Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviator Sunglasses

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone know the history of classic tear-drop shaped aviator sunglasses? Were they first used in WWII? The Korean War? Vietnam? or when? Thanks.
Any other trivia about this iconic eyewear is appreciated!

My knowledge is, that someone in the USAF gave these order to Bausch & Lomb to develop the 3025-sunglasses, in 1936. B & L started production of sunprotecting glasses in 1934, I think.

I wear the Randophs - cheap, well made, understated.

BINGO!! Possibly the best value, definitely the best-made on the planet (that I am aware of). But, Cheap is a relative term. They don't give them away! I have 3 different pair. ALL TOP SHELF!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
BINGO!! Possibly the best value, definitely the best-made on the planet (that I am aware of). But, Cheap is a relative term. They don't give them away! I have 3 different pair. ALL TOP SHELF!

I say cheap because I can buy three pairs for what one pair of Ray Bans cost over here. I only wear the military issue versions.

robrinay

One Too Many
There are lots of Randolphs on eBay -I've bought two pairs from the US site for peanuts. Just buy and get the lenses swapped by a good optician or better yet a company that reglazes spectacles for opticians - that way you'll pay trade prices. I'm told they are US army issue hence the surfeit. They are also issued to UK train drivers so you might find them on eBay uk.
Best
Rob

I live in Randolph, where the RE factory is next to the Post Office. Otherwise, I might not be aware of them at all, say nothing of the unmatched quality. The factory store used to be a box of overstock or discontinued product. At one time they private labeled a line for someone called "SnakeEyes." They were also great in every respect; style, variety, performance, but best, the (one-time) price of $25 instead of the retail of around $200.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've moved from Oakley to Ray-Ban & now have a pair of folding Wayfarers (most worn sunglasses ever by me) & Polaroid Aviators. Firmly in the Ray-Ban camp these days :)

If you are referring are the older RayBans, made in the States, then right you are. But if you have been sold on the current versions, without having physically compared to the Randolphs, you owe it to yourself to do so (unless your particular style isn't available). There's definitely a reason these are military-specification compliant... You could be firmly in the Randolph camp, but please don't share this little secret!! All the best!

ingineer

One Too Many
Concur, the new Raybans are Ka-ka Middle empire $ht

Randolph Engineering is the way to go. that is why the have the military contract
and if you break a temple you can replace it
and there is enough dept in the frame to place RX leneses.
If you need to spent less then the AOs will do for non RX
I think another pair of crew chiefs are in order with the Drivewear installed

AdeeC

Practically Family
How do American Optics aviator sunglasses compare to the Randolph's? I have read they are much the same quality as the Randolph's but much cheaper. Anyone have any experience with both? Thanks.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
How do American Optics aviator sunglasses compare to the Randolph's? I have read they are much the same quality as the Randolph's but much cheaper. Anyone have any experience with both? Thanks.

I've owned both and severely abused both and all of mine have had the 55mm neutral grey lens with gold frames. The design of the AO's and Randolph's is identical because they were made for a military specification. I've got both, and supposedly the Randolph frames are built a little better than the AO frames, but I haven't really seen that in my experience. AO used to have the US military contract for these glasses until Randolph was given the contract.

To me, the only practical difference is that the Randolphs cost twice as much, and for the record, my AO's have outlasted my Randolphs in actual use and abuse. The only pair I've ever managed to scratch the lens on took a hard hit on asphalt followed by me landing on it, so no need for concern about durability of either.

In Australia, you'll pay an arm and a leg for either. Most likely you can get either maker's product a lot cheaper via mail from Marv Golden's discount pilot shop in San Diego.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic