Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baby Names? Vintage?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Not so much Vintage - but my mum liked Hayley after she heard of "Hayley Mills" when she was younger.

So Hayley I became! My middle name Anne....well, that's traceable right back to the Tudor period - very vintage indeed!

tuppence

Practically Family
RitaHayworth said:
Not so much Vintage - but my mum liked Hayley after she heard of "Hayley Mills" when she was younger.

So Hayley I became! My middle name Anne....well, that's traceable right back to the Tudor period - very vintage indeed!

I loved watching old Haley Mills movies.
Your name also became popular after Hayleys comet came over late 80's?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
tuppence said:
I loved watching old Haley Mills movies.
Your name also became popular after Hayleys comet came over late 80's?

As much as I was called "Hayleys Comet" in school, my name is pronounced as you see it....not as Halley's Comet!

dickandchristin

New in Town
Vintage names are beautiful!

Christine is my name. I love that it has Christ in it. I named my daughter after her grandmother Alice. I also love my grandmother's name Ruth. I am an old schoolteacher and know that names DO MATTER. Please name your child an easy name. Kids can tease mercilessly if the name is too different.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Problem is, whatever you call your child, other children will find a way to twist it!

Although I agree there are way too many 'wacky' names out there these days, and I just feel sorry for the children lumbered with them.

AudreyH

Familiar Face
RitaHayworth said:

My mom Named me Hailey. Same as yours, but different spelling. How neat. She named me after the comet though. lol Mainly, because she got pregnate with me when the comet was passing, and I was a suprise so she thought Hailey would be a special name. :)

AudreyH

Familiar Face
By the way I forgot to mention I would want to name my children Audrey (after Audrey Hepburn), or Arianne. :)

What I would name the boy? I'm not quite sure, maybe Mike. :)

Kassia

One of the Regulars
My grandmother (born 1903) was named Hazel..
My mother (b1931) is named Gertrude.. Middle name Hazel..
Not too original so guess what my 2 middle names are?
You guessed it.. Kathleen Gertrude Hazel A*******.
I hated it when i was a kid and teenager but now it's not so bad.. I guess a name sort of grows on you as you get older...
And for many years i went by Kathy.. But as i get older i seem to prefer the name Kathleen... Too many Kathy's out there... Even my sil is named Kathy!!!
If i were to have kids thier names would probably be Tiana (rhymes with Diana) for a girl or Matthew for a boy ...
As for middle names any boy of mine would not have my dh's or his fathers middle name... Nor for a girl would i add the Gertrude in there either..
Hmmm Tiana Rose sounds nice... Rosalia was my dad's mothers name..
Matthew is my dad's middle name...
Having done the geneology on all sides of my family i ran into some rather "different" names on the Polish and Ukranian sids.. Some good and some sort of "weird" if you live in the west nowadays..
Appolonia, one of my grandmothers was named after St Apolonia, partron saint of dentists... She is often depicted holding a forcep.. She was tortured and was a martyr of the Eastern Church... Tortured by, you guessed it, having all her teeth pulled out!! Owwww.....
Tekla is another family name.. Another saint from the Eastern Church..

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
AudreyH said:
My mom Named me Hailey. Same as yours, but different spelling. How neat. She named me after the comet though. lol Mainly, because she got pregnate with me when the comet was passing, and I was a suprise so she thought Hailey would be a special name. :)

Thats a nice story!

I'd love to call my children (if I ever have any!) something old. I love the name Ava and Grace

MsChantillyLace

New in Town
Names in my family's past include: Mae, Shirly, Paul, Emma, Lila, Warner, Rose, Audrey, Charles, Thomas, Allan, Lloyd, Martha, Marie, Stephanie, Loraine, Maria Antoinetta, Robert, and Henry. I also have a great great grandfather known as Grandpa Shorty. I'll have to tack down names here...

Now, my aunts and uncles have named their children: Star, Timber, Poppy, Shy, Eurica, Anwar, Lacey, Alessandro... among others.

Then, my sister and brother (and some of my cousins) have named their children the following: Chesney (after Kenny Chesney-- we had to ask), Cambree, Colin, Blake, and Jager.

My children will have more old-school names, though I do prefer the less common names.

Edward

Bartender
I just chanced across this thread again, and it occurs to me that in any given era there are three types of name that properly belong:

1] The adults of the era - the people whose generation it truly is. What names did they have? This is probably the biggest influence on how we think of names nowdays. What instantly seem "40s" names to me, for example, were probably picked out between 20 and even 50 years earlier when those adults (the movers and shakers, the musicians, actors, politicans and authors of the day) were born.

2] The babies born in that era. A 1940s name proper, I think, would be names given to people in that era - ie those born then. I suppose though that there could be some commonality with many in group 1], if then as now people named their children after celebrities often. (see e.g. John Winston Lennon, as was his given name).

3] The names people give their pets. This is often overlooked, but I have long believed that the names people give their pets say a lot about them.... and much of the time these are the names that they would really have preferred to give hteir kids but didn't dare! lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Edward said:
I just chanced across this thread again, and it occurs to me that in any given era there are three types of name that properly belong:

1] The adults of the era - the people whose generation it truly is. What names did they have? This is probably the biggest influence on how we think of names nowdays. What instantly seem "40s" names to me, for example, were probably picked out between 20 and even 50 years earlier when those adults (the movers and shakers, the musicians, actors, politicans and authors of the day) were born.

2] The babies born in that era. A 1940s name proper, I think, would be names given to people in that era - ie those born then. I suppose though that there could be some commonality with many in group 1], if then as now people named their children after celebrities often. (see e.g. John Winston Lennon, as was his given name).

3] The names people give their pets. This is often overlooked, but I have long believed that the names people give their pets say a lot about them.... and much of the time these are the names that they would really have preferred to give hteir kids but didn't dare! lol

I've thought of 1] too so that's why I listed my late grandparents first names because they were born in the 1910s. My boys names come in and out of fashion here.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I
just chanced across this thread again, and it occurs to me that in any given era there are three types of name that properly belong:

Hmmmm a good observation but i have only pets so what does that say about me...
They are Joey, grey cockatiel.. Named by my dh in 1983.. Yes that's right i have a 25 yo parrot.. Dh picked said name because he was not sure of the bird was male or female.. Joey works for both...
Then there is Tweeky, male budgie.. Named after the ambiquad robot on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.. Only spelled differently.. Twiki was the little robot that always made funny noises and said, HIya Buck..
Martin, parrotlet.. Came named...
Jazz, budgie.. Came named as Jasmine but changed later when the vet confirmed that "she" was a he in fact...

I know one lady named Jaz, btw, but she is from India..

So that adds and entirely different set of names to the mix...

Edward said:
3] The names people give their pets. This is often overlooked, but I have long believed that the names people give their pets say a lot about them.... and much of the time these are the names that they would really have preferred to give their kids but didn't dare! lol

Gee, I have a dog named Samantha and a cat named TC (Top Cat after the cartoon not Thomas Calvan from Magnum!:p ). I doubt I would give my children either name---especially TC. Haven't had a chance to name a girl though as I have two sons named after their grandfather and great grandfathers---Daniel Paul and John Frank.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda