Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banned by VFW Magazine but not Classic Style Magazine!!

JD Boswell

New in Town
Hope this is the right place to put this......[huh]

As some of you know each year I publish a charity 1940's pinup calendar to benefit militarythemed charities. Last year we donated the profits to a scholarship fund for the children whose parents had been killed in action. This year we did two calendars to benefit an organization that builds comfort homes for military families to stay in while their loved ones undergo medical care (Fisher House). One of the calendars is a color pinup http://www.classic-pinup.com/gallery1.htm and the other is a black and white film noir calendar http://www.classic-pinup.com/gallery5.htm .

Anyway we placed a small ad in VFW magazine and the day before they were going to press the publisher pulled my ad because he thought my site was too racy!! :eusa_doh: Needless to say it isn't!

But I digress....The folks at Classic Style Magazine come to the rescue!!! The get me a 1/2 page ad for the same price VFW was gonna give me for a tiny ad!!

So all you folks out there in the Lounge go out and buy Classic Style Magazine and while your at it buy a charity calendar. You'll love the B&W one especially.

Thanks for your support!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
JD Boswell said:
... we placed a small ad in VFW magazine and the day before they were going to press the publisher pulled my ad because he thought my site was too racy!!

How hypocritical. Has the publisher forgotten what has helped those scared and lonely servicemen get through foreign wars since, well, the first foreign war?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
'Tis strange sometimes, the way people perceive, define and enforce their morality. No doubt they felt their reasons were valid, but I'm pleased that you were able to get the word out - service charities are all too often forgotten in the face of more 'media-friendly' causes.

JD Boswell

New in Town
Doc,

Being a Vet, and a life member of the VFW I couldn't understand it either. For heaven's sake my Mom is giving out the calendars for gifts to her friends. Then again she had a B-17 named after her "Snuggle Bug";)

I mean to be a member of the VFW you have to be at least 18 years old and have fought in a foreign war! Even if you were 17 in 1942 your not 17 now.

Anyway I wrote an angry letter to the publisher, for all thats worth.

Oh by the way this was the Ad I was going to place in VFW magazine:

VFW2007.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Suggested letter...

Mail to: JNewberry@vfw.org

J. Newberry
Director, Communications and Public Affairs
Veterans of Foreign Wars

Dear Sir or Madam:

It has come to my attention that you have refused to run a small ad that was to have been placed by "Classic-Pinup.com" in VFW Magazine for a pinup calendar the benefits of which would have gone to Fisher House, an organization that builds comfort homes for military families to stay in while their loved ones undergo medical care.

As an American patriot and a firm supporter of our men and women in uniform who are proudly and selflessly defending our shared ideals of freedom and democracy, I am at a loss to understand why you find this particular calendar to be objectionable.

I would appreciate it very much if you could promptly respond to this email and provide me with a complete and cogent explanation for your action.

Awaiting your response, I remain,

Yours truly,

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Pretty tame in my book, Ash...

Respectfully disagree, but then I'm not in your shoes. (I pray your guy and all of those who are serving come back soon and safely.)

Afterthought: The Film Noir calendar is certainly more FL style. (Classier)

JD Boswell

New in Town
Some say too racy, then some say not racy enough.

Some women send calendars over to their loved ones. Some don't.

Some people send me money to send calendars to troops I know in Iraq or Afghanistan. Sometimes I just send 'em myself since I know first hand what a cr@ppy place combat can be!

Some pose for the calendar, Miss August's (in the 2007 pinup calendar) Husband in a Navy Corpsman attached to a Marine Infantry Unit.

Some women hire me to shoot pics so they can send them over to their Hubbies in Iraq.

Some women write me letters of thanks for donating all the profits to a place they can stay at while their loved ones regain their strength and recover from their combat wounds.

To each his or her own.......

JD Boswell

New in Town
Ashley,

Bring on the men of the FL and I'll shoot them for 2008! If you can find a market to sell them sucessfully I'm all for it!!! Still think your Husband would like the pinup one over the men of the Fedora Lounge! ;) ;)

By the way give him our best and tell him that we support him and the mission 100%!

JD Boswell

New in Town
Matter of fact I do! Her Husband may answer the phone though!:eusa_doh:

I shot all the pics and still keep in touch with the models. Buy a calendar and I'll get her to autograph it for ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany