Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

Cracker

One of the Regulars
When I lived in Raleigh about 10 years ago, I fell in love with NC pulled pork (Eastern style only, please). Some favorites were Scott's in Goldsboro and Troutmans in Concord, and when the cravings hit me, the Smithfield chain of restaurants found across eastern NC did the trick. I worked for the NCDOT doing architectural surveys, usually in the rural parts of eastern NC, so was able to sample all kinds of local 'Q. Man, that was good eating.

Now I live in Texas, where I was born and raised, but I brought my love for hickory smoked pork shoulders with me, and have converted many of my friends and family to the ways of the smoky, vinagery swine. But you've also got to cook for the hometown team, so I've learned to do a mean brisket as well. Cooking barbeque is one of my favorite things to do.

petes hats

New in Town
I had a pulled pork sandwich with mac and cheese and collards on the side for lunch today. Washed it down with a sweet tea (the only way). Living in NC is great sometimes!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am a mean barbecuer.. I decided it was the best way to prepare the beef tenderloin for the new years party .. even though it meant I had to stand in the freezing cold watching the others nibble the entrees inside..

MissS

A-List Customer
petes hats said:
I had a pulled pork sandwich with mac and cheese and collards on the side for lunch today. Washed it down with a sweet tea (the only way). Living in NC is great sometimes!

Umh, what is sweet tea? Just very sweet normal tea? And collards??

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Iced tea that is very sweet, sweetened with sugar. Collards are collard greens. (a leafy vegetable)

Actually, what differentiates sweet tea from iced tea that's been sweetened is that the sugar is added while the tea is still hot, so that it dissolves and the sweetness of the finished product is more uniform. Sweet tea does not have to be overly sugary - good sweet tea can be subtly sweet as well.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Actually, what differentiates sweet tea from iced tea that's been sweetened is that the sugar is added while the tea is still hot, so that it dissolves and the sweetness of the finished product is more uniform. Sweet tea does not have to be overly sugary - good sweet tea can be subtly sweet as well.

This is very true about the adding sugar while the tea is still hot. THanks for clarifying. Honestly the taste is like day and night. (tea sweetened after its been brewed and cooled vs tea that is sweetened during brewing, steeping.)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I am a mean barbecuer.. I decided it was the best way to prepare the beef tenderloin for the new years party .. even though it meant I had to stand in the freezing cold watching the others nibble the entrees inside..
I've done the same thinglol . And ruined some pretty nice clothes, to boot, while barbecuing for my parties. Only kept company by some occasional cigarette smokers.:rolleyes: "Can someone bring me out some cheese and crackers?":(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
desi_de_lu_lu said:
This is very true about the adding sugar while the tea is still hot. Honestly the taste is like day and night. (tea sweetened after its been brewed and cooled vs tea that is sweetened during brewing, steeping.)
If you sweeten with simple syrup the former will taste like the latter. And, each individual can control the sweetness of their serving.;)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:
This is very true about the adding sugar while the tea is still hot. THanks for clarifying. Honestly the taste is like day and night. (tea sweetened after its been brewed and cooled vs tea that is sweetened during brewing, steeping.)

Hot tea will hold much more sugar in suspension than will cool tea. By adding sugar when the tea is warm and then letting the mixture cool, the tea can be supersaturated with sugar and is thereby much sweeter tasting.

AF

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rumblefish said:
I've done the same thinglol . And ruined some pretty nice clothes, to boot, while barbecuing for my parties. Only kept company by some occasional cigarette smokers.:rolleyes: "Can someone bring me out some cheese and crackers?":(

Well I demanded my own bottle of champers to keep me company :) There is a pic somewhere of me, dressed up in furcoat and stilletos, standing in the snow turning the tenderloin with a giant pair of steaktweezers. Got to do it in style..

rumblefish

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Well I demanded my own bottle of champers to keep me company :) There is a pic somewhere of me, dressed up in furcoat and stilletos, standing in the snow turning the tenderloin with a giant pair of steaktweezers. Got to do it in style..
lol lol lol I will, for now on, refer to my barbecue tongs as steaktweezers! I love it!:)

MissS

A-List Customer
Darhling said:

Yay! I'm not the only one who does this (minus the fur coat - it doen't get that cold here!)!!!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rumblefish said:
lol lol lol I will, for now on, refer to my barbecue tongs as steaktweezers! I love it!:)

lol lol lol sorry for the mistake, but when english isn't my native tongue, I do tend to make a few mistakes. As long as you understood what I meant then it's all good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn