings and others have done the same thing.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021017.JPG
    Personally, going to lengths to recreate a particular original maker A-2, I’d have used the Bronco 29191 label also.
    That doesn’t detract from the jacket itself, however.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021031.JPG
    Who’s this jacket for?
    Someone looking at their first foray into a decent A-2 repro, without losing a kidney or $$££
    Someone looking for a second jacket to patch or paint up and doesn’t dare ‘experiment’ with their high end jacket…
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021030.JPG
    This is another great all-round beater, a practical, useable jacket, that looks the part. A perfect template to work out your A-2 fit and measurements (for when you end up ordering your high end A-2) without spending $£$£.
    Thanks

3. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

Compare with some WW2 pics and some originals
    Bronco WW2 A-2.jpg
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021002.JPG
    Bronco Originals WW2.jpg

4. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Nicely written and informative. Thanks .

a very nice fit too!

Brettafett likes this.
  5. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

Some comparison shots with some other jackets... Not too shabby AVI.
    BK Dubow left, AVI Bronco right
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021021.JPG
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021022.JPG AVI LTHR Bronco 2021023.JPG
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021024.JPG AVI LTHR Bronco 2021025.JPG AVI LTHR Bronco 2021026.JPG AVI LTHR Bronco 2021027.JPG
    With Platon's Dubow left, AVI Bronco right
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021028.JPG

Imuricecreamman likes this.
  6. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

You did well …

Brettafett likes this.
  7. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

Toying with embellishing this with 75thFS 23FG patches from Sean Collins... But, Im going to sit with it for a while.
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021010.JPG

8. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

And lastly, a comparison with their 2019 goat version.
    Despite owning a number of top end jackets, I love wearing the AVI goat jacket, its so light and comfy... My only gripe is that the sleeves could have done with another inch (rectified with the new HH jacket)...
    AVI LTHR Bronco 2021032.JPG

Attached Files:

9. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

For the USN fans...
    I was told ages ago that AVI had acquired and will be making a repro of a Star Sportswear G-1. I asked about this when ordering the A-2 and was told it would still be a while, but...
    I was shown a pic of their G&F M-422a test jacket, they recently received!!!
    Liking the look of this already!!!
    IMG-20211012-WA0019.jpg