Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandanas: Okay, or dorky?

Drea

New in Town
I think there great especially if your in a hurry you can just wrap your hair up and go.. I think there awesome.. I have about a million :) but yes.. wear them with pride!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Thanks Feathers!!!

Miss Hannah, When I wear mine rosie style, mine tend to slide up off my short neck, but I found that mostly they do it on the smaller scarves. If I have a larger scarf, it won't slide as much.

The other thing you could try is maybe put some bobby pin "x"'s on the nape of your neck, and when you put on your scarf and cover them, put your "holding" bobby pins in to cross over that "x" hiding under the scarf. Maybe they just need something else to grip onto.

if you try that, let me know how it works out! Good luck!;)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Yeah, I wore a green one to an ND football game (had to have some kind of femininity) and people thought I was trying to do a do-rag. It didn't go over well. BUT! There ARE kindred spirits out there who understand and laud it and nothing is cooler than being you. The moment you feel comfortable and sexy in something somewhat daring is a beautiful thing. :D

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Rock that Bandana and please post a pic

Never mind your dumb teacher. Wow, I can't believe that. Hey the fact that any of us are on here at all shows that we are interested in a look no one else around us seems to be interested in. You're emulating an era because you are brave enough to do it and you have individuality. People say nasty and un-intelligent things because they have low self esteem and want to look better and/or they are jealous because they aren't brave enough to pull off their fav look in public.

Btw, a group of teenage girls made fun of me and my sister in the store (my sister was doing a 4o's bathing suit photo shoot for her portfolio...she wan't to be model/dancer) while we were grabbing some last minute makeup items for her. My sister is really shy about her body and started to blush so I got REALLY angry:rage: and asked the girls to look in a dressing room mirror for me. I pointed out that they all had the same clothes and hair and they were making fun of individuality. I asked them how it felt to look like the BRATz dolls and to be seen as something that could be sold on a shelf.lol The others got angry and left, but one girl came forward to my sis and told her she really thought she was pretty and wanted to find out where she got her clothes.

I told my sis the same things I tell all my friends...If you like it do it, if you want it get it, it ain't what you do it's how you do it!
I can't wait to see your bandana pic so I can lift the idea to...let's see if we can coordinate a bandana day and all post how it went on here! Hugs!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Ok, I have a problem with my headscarf wearing. I like to wear them Rosie the Riveter style, but the back of my head is really flat and they just won't stay put, even if I cover the inner surface with hairspray and bobby pin at the sides. I also have a low hairline at the back so I always end up with all those fuzzy bits of neck hair sticking out the bottom as the scarf rides up the back of my head... any tips?!!

This is pretty much why I never wear scarfs! I love the way they look but just can't get them to stay on my head. Also for some reason I don't think they look quite right on me anyway. I agree with Red though about trying a longer scarf and clipping the back and sides.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks for the tip Red... I will try that. I normally bobby pin the sides which helps a bit. It's definitely better with bigger scarves as you don't have to tie it so tightly either. Also, now my hair is longer I'm going to try doing a low bun-type-thing to see if that gives it a bit more to hang onto!

messenger bird

New in Town
Bandanas can look adorable, I think! I roll mine from the corner (so when you are looking at it, it's a diamond shape) so the finished band is longer... and tie it once, and then take the ends after they're tied and bobby pin them down or if they're short enough, just leave them so they look kind of like a little bow. :] I usually wear them with my hair up in chop sticks. :]

<3 Nikkie

Nashoba

One Too Many
yeah, my parents make fun of me when I wear one, and airport security didn't like it (I had my hair in pin curls..needless to say the metal detector went off and they wanded my head...I guess to make sure it wouldn't explode..sigh, lesson learned) and sometimes I get funny looks, but screw 'em. some of those folks should look in a mirror at what they're passing off as acceptable in town and then contemplate commenting on me. I say wear 'em. They're practical

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Same problem here too! I find that I have to have my hair up in a french roll, jaw clip, or false hair attached in back to give that "base" for the scarf to conform too.
Nikki

MissHannah said:
Ok, I have a problem with my headscarf wearing. I like to wear them Rosie the Riveter style, but the back of my head is really flat and they just won't stay put, even if I cover the inner surface with hairspray and bobby pin at the sides. I also have a low hairline at the back so I always end up with all those fuzzy bits of neck hair sticking out the bottom as the scarf rides up the back of my head... any tips?!!

redlight_artist

New in Town
I love scarves and bandanas and finally mustered up the nerve to wear them out. It's so silly how something a simple as a square of fabric can cause such a stir... but the same is true for bikinis I suppose.

Still, I love how I can still look cute on windy or bad weather days.

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
It all depends on what you are wearing. Let's say for instance you're wearing a floral dress and heels,and you decide to tie a bright red bandana around your head. That is an instant no-no.

But,if you're wearing a pair of snug fitting jeans and a cute button-up top than by all means go for it.

When I see someone wearing a bandana tied at the front of the head it always reminds me of the rockabilly look. And I love it!

Please,wear what makes you happy.:D

Miss Brill

One Too Many
VanillaT said:
I like to wear a bandana tied around my head (in a cute way, I always thought) on very windy days or otherwise bad hair days. I was in bandana wearing oblivion, until one day last week a got pretty much made fun of by my teacher for wearing it. So, I ask you all here... does it look bad to wear a bandana on the head for a casual look? I always thought it was kind of fun and vintage-y, you know, woman goes to work in the factory kind of thing. Now I just feel really self-conscious in general... what else am I doing that is making me look like a freak... is my red lipstick viewed the same way?

Arg.

That is vey rude, and stupid, considering all the things people wear these days. All the giant fly-eye sunglasses, the silly plastic jewelry, leggings. These girls now want to look like Nicole Richie or the Olsen twins and people dare comment about someone wearing something nice & vintage? :rolleyes:

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i have been renamed washer-woman by my friends due to my wearing bandanas. hahaha. i think they're awesome. i have an oversized one that i wear as my do-rag for my overnight sets. my mom says i look like a glamourpuss when i get up!

i get comments from people sometimes too. but it just spurs me on to buy more clothes, to be honest.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I love wearing my red bandana! Although at school they don't allow them, I still wear mine occasionally and usually get through the day without a supervisor or narc telling me to take it off. I'm pretty sure I don't look like I'm part of a gang!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Hihi, that's funny, TigerLilly. And imagine, what if all the wannabe-gangsters on your school becomes aware of this loophole and start's wearing bandanas Rosie-style? I think they would look just adorable!

melbournian

New in Town
I wore a bandanna like a headband today, because my curls from yesterday are falling out and I needed something to hold it in a bit :) I wore it like a headband, thus:

2197123052_9dd9a4592d.jpg

I'm still a bit shy to wear it out a la Rosie, but I'll probably have to at some point if my hair's in pins :)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
That looks so goog on you, melbournian!
I wear my bandanas the same way, I don't have the guts to go full Rosie.(Yet?). But I do som rolls or something in the front and put my hair in a ponytail, and I think it makes a good-looking semi-Rosie.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Helen Troy said:
Hihi, that's funny, TigerLilly. And imagine, what if all the wannabe-gangsters on your school becomes aware of this loophole and start's wearing bandanas Rosie-style? I think they would look just adorable!

lol I can imagine that, it would be funny!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Retro Style Hair Scarves!

I found these super cute hair scarves at Walmart yesterday. I picked up 4 different ones. They were on sale for $4.00 too!

One is a beach scene, and the rest are like the travel-map-tablecloth-style.
All vintage/retro looking.

Here's a couple pics so you can see. The maps were mostly of Florida, and one was of New England.

100_4932.jpg

100_4933.jpg

Aren't they super cute?!:D

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
I found these super cute hair scarves at Walmart yesterday. I picked up 4 different ones. They were on sale for $4.00 too!

One is a beach scene, and the rest are like the travel-map-tablecloth-style.
All vintage/retro looking.

Here's a couple pics so you can see. The maps were mostly of Florida, and one was of New England.

100_4932.jpg

100_4933.jpg

Aren't they super cute?!:D

Really? I need to head over there this weekend. Hopefully the one near me has them still. So cute!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner