Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation art

Rufus

Practically Family
I don't know if they'd be of interest... But I have a collection of original Paintings from Air Ace, Battle and war Picture Library Books... the little digest comics all UK schoolboys read from 1958-1980.

If there is an interest I'll Photograph some and post them.

While not depicting 'real' moments, there's some glorious illustration.

:) Rufus

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Rufus said:
I don't know if they'd be of interest... But I have a collection of original Paintings from Air Ace, Battle and war Picture Library Books... the little digest comics all UK schoolboys read from 1958-1980.

Rufus!

I would love to see them, I grew up on Battle, Air Ace (obviously a big favourite) and Commando comics. I must've had hundreds of the things.

Please post some pics, be fun to see them.

Rufus

Practically Family
Well... ok then!

The war books started in 1958 from Fleetway. War Picture Library, Battle Picture Library and Air Ace.

I grew up in the 1970s, and these were stilling be reprinted. Fleetway simple repackaged old stories and covers with new titles and numbers.

First off... one of my personal favourites, Jordi Penalva, an unbelievably talented artist from Spain.

This was originally Battle Picture Library #228, November 1965, 'Raven's Revenge'.

JP_BPL228.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
Next....

Ian Kennedy, a superb Scottish artist still working today for Commando Library.
Air Ace Library # 65, 'Steel Bats', from August 1961

IK_AA428.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
Another one... this one is a real Classic...

Pino Dell'Orco, one of the greatest aviation artists ever...

Air Ace #169, 'Achtung, Spitfeur!', October 1963.
This was memorably reused as the Air Ace 1969 Annual Cover...

PDO_AA169.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Rufus, I really enjoyed those.

You and I must be a similar age, as I grew up with them as well. My Dad used to buy them for me (and could be found having the odd poke through them himself).

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:

These are great pieces of work, can I ask how you came to own them? Some of these illustrators were top notch. I remember having a book of WW2 aircraft, showing the planes in various elevations - my favourite was always Pino Dell'Orco. Makes me nostalgic for that pre-computer era.....

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi Ethan,

You can get a great book my friend David Roach wrote recently, called, 'AARRGGHH!! It's War' from Prion Books. It's packed full of all these sorts of covers.

I've collected Comic book art for nearly 20 years. Some of these were bought through auctions, from other collectors, and then IPC (Who bought Fleetway Publications) sold the remainder to a private individual, whom periodically sells them through a dealer.

Dell'Orco is my favourite Aviation artist. Victor de la Fuente and Jordi Penalva are my favourite Combat artist (Also Allesandro Biffiignandi!!).

Here's a De la Fuente... not aviation, but stunning none the less! He's one of the most copied artist in 20th century illustration. His way of drawing and compositions have inspired at least 4 generations of artists.... me included!!

DLF_BPL332.jpg

I'll dig out some more aviaion ones... just got a Monday deadline...and as usual... I'm procrastinatiing!

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Barrie A.F. Clark

I have always been drawn to the painting entitled "Spitfire" painted by Barrie A.F. Clark.
I guess I pointed it out to my dad so many times, that he gave me a framed print for my birthday some years ago.
I still get tingles looking at it.

Regards.

C79

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
Hi Ethan,

You can get a great book my friend David Roach wrote recently, called, 'AARRGGHH!! It's War' from Prion Books. It's packed full of all these sorts of covers.

I've collected Comic book art for nearly 20 years. Some of these were bought through auctions, from other collectors, and then IPC (Who bought Fleetway Publications) sold the remainder to a private individual, whom periodically sells them through a dealer.

Dell'Orco is my favourite Aviation artist. Victor de la Fuente and Jordi Penalva are my favourite Combat artist (Also Allesandro Biffiignandi!!).

Here's a De la Fuente... not aviation, but stunning none the less! He's one of the most copied artist in 20th century illustration. His way of drawing and compositions have inspired at least 4 generations of artists.... me included!!

DLF_BPL332.jpg

I'll dig out some more aviaion ones... just got a Monday deadline...and as usual... I'm procrastinatiing!
Good stuff Rufus, I'll definitely be on the look-out for that book. You've done well to collect such nice pieces, I remember looking at stuff downstairs in Comic Showcase, CharingX Rd, but the prices were way too steep for me then. I've tried to find a couple of BPL I'd kept for years, with no success - the artist was shamefully uncredited, but IMO he was the best at aircraft, always very clean and accurate. His figures were always good too, nice clean lines and good proportions - but often it was the composition in the
frame that was startling, with very clever use of light and shade. I wish I knew his name. I was surprised to see that these comics are still being sold,
I wonder who's buying them now? Probably the same crowd that'll be first in the queue for the Dambusters remake! Thanks for showing these, it brought back a lot of memories......

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Ian Kennedy

Rufus, I just looked on Google for Ian Kennedy and I'm now sure he is the artist I admired so much - and still do. I found this also,

http://www.whereeaglesdare.eu/

where there's also a lot of good stuff.

For advertising work, have you come across Andrew Loomis? Not at all military, but you may like his approach.

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi Ethan, I'm pretty sure it's Ian Kennedy who's work you admired!

there's a great companion book called, 'The War Libraries'. It's again by my friends david Roach and Steve Holland, and is an index to all the Fleetway war books.

It could help track down the issues you want.

It's published by Book Palace Books, and Book Palace (Run by Geoff West) sell the book, and copies of the Original War Library comics.
Their site is... http://www.bookpalace.com/

Comic Showcase was run by my friend Paul...I bought a LOT of art there.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Cover Art

Hi Rufus, I'd certainly like to get some of those issues again, so thanks for the heads-up. Great cover again - a staggered horizon, the feathered prop, bits flying off - I reckon you wouldn't see that top turret from this pov, but we must have guns on these things - lots of them! - so, it's been transplanted up and along a bit, proper artistic license! Fantastic. Sorry to see Comic Showcase is no longer there - any idea what happened?

Rufus

Practically Family
Mr E!

Showcase closed after the landlord's doubled the rent..

Paul'd already relocated twice because of the same thing... that last one was the final straw!

The fate of so many independant shops... :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred