Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviation art

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The other day I stumbled over this talented painter in UK, looking for Battle of Britain type pictures to decorate a wall in an advertising photosession I am working on.
TallyHo1600.jpg

He's work is really amazing!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Bought this print right away!

www.alexhamilton.net

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Fantastic stuff. My favourite aviation artists are Nick Trudgian (who taught me at college for a while!), Robert Taylor, Keith Ferris, Gil Cohen and Charles J. Thompson. Wish I was that good!

MB-17

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
...Signatures! Forgot to mention, there were 3 signatures from 85 squadron, Battle of Britain veterans in the bottom of the print I bought.:) :) and the artists ofcourse.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice painting Spitfire, you'll be pleased to have that!

I have this painting by Robert Taylor of Nicholson winning his VC during the Battle of Britain on my hall wall...

1113.jpg

I agree with Mikey's plug for Trudgian, he's brilliant. I've wanted his "Spitfire Country" ever since it was the cover for Stapme's autobiography...

Spitcountry.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
And another nice detail, Smithy. It's 85 squadron. Where characters like Lewis, Townsend and "Dicky" Lee served.
Really like your picture too. Dynamic.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I met Peter Townsend, Johnnie Johnson and Peter Brothers in the 1980s. I loved their typically British understatement when they described air fights in such a detached, calm and reserved manner.:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Most have been a great experience, Twitch.
You do not happen to know anything about Albert Lewis, by chance?
He moved to US for some time in the 50's, and went into farming. He also joined the latterday saints/mormon church as far as I know.

A-G-LEWIS-002.jpg

Seen her standing to the the right with "Dicky" Lee

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire, I haven't forgotten the Lee and Killy scan stuff for you, just been extra busy over the last couple of weeks. I'll try and get it done over the next day or two.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I have a print similar to the one below, I picked up at the Mighty Eighth Musuem in Pooler, near Savannah Georgia. The name on the bottom is R. Harper. Although I cannot find a copy on the net anywhere or any information about Harper. Here is a link to the story behind the print, if you have not heard of it. A few months after I bought the print the museum hosted Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler at a dinner and I was able to meet them, hear an amazing story and get the print signed. If I can take a good photograph of my print I will post it if anyone is interested.
Stigler_Brown.jpg

The aritst that made this print is Jamie Iverson, who seems very talented as well. I do enjoy the work of Gil Cohen and Robert Taylor as well.

Speaking of the Eighth Air Force, I had the privilege to participate in the Color Guard this past weekend for their 65th Anniversary. I, and the other person from my unit, were able to march with two of the veterans of the group. One was a B-17 pilot and the other a gunner.

Twitch

Never met up with Lewis sorry to say, Spit.

That's a great scene. The Bf 109G-6 caught at the moment it overshoots the B-17F! Franz Stigler related a story about the famous Palm Sunday massacre he was involved in over the Med back in the 80s. Riveting stuff.

Hamandbacon

New in Town
Wow! Those are Beautiful!!

:eusa_clap Those are great-looking paintings. I thought I would post a link to my favorite aviation artist. My favorite is the Mustang "B." Those colors are beautiful to me. Dan Witkoff is also a really nice guy. I talked with him on the phone a few years, when I was archiving some crash relics, since he has experience doing that as well.

http://www.glennhcurtiss.com/id47.htm

Jeff G.

Twitch

I've met Günther Rall. What a dynamic and facinating individual! He still has the agressive drive of a fighter pilot. I'd wager if you put him in the cockpit of a 109 again he'd still kick ass!

My all-time favorite ace is Hans Joachim Marseille. He was a true gunfighter marksman who used less rounds to down 158 enemies than anyone.

Marseille.jpg

ph-13562.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Apparently highly arrogant as well (but hardly surprising given his skill).

I seem to remember he was not popular with ground crews and lesser ranks for this reason.

A star that burnt bright but not long.

Wiseguy A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo