Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avirex A-2

Dazines

New in Town
Hi everyone,

A few years ago, I came very close to buying an Aero A2, but never actually went through with it...Maybe that wasn't a bad thing as I've since lost over 9st so that jacket would have long since departed! Anyway, I have recenlty been pondering again the purchase of an A2 and have been keeping an eye on a few on ebay etc and trying to come to a decision, when last week I spotted this nice Avirex on there and after briefly reading this thread and in particular this comment:

They used that label for years and years. It was when they started making A-2s. The early ones are actually rather good jackets - small production runs, nice horsehide and NOS Talon zips etc.

I bought it...

So anyway it turned up today and I have to say, for my first A2 I'm really quite impressed!

It is a stiff, heavy hide (horse?) in a nice seal colour. It has a one-piece back, two-piece sleeves and a brass talon zipper. It's fairly snug. I will try and post some fit-pics later when I get home, but in the meantime, here are the pics from the ebay listing:

View media item 1044View media item 1045View media item 1046
It would be great if anyone could shed any more light on this jacket. I know that the brand doesn't command the greatest respect when it comes to accuracy (at least not these days)

Look forward to seeing if anyone knows any more?!

:)

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
I can't see the pics, but congrats anyway!

Cockpit G-1s were my gateway jacket and the early stuff was really well made especially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cocker

Practically Family
The leather looks a bit plasticy, appart from that, it seems to be a decent jacket. Now, we'll have to wait for the fit pics to check if it's a keeper or not! :)

How much did you pay for it?

Dazines

New in Town
The leather looks a bit plasticy, appart from that, it seems to be a decent jacket. Now, we'll have to wait for the fit pics to check if it's a keeper or not! :)

How much did you pay for it?

It looks less plasticky in the flesh....I'll take some pictures in a little while....It cost me around £85 ($110) including postage so it was worth a punt.

Cocker

Practically Family
Doesn't look bad at all! Sleeve length is ok, body is not baggy, that's great! Maybe a bit short in the back, but I think it's because of the kinda low waist jeans.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, I was watching that jacket on the 'bay ;) Thats pretty nice for $110! For that price, I would consider getting the cuffs and waistband replaced. Looks great! That was a good buy. Enjoy.

Dazines

New in Town
Thanks everyone, I've struggled to reply as I keep getting a 'server error' message :(

Anyway, yes that's not a bad idea regarding the replacing the cuffs and waistband at some point...No idea what kind of costs are involved in something like that!? I wore it on Saturday and it felt great...Nice not to have to worry too much about it as it wasn't too expensive.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My favorite kind of leather purchase - nice looking, good fit and affordable and, as you say, you don't have to think about it's welfare.

Cocker

Practically Family
Thanks everyone, I've struggled to reply as I keep getting a 'server error' message :(

Anyway, yes that's not a bad idea regarding the replacing the cuffs and waistband at some point...No idea what kind of costs are involved in something like that!? I wore it on Saturday and it felt great...Nice not to have to worry too much about it as it wasn't too expensive.

The knit parts themselves are pretty cheap, around 30USD for the whole set:

http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/cgi-bin/plist-eng.cgi?cno=87

As for the sewing, to be honnest, I don't know. I think I read somewhere here around 50USD.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've a pretty vintage, Avirex A2 in light Russet I got years ago when I first got hooked into this mess. I've since lost a tone of weight but I had it patched up to RedTails jacket and keep it out of sentimentality I suppose.

Worf

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Here's my early Avirex, it was '84 "The Right Stuff" Yeager for AC Delco before I transformed it.
6362e11443d66bb65994db7aab6c7fc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace