Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 jacket original or reproduction?

palko

New in Town
Hi im new to the forum.
I just purchased a B3 Jacket and was wondering if it is an original or a reproduction.
The label reads
TYPE B3
Drawing NO. 33 H 5595
A.C.ORDER NO. 42-5111-P
PROPERTY AIR FORCE U.S. ARMY
ROUGH WEAR CLOTHING CO.
MIDDLETOWN, PA
The size is a STOUT 44
Thanks in advance for the help.

Peacoat

Bartender
palko said:
Hi im new to the forum.
I just purchased a B3 Jacket and was wondering if it is an original or a reproduction.
The label reads
TYPE B3
Drawing NO. 33 H 5595
A.C.ORDER NO. 42-5111-P
PROPERTY AIR FORCE U.S. ARMY
ROUGH WEAR CLOTHING CO.
MIDDLETOWN, PA
The size is a STOUT 44
Thanks in advance for the help.

Can you post a picture of the tag and the jacket? What is a stout 44? If it is an original, you would be probably be able to tell it by looking at the jacket. It would be over 60 years old.

Fiver64

Practically Family
welcome to the forum!

Nice to meet you......... and if your jacket is original, it's a nice find, but as Peacoat said, it should be fairly obvious as sheepskin does not generally age as well as other types of hides, It should look 60+ years old, unless cared for amazingly well.

Corky

Practically Family
It might also be helpful...

It might also be helpful to have some idea where the B-3 jacket was purchased and approximately how much you paid for it.

palko

New in Town
pictures of B3 jacket

I bought the jacket at a thrift store in Truckee C.A. It shows a lot of wear around the cuffs and on the back.
IMG_5949.jpg
IMG_5935.jpg

palko

New in Town
Thanks for the quick responses. Any advice on caring for the jacket would be appreciated. I have read that Pecard makes good leather treatment products. The zipper is in good working order and looks original. All the buckles are intact but the two straps at the waist have been pulled off the jacket but are still in the buckles. I'm not interested in selling the jacket but I am curious as to the value of it. I paid 48 dollars for it and bought it because it fits me perfectly, not that I have much intention of wearing it often. I will post a few more pictures soon.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is definitely an original Rough Wear. It's their second contract for B-3s, issued in the 1942 fiscal year. I have owned a couple duo tone Rws from the same contract and have seen many others but never seen one with Stout on the label. Great find BTW.

Fiver64

Practically Family
my two cents worth

If it were me, being that it is such an unusual label (and therefore more collectable), I wouldn't wear it or alter it in any way. I'd either keep it as a collector's item or sell it. Should bring a good price and could easily finance a good repro that I wouldn't care about possibly tearing or damaging. You still have to remember that it's 60+ year-old leather and of historical significance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara