Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-17 and the B-24

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Both these fine airplanes were down at the Livermore, CA airport this weekend. Today and thru Friday, they are moving to Concord, CA airport (my home base). These are great planes, and sound wonderful. They have been flying over the area the whole week giving rides. Can you imagine 100's of these in the sky at one time!!

f86d98fd.jpg

f86d9902.jpg

f86d98e2.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
They are in great condition, these two will be in Sacramento, CA on Memorial Day (if schedule hasn’t changed) For the past few years they have, I flew in the B17 Nine-O-Nine, real smooth ride, every one should once in a life time.

Haversack

One Too Many
If they're in the area, then they should be showing up here over at Moffat. If I recall correctly though, they have repainted the PTO B24, "The Dragon and his Tail", into a more "family-friendly" ETO version. No more embarrassing questions about the nose art.

Haversack.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Haversack said:
If they're in the area, then they should be showing up here over at Moffat. If I recall correctly though, they have repainted the PTO B24, "The Dragon and his Tail", into a more "family-friendly" ETO version. No more embarrassing questions about the nose art.

Haversack.

It's now "Witchcraft", my wife rode in it at Thunder Over Michigan, where there were 9 B-17's in the air.

SGB

Hondo

One Too Many
Haversack said:

Haversack.

Embarrassing or Political correct ? lol

Schedule below:

5/16 - 5/22: Mountain View, CA (B-17, B-24 & B-25)
Airport: Moffett Federal Airfield

5/24 - 5/27: Sacramento, CA (B-17, B-24 & B-25)
Airport: McClellan Airfield

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

Mr. Steve

New in Town
I've seen these guys in Camarillo, CA. They are wonderful. Not only did I get to spent a lot of time around these birds, there were also some local old guys who been piolts and gunners during WWII. They told some great stories.

jake431

Practically Family
Here's a cool couple of wartime photos of the B-24.

Landing in the Pacific:
B-24Landing.jpg

A B-24D taking off (the nose wheel's up, or it's landing and it's gone), again, in the Pacific:
B-24DTharSheBlows.jpg

Here's a rough and ready B-24 crew:
431stBomberCrew.jpg

I hope someday to get a ride in Witchcraft myself. Not that it will be anything like what my Grandfather experienced, but still I think it's a chance of a lifetime thing to do.

Thanks,
-Jake

RIOT

Practically Family
B17 & B25

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here but here are some photos I took of the B-17G "YANKEE LADY" and the B-25D "YANKEE WARRIOR" at last years MAAM WWII Weekend.

B-17G
b17_rightside1.jpg

b17_leftside2.jpg

b17_leftfront1.jpg

b17_front2.jpg

b17_ballturret1.jpg

b17_tailgun1.jpg

B-25D
b25_rightside1.jpg

b25_leftfront1.jpg

b25_bombadier1.jpg

Stony

New in Town
I flew in the B17 Nine-O-Nine

I've been on a flight in the "Nine o Nine" twice. Once as a passenger and once to fly it from the co-pilot's seat. Needless to say it was a dream to fly and I was excited beyond anything I can say in this post. ;)

Hondo

One Too Many
Stony said:
I've been on a flight in the "Nine o Nine" twice. Once as a passenger and once to fly it from the co-pilot's seat. Needless to say it was a dream to fly and I was excited beyond anything I can say in this post. ;)

Wasn't she smooth, take off and landing? I rode the "Nine-o-Nine" and I'm no pilot but she was a beauty, really made my day, life time dream, what a thrill :)

BTW those are some great looking photos, Thanks for sharing :eusa_clap

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
jake431 said:
Here's a cool couple of wartime photos of the B-24.

Landing in the Pacific:
B-24Landing.jpg

A B-24D taking off (the nose wheel's up, or it's landing and it's gone), again, in the Pacific:
B-24DTharSheBlows.jpg

Here's a rough and ready B-24 crew:
431stBomberCrew.jpg

I hope someday to get a ride in Witchcraft myself. Not that it will be anything like what my Grandfather experienced, but still I think it's a chance of a lifetime thing to do.

Thanks,
-Jake
Looks like Millertime or is it Schlitz? Great photos,thanks Tailend

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
RIDE IN A B-17 ????????????????

Ride in a B - 17 ? Huh ! In the wonderful UK - FORGET IT ! Our equivalent of your F.A.A. is the C.A.A. ( civil aviation authority )
We nickname it the 'campaign against aviation'

They won't allow such things which is silly in my view - there is only one airworthy B17 here which is called Sally B - it's based at Duxford and obviously it costs a fortune to keep it flying.

http://sallyb.dcgservices.com/

They rely on donations for its upkeep and I just think of the revenue which it could generate if it were able to take members of the public for flights. I asked a member of the flight crew when I attended the Flying Legends airshow there last year why it wasn't possible.
He just shrugged and said " The good old C.A.A. I'm afraid "

I'll have to save for a holiday in the US - they appear rather more enlightened over there !

Hondo

One Too Many
No rides? What a pity, I feel for you and others in UK, there are probably only a little over 10 air worthy B17’s in the States, if you do make it over here, check the schedule below or the area your staying in, Fortune to keep them flying? Just about, at last count the “Nine-O-Nine” needs $3,000 (USF) an hour for maintenance, oil, gas and parts. $500 to $450 seems like alot for a 25-30 min ride but its well worth it, keep history alive.
Hope you get your chance and a real thrill.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A B-24 and B-17 were at Long Beach a few years ago and I got to climb through them. Not a fun place to be for 8-10 hour missions especially when Jerry was lobbing cannon shells at you.;)

henderson field

New in Town
Silver Ladies

Wonderful pictures guys!

I love to see the B-17 'au naturelle'. The original version ( without tail gun) has to be one the most elegant aircraft designs ever seen. Those sleek lines and polished aluminium ( sorry, aluminum :) ) finish are a delight.

Cheers,

HF

gpwpat

Familiar Face
I got a chance to display with these planes last year. This year I will too. The are comming into my home town airport. less than 1 mi from my house. The landing pattern is right over my home. they rattle the place.

DSC03116s.jpg

DSC03149s.jpg

DSC03118s.jpg

DSC03141s.jpg

DSC03117s.jpg

forgot to add that since they invited our group and a member of our group is a pilot of the b-25. our payment was no charge and the only place we could not go was the ball turret. I squeezed myself into the nose turret and it was tight. I would not wish to get out of there in a hurry all bundled up and with a parachute. Saddly though no free flights. I would love to go for a flight but the 400 bucks for 30 min of fun is not in the cards

SGB

One of the Regulars
Just got back from the airport to see the planes again. They have been flying over my house the past 2 days, and I always go see them. No new trinkits to buy this year (last year my wife had an embroidered WASP jacket made), but it is still exciting to see them up close.

SGB

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Today I visited the B-17 plane, Sentimental Journey, in Beatrice, Nebraska. I had to drive a few miles to get there, but it was completely worth it! Alas, I didn't have the $425 it took to take a ride, but at least I got to crawl inside and look around. I also got to see it take off and land!

I never realized how cramped it was in there - I don't know how those guys did it - especially the ball turret gunner and the tail gunner. Those were some TIGHT spaces!

B-17015-1.jpg

B-17011.jpg

B-17052.jpg

B-17044.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner