Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bar soaps

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Just wanted to add, for anyone in the U.K. I can really recommend the eBay seller Aromaville for (almost) all-natural soaps and shampoo bars. In fact I think many of their soaps are entirely natural, and each one has a complete list of ingredients on the eBay page. They do not use SLS or parabens or many other chemical ingredients. They are very reasonably priced (between £3 and £4 including delivery costs) and come very nicely packaged with a full list of ingredients and in a little ribbon-tied bag (I'm thinking they would be good for presents!).

I have tried two of their soaps and one shampoo bar and so far I am very pleased indeed. I have been using the Dead Sea Mud Bar on my face and it seems to be doing as good a job as my previous Lush cleanser, which cost £5 for a 100g piece and contained SLS and parabens, amongst other things... I am currently using their Hops and Rhassoul shampoo bar, and whilst it doesn't smell too good, (no added fragrance!) I am pleased with its effects. I was also sent a sample of their Rhassoul soap which has a lovely creamy lather and an exotic fragrance. Of all three products I can say they seem to be mild, non-drying and effective.

Just wanted to spread the word as they seem like a really great seller in so many respects. I know how hard it can be to find natural products that are really natural, but still affordable. If anyone tries anything else from them, I'd love to know what you think!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I just recently bought the Neutrogena facial cleansing bar on a whim, as my face was getting a bit spotty from all the humid weather. For a cheap ol' soap, it's a wonder... my skin is so clean and pretty, I can't believe it. It smells yummy too. Not bad for $3.00; I'm pleased as punch.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I found affordable Cashmere Bouquet in the US. Drugstore.com http://www.drugstore.com/cashmere-b...rance-4-oz/qxp16631?fromsrch=cashmere+bouquet

and? just placed an order. I'm a happy gal.
Do you have a Everything 99Cent store in your area?
I just bought the two pack there for 99cent.

I'm not usually a fan of commercial bar soap, prefer body wash. My 18 year old prefers bar soap.
I grated it down, added a couple cups of water and simmered on low for a while on the stove to make my own body wash. (supposed to put glycerine in it too, didnt have any and cant find any when I remember to look, but its kept it consistancy pretty well). Works like a charm. Filled two empty body wash bottles that I had on hand lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
I love camay soap.. particularly the PINK one. It is still available here, but you have to know where to look.I luckily have a friend who keeps me supplied & makes sure i get a stash for christmas each year. i don't really do well with a lot of scented products..but for some reason i can tolerate this soap.I keep it by the sink, in the shower, in the kitchen....everywhere :)

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
My cousin spend some months in the czech republic last year and gave me this as a gift. It´s a beer soap and smells fabulous. The best bar soap I ever had. It was shaped like a piece of cake which made it even more awesome :).

alica

New in Town
I always uses face wash for face, but I use Dove soap for my skin because it’s Ph is lower than other soaps.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I use cleanser on my face and liquid body wash, but I do use bar soap as well. Right now I'm using the Dove green tea bar. I really like it, it is very moisturizing and smells fresh.

I also love Yardley bar soaps, especially the lavender and the pomegranate rose. Also around the holidays they had a winter spice (cinnamon) and a vanilla, which were both fantastic! They sold out really quickly at the drugstores here.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I vaguely remember Camay used during childhood. I haven't used it in a while, but I always liked Kiss My Face honey and olive. I do like and use some from LUSH, like Alkmaar and Chox Away.

Pearl

New in Town
The other day I watched the Nate Berkus show (my guilty pleasure!) which had a segment for keeping skin hydrated during the winter. The guest 'celebrity dermatologist' showcased an array of different products. The soap he suggested was Ivory. I'm always leery of using "recommended" products, suspecting they may be sponsored, but seeing that all the other products he recommended I use regularly and with much success, I'm hoping the Ivory will be the same. Off to the dollar store I go! ;-)

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I use cleanser on my face and liquid body wash, but I do use bar soap as well. Right now I'm using the Dove green tea bar. I really like it, it is very moisturizing and smells fresh.

I also love Yardley bar soaps, especially the lavender and the pomegranate rose. Also around the holidays they had a winter spice (cinnamon) and a vanilla, which were both fantastic! They sold out really quickly at the drugstores here.

I just discovered Yardley soap after picking up a couple of vintage Yardley compacts two summers ago at an antique fair. I never even thought to look at Christmas time for a holiday scent! I bet the vanilla one was just divine! So far I've only seen the lavendar and my husband liked it so much he found an oatmeal and almond scent that makes me think of a particular bear claw I used to get in a local bakery.

I wasn't too keen on how it dried out my skin at first, especially my arms but they seem to be adjusting so I'll keep going and see how well it does through spring and summer.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
It isn't the most moisturizing soap, but I love the fragrances. I use it more during the summer, as my skin tends to be dry. The lavender is my favorite. The oatmeal-almond is nice too, though!

Kishtu

Practically Family
In the bathroom at the moment, Faith in Nature organic lavender soap and tea tree soap.

Just the smell of Wright's Coal Tar Soap though takes me back to my childhood, when my gran used to keep a bar on the scullery sink... not sure I'd use the stuff on my face though!

Just the smell of Wright's Coal Tar Soap though takes me back to my childhood, when my gran used to keep a bar on the scullery sink... not sure I'd use the stuff on my face though!

Coal Tar & pine tar soaps are used for soothing skin maladies, such as (spelling) exema, psoriasis and even dandruff. They tend to be fairly mild soaps. Packer's Pine Tar soap (as seen in the Aviator movie) was a regular in my parents household. When I would get winter dandruff washing my hair with it gave relief and would often eliminate the dandruff for 7-10 days. Neutragena uses tars for the same purpose in their shampoo. Can't say they smell like flowers though.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
Remember when I said this?

When my aunt passed away 16 years ago she left me 8 bars of Lux soap. I used them all and that was the last time I used bar soap. Sometimes I regret it that I used them all, but I think Lux is still around over here.

Well I am using bar soaps again :) This time it's Dove and Maya. I also found out that Lux is still being sold in the Netherlands.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
This soap is my favorite - made by a local lavender farm family by hand. They also have other scents, but this is my favorite It's really luxurious and gentle. It's sold all over the area here, and they also sell on Amazon and other online shops.

1110-Lav-lrg-soap.gif

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
This soap is my favorite - made by a local lavender farm family by hand. They also have other scents, but this is my favorite It's really luxurious and gentle. It's sold all over the area here, and they also sell on Amazon and other online shops.

1110-Lav-lrg-soap.gif
I saw this on Beauty Habit recently. I will have to give it a try.

Tonight I bought a bar of Kiss My Face Olive + Honey soap. So comforting to me. :)

lareine

A-List Customer
Awww, they took the actual coal tar out of it since granny days. I remember the smell too! But the ingredients aren't the same any more.

I bet the vanilla one was just divine! So far I've only seen the lavendar and my husband liked it so much he found an oatmeal and almond scent that makes me think of a particular bear claw I used to get in a local bakery.
I have a Roger & Gallet vanilla soap on the go at the moment, but it's kind of weird. I think I don't enjoy vanilla in a soap even though I enjoy it in just about everything else. Oatmeal and almond, now, those I can do ;) I have never had them together in one soap, but I've got Caswell Massey almond soaps and oatmeal soaps and they are both gorgeous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner