Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I underwent a series of peels (performed with extractions) before I tried cold cream. My skin troubles were turning cystic, and the peels reduced the blemishes I was getting and did make a noticeable difference (they are not much cheaper than microdermabrasion, though). Cold cream definitely helped to eliminate the majority of the acne I was getting and I very rarely get deep, inflamed pimples anymore (unless I try a new makeup that my skin reacts to.)

I've had sucess with a modified version of the oil cleansing method. It may seem a bit holistic at first, but is worth a shot if the alcohol-based acne treatments aren't working.

I believe this is why cold cream has similar results, as it is oil-based. So many people shy away from oil in products because we have been told all oil is bad, but I don't think this is always the case.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Effective, Economical Acne Treatment

I use Neutrogena anti-wrinkle anti-blemish cream; it really does seem to help.

Someone also mentioned Jason cleanser. I use the facial cleanser with tea tree oil. It washes away makeup without drying out my skin.

For pimples, I dab on a bit of clay mask at night (you can also use plain, non-gel toothpaste). It helps dry them out. To help them heal, I put on a dab of Neosporin.

If you're a popper, it's better to use a tool that looks like a bar with metal loops on the end. It does less damage than using your fingernails.

But one of the most important things for me is diet. I know that some dermatologists say now that diet doesn't matter, but that's not necessarily true. If you're sensitive to gluten, a protein in wheat and oats, it damages your intestines and prevents you from absorbing vitamins and minerals. After I was on a low-gluten diet for about a month, my skin cleared up quite a bit. The skin on my arms and legs also felt smoother, and my hair felt cleaner. When I go off of the diet, my face breaks out. As insurance, I take skin vitamins and zinc tablets.

magneto

Practically Family
Paisley said:
But one of the most important things for me is diet. I know that some dermatologists say now that diet doesn't matter, but that's not necessarily true. If you're sensitive to gluten, a protein in wheat and oats, it damages your intestines and prevents you from absorbing vitamins and minerals. After I was on a low-gluten diet for about a month, my skin cleared up quite a bit. The skin on my arms and legs also felt smoother, and my hair felt cleaner. When I go off of the diet, my face breaks out. As insurance, I take skin vitamins and zinc tablets.

Agreed, diet is very important and one can develop food sensitivities even as an adult than can manifest as skin/hair troubles. For vitamins, some studies have shown than extra Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) helps fight acne and keeps skin healthy generally. I have been taking B5 suppliments for a few months and I have noticed my skin is much less oily and pimple-free.

decodoll

Practically Family
On the other side of the fence, I had a couple of dry spots that cleared up as soon as I started using Pond's cold cream. :) I had tried all sorts of fancy lotions, including the sample of Creme de la Mer that gave me a red blotch between the eyes! :eek:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diet does play a big role in the condition of ones skin. Parts of everything you eat, whether they be vitamins, oil, spices, they all have elements that seep through your skin and play a role in the conditon of it.
I have found a moisterizer that I really like, if your skin is on the dry side. Pure Simplicity Milk Thistle face moisterizer by Bath and Body Works. It's smooth as silk, not too thick, and smells very fresh has a hint of lemon.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
On the other side of the fence, I had a couple of dry spots that cleared up as soon as I started using Pond's cold cream. :) I had tried all sorts of fancy lotions, including the sample of Creme de la Mer that gave me a red blotch between the eyes! :eek:

My best friend started using some expensive Aveda skin products. She thought they didn't feel quite right, but second-guessed herself and kept using them. Her face broke out.

I think some of the expensive skin products are greatly marked up, yet are no better than some of the lower-end products.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
magneto said:
For vitamins, some studies have shown than extra Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) helps fight acne and keeps skin healthy generally. I have been taking B5 suppliments for a few months and I have noticed my skin is much less oily and pimple-free.

I just read in today's Wall Street Journal that eating some fat with your meal significantly helps you absorb vitamins. The example they used was an experiment involving salad--one with avacado and the other without. They also mentioned eating good fat (like avacados and olive oil, not trans-fat) in moderation.

This makes me feel better about using chicken stock to make rice pilaf.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Paisley, I've heard the same thing...especially having olive oil in your diet. I"ve also found when my diet leans more on fruits and veggies, my skin really thanks me for it. Food allergies have been a real pain to figure out lately..it seems the older I get, the more I seem to be sensitive or allergic to :( like cheese, I could eat all the cheese I wanted but if I drank just a little bit of milk, I would get horribly nauseated and break out, now I think it's all milk products I'm going to have to start avoiding!
With face creams I find I have to switch what I'm using depending on what time of year it is. During the summer, I need something a little bit on the stronger side while winter, something mild.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Pond's Cold Cream

Jitterbug thanks for recomending cold ceam to me i went out and bought some as well as witch hazel wow what a difference my face feels great and it is very soothing especially for sensitive irritated skin it even evened out my skin tone a bit thanks again!!!!:p

Juniper

New in Town
I swear by warm water. I have my dad's oily t-zone with ginormous pores and I've had constant mild-to-moderate outbreaks since I was about 13. I would never, ever believe that over-cleaning was a problem, but I was convinced to try cleaning my face with nothing but warm water. It works. I haven't used soap (or any kind of cleanser) on any part of me for about 6 months--just warm water and a wash cloth. It kind of weirds my family out, but I have the best skin I've ever had (and I don't smell or anything), so don't knock it until you try it.

As for the pores, since no one else can see them I've just learned not to look too closely in the mirror. When I want my skin to look soft-focus perfect, I use Pure Luxe's eraser. I love mineral makeup!

http://www.pureluxecosmetics.com/

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My ex-boyfriend's sister had terrible skin problems, and her dermatologist put her on the "water only" cleansing routine. I thought that was weird, but it really worked for her!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I was wondering Jitterbug if you use ponds cold cream before doing your makeup or is this just for your makeup removal as well as do you use it to cleans your face at night and morning?I am just amazed at my esolts so far

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Here are some products you may consider trying that have been highly recommended: Revlon Color stay make-up ; the only negative thing I've heard about this product is that if you have any lines/wrinkles, this product seems to not be so flattering but does have great coverage. For having wrinkles and fine lines try Almay line smoothing make-up....both I have been told do not make you break out.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Thanks gals, with all this talk about Pond's cold cream I decided I had to get some. My grandma used to use it and I always thought why would someone put that greasy stuff on their face? I've been using it a week now and I just love it. It smells good and my skin feels and looks better than it ever has. It cost more than I thought it would, but it sure beats the fancy products that cost $15 and up.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Revlon Color stay make-up

This stuff broke me out something fierce :(

was wondering Jitterbug if you use ponds cold cream before doing your makeup or is this just for your makeup removal as well as do you use it to cleans your face at night and morning?I am just amazed at my esolts so far

I use it twice a day, and always remove with a warm, damp washcloth. It always feels so soothing and is great for removing eye makeup :)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Your spot zapping secrets!

Hi Girlies

I am new here, so hello to you all!

I am just after some tips on spot zapping. What's a girl to do when she is visited by the pimple monster?

Elaina

One Too Many
I've put Crest on them in a pinch.

I used to have a perfect complexion, got pregnant, got cystic acne...still fight it.

Witch Hazel in it's pure form is good to dry them up and get them gone. Other wise, depending on your problem, I keep mine totally under control with Pro Active.

Elaina

Foofoogal

Banned
Welcome.
Silly me. I was thinking spots off of clothing. I use oxyclean for that. :)

As far as pimples I never had them much due to heredity but I think the more you put on your face the worse they get. Mild soap and water I have always used and mostly I clean my face with hot washcloth with just water at night.
My sister had tons of bumps and she was always trying new products. I kept telling her to leave them all alone.
Like the douches we discussed in an earlier thread I think the body has self cleaning mechanisms to a degree.
When I was younger and face was oilier I actually would clean my t-zone every so often with alchohol. (don't gasp) Just ever so often. About one time a week. Sandy

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I prefer an ounce of prevention, or rather prescription pimple gel (antibiotic). Seems to help pimples heal faster too.

If you are visited by a truly monster pimple, and have lots of cash, you can visit the dermatologist and get an injection. The pimple is deflated instantly.

I'd save that treatment for goose eggs before the wedding type situations though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails