Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad experience with Aero Leather

Status
Not open for further replies.

rippsnorter

New in Town
Perhaps we should have a "mediocre, neither good nor bad, experiences" thread, too?

I'm not being serious. I mean, this stuff has to be polarised to some extent, doesn't it? As we've talked about above, the flood of fanboy/whatever comments will tend to drown out any negatives, at least on this forum (tbh I do believe we have several shills - and definitely some sock puppets - posting to FLounge for various companies, and this is one reason I don't tend to post in these threads, or in the outerwear section at all, very much). Reviews have to be for the prospective customer. A customer considering buying an Aero (or whichever other company) will come here through Google searching. They're hardly likely to read through hundreds of pages of a general experiences thread and sift out the good and bad comments. Dedicated good review and bad review threads in that regard can be useful.

Personally, i don't bother reading good reviews. By the time I'm actually considering a purchase, I've done most of my own research and only want to hear the negatives some people have experienced, in order to expect and if possible head off any problems. The reason I don't have a Lost Worlds jacket, for example, is the consistently negative experiences suggested by people not only on this forum bu many others as well. In a general thread I fear that those negatives would get lost. I'm one of those people who would not go through hundreds of pages to determine a consensus.

Thanks for this Baron.

Several times I had tried to say the same thing, but apparently just couldn't get my thoughts across properly.

Not having bad reviews in their own thread makes it extremely hard to research a purchase. For example someone mentioned a bad experience they had, and that they had posted about it in a thread. I spent over an hour looking for their post, never did find it. It was lost amongst all the thousands of posts without more information to search for.

As to the shilling, when I first joined this place, before I even posted, I noticed a definite attitude among some people that felt like shilling. If they couldn't badger someone's post into submission, they spammed their thread way off topic.

After lots of reading old threads and researching, I now feel like I know even less of the internal politics and behind the scenes stuff that goes on, but there's a few obvious people I wish I could just block all their posts outright.

All in all I'm getting the distinct impression that this forum is not as friendly as I first thought.

rippsnorter

New in Town
Rule #1 of the internet.
Never underestimate the lengths people will go to on the internet. It seems to bring out the absolute worst anti social behaviour in way too many people simply because they think they are "anonymous".

It speaks volumes about their character.

As an aside about this, 6 or 7 years ago I was on a very tight knit, friendly forum. A member spent over a year ingratiating himself, befriending people and learning people's secrets. He then spent about a month destroying everyone he possibly could. Broke a marriage up (he had encouraged some infidelity, then informed the husband) and posting people's information everywhere.

After all the dust settled, he laughingly informed everyone that this is how he has fun. He doesn't have anything else to do with his evenings after work, and it was cheaper than a movie. After that he spent the rest of his time on the forum re-registering under other names and IP addresses and trying to infect people with viruses and trying out his burgeoning hacker skills.

I knew another woman that when she broke up with her longtime boyfriend he posted her name, address, phone number and pictures of her and of her preteen daughter on all the hacker forums he could. Encouraging everyone to call her, screw with her, and make threats on her daughter.

frussell

One Too Many
Rippsnorter - your observation (from your previous to last post) about badgering followed by spamming is, unfortunately, right on the money. Pretty much the same folks every time. Someone new to this forum probably finds that pattern pretty discouraging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21