Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
Sometimes sensitive skin needs a little 'breaking' in time. An idea might be to maybe water down the vinegar and gradually decrease the amount of water per week until the skin builds a tolerance to it.

:eusa_clap

I was just about to say this....and in fact you don't ever necessarily need to use the vinagar full strength.....

You can also soak herbs in it for a few weeks and make herbal toners this way.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I hate the waterfall eyes! especially the burning feeling! This always happens whenever I put on Mary Kay foundation...weird huh? I wonder why? It seems there shouldn't be anything strong in it...but whenever I get it around my eyes, instant burn and watering :(

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I get that with a product if I'm allergic to an ingredient in it, (I was careful to test the ACV out) I react that way to Max Factor mascaras and Nivea face products[huh]

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I feel for you.

I have hormonal acne, 1 x per month, in exactly the same spots. It's maddening. I've used Proactiv and the like, which worked well for about a year. Then my skin adapted to it and it actually started making my skin much worse.

I echo Mysterygal here with the 'lots of water.' Also, green tea is *wonderful* for your skin because of the Anti Oxidants; it has made a marked difference for me. There is a great book that I can't locate right now entirely about a healthy skin regimen without internal medication.... next time I'm at Powell's I'll write down the name for you. Basically what the book says regarding breakouts is if you are using an acne product all the time, your skin will eventually adapt to it and it will become ineffective, which was my experience.

Now I wash my face with Olay Gentle Skin Wash, except during a breakout when I use Exuvium, which is medicated. I also take Vitamin A, E, and Zinc religiously. I'd say this new regimen is about 80% effective. I have a feeling if I quit caffeine and drank even more water and tea, I'd see an even greater effect.

Also, I avoid soy like the plague since it can be extremely destructive to many women's hormone levels. If I eat even a little soy, in a month it evidences itself on my face.

There is a skin cleansing method which is *all the rage* among holistic practitioners which is called the Oil Cleansing Method or OCM. It is very, very effective for many, but it's not for everyone. It sounds illogical, but you used Castor Oil to clean and Olive Oil to mosturize. The trick is finding the right balance of each for your skin. I could never get the right balance and well, it's messy. But many swear by it and it's great for those with sensitive skin.

Here's some info: http://eightofspades.vox.com/library/post/ocm-oil-cleansing-method.html

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I didn't read the article (will get to it in a second here :)) but it sounds along the lines of why Pond's has worked for me. Mineral oil helped me stop breaking out. [huh] I stopped questioning it and just celebrate my nice skin instead :)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
GoldLeaf said:
I didn't read the article (will get to it in a second here :)) but it sounds along the lines of why Pond's has worked for me. Mineral oil helped me stop breaking out. [huh] I stopped questioning it and just celebrate my nice skin instead :)

Yes, I believe the same idea!

Also, the oil is excellent for aging since people with highly oily skin tend to get far less wrinkles as they age.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Best Beauty Buys

Skin/Acne
Facial Cleanser
Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser
This gentle wash doesn't dry or irritate skin. The salicylic acid treats acne, while anti-inflamatory soy extracts help soothe and brighten skin.
($7 @ drugstores)

Facial Moisturizer (With spf 15)
Purpose dual treatment moisture lotion
Oil and paraben-free, this lightweight lotion gives broad-sprectrum sun protection and works well under makeup.
($9@drugstores)

Acne Prevention Treatment System
Neutrogena Advance Solutions Complete Acne Therapy System
the trifecta of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and glycolic acid.
($30@drugstores)

St. Ives Apricot Fash Wash Blemish and Blackhead Control
Salicylic acid and exfoliating microbeads prevent clogged pores without drying out skin.
($4@drugstores)

Clean and Clear Cooling daily pore toner
Both the glycolic and salicylic acid exfoliate the skin and reduce oil that clog pores. This toner has a pleasant smell and quick-drying properties.
($4@drugstores)

Olay Daily Facials Clarity Scrub salicylic acid acne treatment
Made with calming green tea and aloe vera, this salicylic acid exfoliator won't tear skin, thanks to the smoothness of the crystals.
($7@drugstores)

Clean and Clear Advantage Invisible Acne patch
This clear gel allows you to apply makeup over a breakout while salicylic acid works to shrink it all day.
($10@drugstores)

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-wrinkle Anti-blemish Clear Skin Cream
The perfect combination for anyone over 30 with acne and fine lines.
($13@ulta.com)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Ran out of Pond's nearly a week ago (never should have started my roommate on the Pond's bandwagon, now its all gone), and my face is suffering as a result....

...must.... get... to ... store!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
To reduce oil you can use pure grapeseed oil as a moisturizer. I started using it and I'm no where near as glossy as I was. I don't break out much, except for my chin, and I've just started using apple cider vinegar as a toner-type thing. I use it (undiluted--yes---it stings and makes my eyes tear) and then I follow it with the grapeseed oil, so I smell very much like a salad. ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
To reduce oil you can use pure grapeseed oil as a moisturizer. I started using it and I'm no where near as glossy as I was. I don't break out much, except for my chin, and I've just started using apple cider vinegar as a toner-type thing. I use it (undiluted--yes---it stings and makes my eyes tear) and then I follow it with the grapeseed oil, so I smell very much like a salad. ;)

Sounds like it works by containg some sort of anti-androgen. I was on a pill for some time, a birth-control pill containing an anti-androgen, which did the same thing and it stabilized by skin as well. After using it for about a year I switched to another pill, one that was very low in hormone, and my skin is still good, so it seems like the effect is maintained after you stop. Well, not the birth control part, but the skin-part :p

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Arnica!

I have big breakouts when I do, so this helps a lot to reduce the inflammation and swelling etc.
Either the homeopathic gel or the homeopathic pills, they both work great.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
***Miracle acne cure alert***

Spironolactone - my derm prescribed it about three weeks ago and my skin has never been so clear. No side effects either. It's used for all kinds of things other than acne [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spironolactone] but it is working wonders for me.

I take that because of my polycystic ovarian syndrome, for the anti-androgen properties. My skin wasn't too bad before, but I really don't break out at all since I started taking spiro. I didn't know it was used for acne treatment. There's something else it's used for to...I think a diuretic? My doctor told me that's what it was originally for, but then they dicovered the anti-androgen properties were useful.

Nashoba

One Too Many
jenny_dreadful said:
I take that because of my polycystic ovarian syndrome, for the anti-androgen properties. My skin wasn't too bad before, but I really don't break out at all since I started taking spiro. I didn't know it was used for acne treatment. There's something else it's used for to...I think a diuretic? My doctor told me that's what it was originally for, but then they dicovered the anti-androgen properties were useful.

ahhhh, I have PCOS too but I can't go on the spiro right now. I wish I could, the anti-androgen properties would be nice but I've been trying to get pregnant for the last 4 years and you can't take spiro when you're trying to get knocked up. So I opted for the clomid and the crazies that go with infertility treatments.....sigh

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Nashoba said:
ahhhh, I have PCOS too but I can't go on the spiro right now. I wish I could, the anti-androgen properties would be nice but I've been trying to get pregnant for the last 4 years and you can't take spiro when you're trying to get knocked up. So I opted for the clomid and the crazies that go with infertility treatments.....sigh

I've heard that acupuncture can help a lot, so maybe you could look into that.

Nashoba

One Too Many
jenny_dreadful said:
I've heard that acupuncture can help a lot, so maybe you could look into that.

I think the military healthcare system would laugh if I tried to file a claim for accupuncture for infertility. I don't think that's one of the covered treatments lol. Thanks for the suggestion though, worth looking into. It would also help if my husband were home for a long enough period of time for the drugs to really work.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I don't know if it's the same as the Spiro-thing, but I have been using the birh control pill "Diane" for some time and my skin is really good now. It was s
developed as a skin medicine, and then they discovered that it also works as a birth control pill! So it is only prescribed ti women who does need both birth control and skin medication.

As I said, it really works wonders. But be warned: Before it clears up your skin,your skin will be worse for a month or two. I think it was worth it, but it's good to know before you start!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner