Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to zits

mugsy

New in Town
Thank you so much, MissMissy and Miss Bella Hell! I'll be doing plenty of reading here myself...

I have sensitive skin, oily skin, bad nerves, and huge pores :p Trying the almost all natural route to cleanse (after all, I am getting older and I really want to protect my skin) which seems to be working all right. Considering that fact that I've had bad skin since I was about 10 (!), and I've joked with my dermatologist that short of a major operation (I'll be a man! lol ), there's really not much else I can do. Honey is a great purifier/moisturiser/cleaner, but a little sticky (as has been mentioned before), and milk (OK, powdered milk mixed with water) is an interesting cleanser/toner - but I only use these during my weekly facials (corn meal is my scrub as it's round, compared with the jagged chunks that other stuff comes in). Daily stuff used is from Lush, it's a coal tar soap - great stuff, worth the price for me.

Besides, at my age, I no longer "do" the pill! lol

Thanks for all of you're advise and postings!! :eusa_clap

Inky

One Too Many
I have been very fortunate to not suffer from acne for most of my life, aside from the one that shows up hormonally once a month. This time it was a doozy and I have an event this weekend, so off to the drugstore the other day and I found Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment.

I was surprise how well it worked and overnight my pimple was nearly gone. It's much smaller and the redness it totally gone. By Saturday night I hope it's just a memory ;) So far there is no dryness or peeling (I have used it 2x a day for 2 days) or any other irritation.

There were other several other brands with the same formulation (2% salisylic acid) and the pricing ranged from about $7 to $10.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another rave review!

Madison Paige said:
Ladies,

I had to share this with you, as I am completely shocked by what I've found. i had horrible, extremely painful cystic acne and tried everything short of Accutane to clear it up. Even when I tried Proactiv it work on everything, except the really bad deep zits.

Finally after about 8 months of suffering with this situation, I decided to give it one last shot and go the all natural route, thinking maybe all these chemicals on my face were possibly making it worse. I picked up Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick from the grocery store for $8. Dear lord, ladies...this stuff is magical. I've used it for a week and a half and my skin is near healed. No more little white heads, no more black heads, and most importantly no more cystic acne! It has a strong fennel (black licorice) scent to it, and it does sting quite a bit, but both the smell and the stinging only last for a few minutes.

Seriously, girls (and boys if you're reading this), go out to your local drugstore, super market, or purchase it straight from their site http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=-35&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1. You really really won't regret it. And again...its only $8! That's about an eighth as expensive as freaking Proactiv and it has MUCH better results!
It is an amazing little thing!

Mostly denatured alcohol and botanical oils, and it WORKS really, really well.

I also break out that nasty cystic way, and this stuff nipped it in the bud pretty much. Whatever was in there starting the problem in the first place has to work its way out, but at least I didn't get all infected and end up with a zit a half inch across, as usual. Much more a manageable breakout.

And for the blackheaded amongst you, I have discovered that washing your face with almond meal and water, will completely take them out. They come back of course (from the inside), but this will be a quick and easy way to make them gone. Leaves your face a tad dry, but if you're oily that's a good thing. You can buy almond meal in thebaking aisle in any health food store.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
It is an amazing little thing!

Mostly denatured alcohol and botanical oils, and it WORKS really, really well.

I also break out that nasty cystic way, and this stuff nipped it in the bud pretty much. Whatever was in there starting the problem in the first place has to work its way out, but at least I didn't get all infected and end up with a zit a half inch across, as usual. Much more a manageable breakout.

And for the blackheaded amongst you, I have discovered that washing your face with almond meal and water, will completely take them out. They come back of course (from the inside), but this will be a quick and easy way to make them gone. Leaves your face a tad dry, but if you're oily that's a good thing. You can buy almond meal in thebaking aisle in any health food store.

I've seen this at the store, but never tried it. Thanks for the recommendation.

My current regime has reduced my breakouts to maybe 2-3 a week rather than 7-8. I miss having insurance since retin-a and benzaclin kept me completely clear :(

Now I'm using the C&C 10 benzoyl peroxide cream in the day with a SPF moisturizer, Neutrogena Visibly Firm. At night I use the C&C Advantage Skin Clearing Lotion (something like that) or Latin Girl Anti-Aging, Anti-Acne Cream (a glycolic based cream). For spot treating, its Murad or the Mint Julep Mask. That Mint Julep mask is definitely my fav since it's so cheap and may not get rid of my pimples, but makes them a lot smaller and they go away quickly.

Mary

Practically Family
This sounds wonderful Madison Paige! I don't have many zits nowadays thanks to the cold cream but I do get white heads like you and I don't think I've had them before. What are they?? And how should I treat them if I can't get hold of that precious Burt's bee?

Madison Paige said:
Ladies,

I had to share this with you, as I am completely shocked by what I've found. i had horrible, extremely painful cystic acne and tried everything short of Accutane to clear it up. Even when I tried Proactiv it work on everything, except the really bad deep zits.

Finally after about 8 months of suffering with this situation, I decided to give it one last shot and go the all natural route, thinking maybe all these chemicals on my face were possibly making it worse. I picked up Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick from the grocery store for $8. Dear lord, ladies...this stuff is magical. I've used it for a week and a half and my skin is near healed. No more little white heads, no more black heads, and most importantly no more cystic acne! It has a strong fennel (black licorice) scent to it, and it does sting quite a bit, but both the smell and the stinging only last for a few minutes.

Seriously, girls (and boys if you're reading this), go out to your local drugstore, super market, or purchase it straight from their site http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=-35&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1. You really really won't regret it. And again...its only $8! That's about an eighth as expensive as freaking Proactiv and it has MUCH better results!

Dani California

Familiar Face
I've been using the Burts Bees Blemish Stick as well and love it! I like that it is all essential oils that are good for your skin. Another good one is the blemish stick by Ole Henriksen (can be bought at sephora)..it has rose hip oil and kaolin clay in it. The downside is that it doesn't have tons of natural ingredients like Burts Bees does.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I used to break out quite often.. had to be really careful with the things that were going on my face...
Since u ladies started the Cold cream thread.. I figured.. I needed to keep things simple and stop using all kinds of harsh chemicals on my face.

To be honest.. I think it did the trick. I have not had a break out in.. 2 months mabey since I have swtiched to my new skinftuff...

I now use Ponds Cold cream at night.. I wash that off with warm water and dont need any moisturiser.
In the morning I use the Nutrogena Skin clearing bar (2 dollars.. thats the best part) and then us Dickens Witchazel on the areas I am prone for acne and oily areas:)
Then a Very light moisturizer.. I have realised I dont need much moisturizer since I have started using the cold cream. Its almost as if the moisture has retained in my skin.

On the evenings I do use a dab of spot cream in some areas.. and thats really it.

I went out an bought the mint julup mask.. LOVE IT!
I do that about 2 times a week and exfoliate in the shower...
All this has made my skin SUPER clear!

I think I have finally found my solution.. wooohooo!

Ashes Of Roses

New in Town
While I haven't found the ultimate miracle product, I have had good luck with my current arsenal of products.

I've started using Pond's Cold Cream and it's going well for me--my skin looks younger to me almost.

I also use Paula's Choice 2% AHA Liquid and her products are so wonderful! Very nice stuff, even though it's a little expensive and crap packaging IMHO, it works great with my skin. It's much more smooth and less breakouts (like those horrible cystic ones).

Lastly, Retin-A in the morning. I want to skip this step and see how I do without it. I also take a daily vitamin/mineral, and when I first started doing that when I was 18, there was a dramatic difference in my skin.

Little odds and ends--I always wear my hair up at night, and change my pillowcases very frequently. I never sit in the sun and use a light moisturizer (Purpose with SPF 15) night and day.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Today I was getting my brows waxed, and the woman who does it has done my waxing for three years, so we are very comfortable with each other. She looked at my skin and asked me if I was using "acid" on it (she's Russian so she can put things strangely sometimes). I said yes, I'd been using Proactiv and my skin has been very clear because of it.

Then came the typical aesthetician response. "You shouldn't use that because it makes your skin clear but not healthy. You should come in for facials every month. I give myself a facial every two weeks."

I had another aesthetician in Boston tell me, when I was using Retin A or something and my skin was clear, that I shouldn't use it, and I should change what I eat and get more facials.

This makes me so annoyed. As if 1) at 28 years old, I haven't struggled with acne my whole life, tried everything twice, and now that I find something that works I should give it up because it's not making my skin "healthy" and 2) I have that kind of money to get facials all the time!

:mad: I'll choose clear skin any day TYVM!

/rant

Apple Annie

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Today I was getting my brows waxed, and the woman who does it has done my waxing for three years, so we are very comfortable with each other. She looked at my skin and asked me if I was using "acid" on it (she's Russian so she can put things strangely sometimes). I said yes, I'd been using Proactiv and my skin has been very clear because of it.

Then came the typical aesthetician response. "You shouldn't use that because it makes your skin clear but not healthy. You should come in for facials every month. I give myself a facial every two weeks."

I had another aesthetician in Boston tell me, when I was using Retin A or something and my skin was clear, that I shouldn't use it, and I should change what I eat and get more facials.

This makes me so annoyed. As if 1) at 28 years old, I haven't struggled with acne my whole life, tried everything twice, and now that I find something that works I should give it up because it's not making my skin "healthy" and 2) I have that kind of money to get facials all the time!

/rant

I'd stick with the Proactiv if I was you - I tried the "natural" route for years, listening to these people (the stuff I slopped onto my face, you wouldn't believe!) Finaly I gave in and went to the doctors and got some Differin and Antibiotics. Well waddya know - doctors actually know what they're talking about!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

/rant

My skin has improved so much since I started getting facials around two years ago - I try to get one every two to three months - not only does it clear out blackheads but you have a fabulous moisturised glow for days to come!

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I started using Pond's Cold Cream a couple weeks back and my skin is now sooo much smoother! I haven't had a blemish in weeks and even though it's a bit too greasy for my already oily skin, it gives me that dewy look in the morning, which I like. I use the cream to take off my make-up at night, then my Cetaphil facewash followed by some witch hazel. It's also a great moisturizer. :D

I agree with Ashes of Roses and LelaViavonie that the cold cream has made my skin look younger, too!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss Golightly said:
My skin has improved so much since I started getting facials around two years ago - I try to get one every two to three months - not only does it clear out blackheads but you have a fabulous moisturised glow for days to come!

Yeah. I've gotten tons of facials, and while they're luxurious, they're useless. I asked my dermatologist. That won't stop me from getting them, but when can't afford it I don't see a reason to.

Tigerlily said:
I started using Pond's Cold Cream a couple weeks back and my skin is now sooo much smoother! I haven't had a blemish in weeks and even though it's a bit too greasy for my already oily skin, it gives me that dewy look in the morning, which I like. I use the cream to take off my make-up at night, then my Cetaphil facewash followed by some witch hazel. It's also a great moisturizer. :D

I agree with Ashes of Roses and LelaViavonie that the cold cream has made my skin look younger, too!

That's great! I tried that last year when the ladies here were all talking about it. All it did was give me zits!! As usual! lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

Apple Annie said:
I'd stick with the Proactiv if I was you - I tried the "natural" route for years, listening to these people (the stuff I slopped onto my face, you wouldn't believe!) Finaly I gave in and went to the doctors and got some Differin and Antibiotics. Well waddya know - doctors actually know what they're talking about!

I know! I have done EVERYTHING! Only the harsh stuff works for me. lol

androidpop

New in Town
a seasoned zit veteran

I have struggled with zits since i hit puberty and here is what works for me...

I use the Mac studio Fix, its a powder that has great coverage, and is oil free, great for the summer and winter. It keeps the oil down! I cant use liquid foundation at all :mad:
I use Clearisil (sp) pore cleansing pads at night, and the exfoliating 3 day clear face wash (cant think of the exact name for it) during the day.
I also found that not touching my face helps a lot, and keeping my hair off my face when I sleep.
I have tried expensive cleansers,toners, and moisturizers (pro activ, origins, clinique, & the main brands at drug stores) and for some reason the cheaper stuff works better for me.
Also, during the summer, use the pore cleansing pads during the day in the oily spots then reapply the powder.

Hope this helps!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I NEVER had acne (with the exception of the occasional blemish) until about 2 months ago. It's like, all of a sudden, one day, BAM! and I can't get it to go away. Some of it are the regular reddish bumps, but the worst are the hard, subcutaneous cysts.

I tried taking up OCM again with little luck. Mario Badescu products are supposedly really good though I've had little success with those. I've been trying Proactiv for the past week or so, and while it's cleared up some of my problem spots, I can still tell on some of of the cystic areas that there's still a little something in there that's going to become inflamed again and continue causing problems. I'm having the worst problems on areas of my face that aren't even oily.

As someone who pretty much had perfect skin for almost the first 30 years of her life, this has been incredibly disheartening and difficult for me. Last night, I could tell I was getting a cyst just under one of my eyebrows and put some Proactiv spot treatment on it. I woke up this morning with a cyst on my eyelid so large that my eye was almost completely swollen shut. This **** seriously makes me want to become invisible. I drink tons of water, get plenty of exercise, eat (mostly) healthy, and wear no makeup most of the time. It takes about 3 months to get an appointment with the dermatologist. I guess it's time to start working through the many suggestions here. Something's bound to work....right?

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I NEVER had acne (with the exception of the occasional blemish) until about 2 months ago. It's like, all of a sudden, one day, BAM! and I can't get it to go away. Some of it are the regular reddish bumps, but the worst are the hard, subcutaneous cysts.

I tried taking up OCM again with little luck. Mario Badescu products are supposedly really good though I've had little success with those. I've been trying Proactiv for the past week or so, and while it's cleared up some of my problem spots, I can still tell on some of of the cystic areas that there's still a little something in there that's going to become inflamed again and continue causing problems. I'm having the worst problems on areas of my face that aren't even oily.

As someone who pretty much had perfect skin for almost the first 30 years of her life, this has been incredibly disheartening and difficult for me. Last night, I could tell I was getting a cyst just under one of my eyebrows and put some Proactiv spot treatment on it. I woke up this morning with a cyst on my eyelid so large that my eye was almost completely swollen shut. This **** seriously makes me want to become invisible. I drink tons of water, get plenty of exercise, eat (mostly) healthy, and wear no makeup most of the time. It takes about 3 months to get an appointment with the dermatologist. I guess it's time to start working through the many suggestions here. Something's bound to work....right?

I feel your pain, Kitty. The one on your eyelid sounds like a stye. They are painful! I had one on the under-side of my eyelid, before (felt like pine needles in my eye). You can use warm compresses, to help it open up. At the same time, try not to touch it too much because they can be highly contagious. A doctor can prescripe antibiotic drops, they help clear it up faster then leaving it on its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner