Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbara Stanwyck Films

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite actress of the Golden Era. I love her background, that she was a chorus girl, and that she was raised from age four by her chorus girl sister and other relatives and such an upbringing didn't seem to hold her back one bit. That she was known as a consumate professional. I find her to be quite an inspiration. As a child, I loved watching her in reruns of Big Valley, where she played such a strong female role. And I remember that Linda Evans spoke of her being a mentor on that set.

My favorite films of her as of right now... I'd say are:

Christmas in Connecticut 1945
Remember the Night 1940
Ball of Fire 1945
Lady of Burlesque 1943
Night Nurse (with Joan Blodell, whom I adore) 1931
The Miracle Woman 1939

Also, if you're a fan of radio, there's a great Lux Radio version of Remember the Night, and Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck both reprise their roles.

http://ia700504.us.archive.org/13/items/Lux05/Lux_40-03-25_Remember_the_Night.mp3

Anyone else love Barbara Stanwyck's films?

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I really enjoyed seeing her in "Double Indemnity" and "Meet John Doe". She was so smart and sexy, it was plain to see why she had become such a big star. I had only seen her in her "Big Valley" series and it was fun to see her as a young woman.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I adore Miss Stanwyck. She looks like my mom -- especially when she has sunglasses on! My faves of hers are:

Night Nurse (1931)
Ladies They Talk About (1933)
Baby Face (1933)
The Bride Walks Out (1936)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I only recently saw my first Barbara Stanwyck film 'The Mad Miss Manton' (picked up the DVD in a charity shop for £1) and I liked her alot! I'm not generally a great film watcher, but I must make an effort to see more of her films, so thanks for the recommendations, ladies.

DrDialtone

New in Town
LOVE BABS!!! Personal faves: Double Indemnity, The File On Thelma Jordan, The Strange Loves Of Martha Ivers, and Clash By Night. Hands down, the best 'femme fatale of film noir!!!!"

DrDialtone

New in Town
In fact, my 1947 Plymouth is named after her character in Double Indemnity... "Phyllis"... a looker with curves of steel; knows what she wants and gets it whatever it takes! Sadly, we don't have anyone even close to Babs, nor any of the other Noir Dames: Audrey Totter, Gloria Graham, Jan Sterling, Lizbeth Scott, Ann Savage and Marie Windsor to name a few...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I love Babs too :D I can't get enough of her in the late 40s and 50s: Sorry, Wrong Number (1948), Clash By Night (1952), Witness to Murder (1954), Crime of Passion (1957) were all sensational!

I, of course, loved Double Indemnity (1944) "Baby", and she made me cry in Stella Dallas and Meet John Doe (both 1937).

Also, every Babs fan needs to see The Night Walker (1964). She's paired with her ex-husband Robert Taylor in William Castle's schlockiest best - who can forget her screaming "I CAN'T WAKE UP!!"

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Ohhh, definitely Ball of Fire and Christmas in Connecticut! Adore them both! Also love Meet John Doe.
As a kid, I remember watching her in the western TV show, The Big Valley, as the matriarch of the family.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Also, every Babs fan needs to see The Night Walker (1964). She's paired with her ex-husband Robert Taylor in William Castle's schlockiest best - who can forget her screaming "I CAN'T WAKE UP!!"

This is one I hadn't heard of! Thank you for mentioning it. I looked up the trailer-

[video=youtube;4fAyyozUNIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fAyyozUNIo[/video]

I can't wait to find it on video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24