Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Fortune

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
I am new here, so forgive me if this matter of hat etiquette has been covered in the past. I was brought up to believe that it is extremely unlucky to put your hat on a bed. In fact, my grandfather who was in the hat business insisted that putting one's hat on the bed was a death wish. Does anyone else labor under this impression?

Buzz

Dreispitz

One Too Many
M6Classic said:
I am new here, so forgive me if this matter of hat etiquette has been covered in the past. I was brought up to believe that it is extremely unlucky to put your hat on a bed. In fact, my grandfather who was in the hat business insisted that putting one's hat on the bed was a death wish. Does anyone else labor under this impression?

Buzz

No! Swords, hats, girls .... all fine in beds! :D

Having said that, raddish is a diferent story :eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
I knew there was one there and was trying to find it - Lefty do you have them all book-marked or are you a complete search whizz?

I remembered the discussion, went to google and searched:

hat bed site:thefedoralounge.com

It was the first result. No wizardry here. :D

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I remembered the discussion, went to google and searched:

hat bed site:thefedoralounge.com

It was the first result. No wizardry here. :D

Good thing you added :thefedoralounge.com!

You might still be sifting through many unsavory websites.lol

Brad

Dewhurst

Practically Family
duggap said:
As we so often say down south, "don't make me no never mind".[huh]

As someone raised in the North who now lives in the South it is a deeply mysterious saying. Any clue as to the meaning?

In relation to hats, beds, and the combination of the two: people love their superstitions. I doubt, very much, that there is anything substantial behind the notion other than fevered imaginations lacking in originality and the desire to perpetuate nonsense.

:p

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Dewhurst said:
As someone raised in the North who now lives in the South it is a deeply mysterious saying. Any clue as to the meaning?

In relation to hats, beds, and the combination of the two: people love their superstitions. I doubt, very much, that there is anything substantial behind the notion other than fevered imaginations lacking in originality and the desire to perpetuate nonsense.

:p

"Don't make me no never mind" is exactly the same as your fellow Northerner (being polite here, y'know) George Thorogood's landlady in his song "I Drink Alone" says: "That don't confront me none."

Funny thing about superstitions- they're very subjective- I take my own very seriously, but not other people's. Hats on bed not a problem for me, but I won't kill a spider. Very bad medicine, that. Plus I just like spiders.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Daoud said:
Funny thing about superstitions- they're very subjective- I take my own very seriously, but not other people's.

Mmm, very interesting. I'll bet a lot of people do this.

Daoud said:
Hats on bed not a problem for me, but I won't kill a spider.

I haven't heard of the killing spiders one. What is the taboo there?

High Pockets

Practically Family
I hadn't heard about killing spiders either,...do tell.

As for me,.....I NEVER lay a hat on a bed, and I never give my hat to a woman when visiting her home 'cause she might go put it on a bed.

Y'all do what you want, but I'm telling you it's bad Juju! :eek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For me, no-hats-on-the-bed is a practical issue.

Hat thrown on bed; stuff thrown on bed that partially or completely covers hat; human body sits or lays on everything and crushes hat under stuff.

Bad foirtune is for the hat.

pretzel

New in Town
There's a scene in the movie "Drugstore Cowboy" (I believe) where the girlfriend throws a hat on the bed :eusa_doh: ...bad stuff happens later :(

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, if it were true, I'd have died *long* ago.

I'm always putting hats on and off the bed. Hatboxes, too.

I have this twice a year ritual where I drag hats into the bedroom from the mud room (where they hang on hooks). Then, I pull the hat boxes out of the closet and put *them* on the bed. Then, I switch hats out of the boxes onto the bed, put the original set into the boxes, put the boxes into the closet, and finally hang the new set on their respective hooks out in the mud room.

Y'all follow all that?? lol

In other words, I have a set of regularly worn cool weather hats and a set of warm weather ones that *all* wind up on the bed twice a year!

Funny, though. I was born in the North and folks used the saying:

'Don't make no nevermind'

as opposed to:

'Don't make *me* no nevermind'.

odd. very odd....

Later!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Stan said:
I'm always putting hats on and off the bed. Hatboxes, too.

The ridiculous superstition probably lives or dies depending on what you view a bad "as".

I, and many others on here, view a bed as a multi-use tool. One part recliner, one part table, another part intimate use, another part slumber party. I like to get out magazines and books and put stacks of them on the bed and sit on the bed and go through all of them.

That is probably a taboo in some culture. "Don't put magazines on your sleeping device... EVIL!!!"

[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy