Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
~landgirl~ said:
I did look at the Ponds in Boots, it was Cold Cream Cleanser and the ingredients were:

Paraffinum Liquidum, Aqua, Ozokerite, Ceba Alba, Sodium Borate, Ceresin, Behenic Acid, Montan Acid Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteth 20, Parfum, Carbomer.

The Cool Classic, which I believe to have pretty much the original ingredients are:

MINERAL OIL, WATER, BEESWAX, CERESIN, SODIUM BORATE, FRAGRANCE, CARBOMER

Whereas the first ingredient in the Boots traditional is Paraffinum Liquidum, so would imagine it to be the same as the Ponds you get over here.

However, am I being particularly thick and Paraffinum Liquidum is infact another word for mineral oil? LOL

Yup, got it in one! Mineral oil and paraffin liquidum are one and the same. We always give things funny names over here - hence "aqua" for water and "parfum" for fragrance! Silly really. And most of the other funny named things are also mineral oils and waxes so they're probably grouped under the "mineral oil" tag in the american version. "Ceba Alba" appears to be an onion extract, whcih was mentioned in another thread as an ingredient in scar treatments so that *ould* be why cold cream dries out spots! Well that was my thinking. I'm pretty sure it must be the same, or only nominally different. I think I shall try Ponds over here first and see what it's like!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Well there you go then! I have no idea why the Ponds Cool Classic works better than Boots traditional!

There is a site somewhere (can't find the link now) but it has all the different Ponds cold creams on it. If anyone has the link could they post?

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Apple Cider Vinegar for Zits

Hello Ladies! I was recently reading either Cosmo or Glamour magazine and there was an article featuring Mandy Moore. She said her zit zapping secret is to dab some apple cider vinegar on them. I went out and bought some last night, and it really works! It stung a little, but the results were so worth it. I had a huge cystic cit on my chin, and today it's half the size that it was. Normally it would have taken close to a week for it do go down this much. I suggest giving it a try!

Sunny

One Too Many
It's quite effective for sinus/upper respiratory infections and sore throats, particularly those with swollen lymph nodes. If you can stand a couple swallows every hour. :eek:

jugband1

New in Town
I'll have to give that a try for the blemishes...I will try almost anything once to clear my skin up...:rolleyes: At 28, you'd think I would outgrow this by now.

kate

Adelle Rose

New in Town
Humm. Although I'm 15, I don't really get spots, :p, but my mum has always used Germolene. It's meant for cuts and grazes and has paraffin in it, it's really soothing and heals up the spots quickly without scarring. Smells a bit, though. :eek:

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Just a word of caution- last night I used the ACV all over my face instead of just a spot treatment. Be careful when doing this, my face got all flushed and warm feeling, but not in a harmfull way. The fumes can also irritate your eyes, so stay clear of them. My skin did feel much smoother after I did it though!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
no worries on the flush-i-ness, that pretty much means it's doing its job as it is an antiseptic and is perfectly safe for a purifying toner for your skin. My only problem with it is when I work out (I work out pretty strenuously, though, so it might just be me) is that it comes back through my pores and I smell like vinegar! But sometimes it's just worth it because it does a lovely job of balancing your skin's pH. Again, amazing stuff. And I believe that it kills strep and will DEFINITELY take away sore throat symptoms faster than anything out there.

Okay, health nut is closing her mouth now. :) For a while....:p

Miss Match

New in Town
Apple cider vinegar is also great for your hair. A quick rinse with it every few shampoos washes out product build up and gives a lovely shine. It even gets rid of dandruff.

There's very little that this stuff DOESN'T do.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jugband1 said:
I'll have to give that a try for the blemishes...I will try almost anything once to clear my skin up...:rolleyes: At 28, you'd think I would outgrow this by now.

kate
I'm finding there is hope at the end of the tunnel! I'm going to be turning 30 soon and my face is just now starting to turn that corner to where it seems to finally want to behave:rolleyes: ...believe me, I know what a major pain in the you-know-what it can be to have to deal with a face of a teenager! Hopefully your's starts behaving sooner than mine did!

jugband1

New in Town
I hope so too-- I isn't bad all the time, but seems very "hormonal"--especially since my son was born (he's 21/2 so this has been a long stretch) But I have hope that eventually things will settle down again. I seem to go through a vicious cycle of products. I use drying stuff and then it gets too dry/flaky, and I have to moisturize heavily, and that makes the breakouts worse....so on and so forth. I am going to give the ACV a try though...I have been trying burts bees blemish stick with limited success.

k

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Yes, pregnancy can do bad things!
Another tip, is to ALWAYS wash off your make-up at night! Leaving it on will be a sure fire way of bringing those pimples.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I was just wondering how often you use this, I've tried it a couple of times and it's quite nice once I get my eyes to stop watering cause of the fumes!lol

I also learned another little "caveat" I must've scratched my skin a bit or something, cause it stung like the devil in one spot!:eek: don't put it on broken skin!!!!!!lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes sensitive skin needs a little 'breaking' in time. An idea might be to maybe water down the vinegar and gradually decrease the amount of water per week until the skin builds a tolerance to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails