Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I experienced wonderful parilladas when we were living in South America but for me it still has to be a good old Kiwi barbie. Either steak, lamb chops and bangers or prawns, snapper and mussels all done on a charcoal tripod or if at the beach a grill propped up on a few bricks.

RIOT

Practically Family
I #%$$#@#$^ had to click on this thread. I blame you all for my Pearson's craving right now.

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Hot tea will hold much more sugar in suspension than will cool tea. By adding sugar when the tea is warm and then letting the mixture cool, the tea can be supersaturated with sugar and is thereby much sweeter tasting.

AF

I was never sure how they did it in NC. Sometimes I thought it was sweetened with those little saccharine pills. But anyway, in Houston they don't seem to serve much sweet tea. You have to sweeten your own glass, and it's such a hassle (as I found as a kid, often with a half-inch of sugar in the bottom of my glass) that I've gone back to drinking it unsweetened.

(btw, love the Tele avatar.)

petes hats

New in Town
Cracker said:
You have to sweeten your own glass, and it's such a hassle (as I found as a kid, often with a half-inch of sugar in the bottom of my glass) that I've gone back to drinking it unsweetened.

Cracker, I will have a sweet tea for you today, brother. :D

Stay strong in Houston! lol

rumblefish

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I experienced wonderful parilladas when we were living in South America but for me it still has to be a good old Kiwi barbie. Either steak, lamb chops and bangers or prawns, snapper and mussels all done on a charcoal tripod or if at the beach a grill propped up on a few bricks.

Parilladas! Boy, I don't hear that to often outside the circle of my Argentine friends. :essen:
Tim, ever have the Mollejas?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I didn't have them over there but I've had lamb sweetbreads back home. I've had "mountain oysters" as well :eek:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
I was never sure how they did it in NC. Sometimes I thought it was sweetened with those little saccharine pills. But anyway, in Houston they don't seem to serve much sweet tea. You have to sweeten your own glass, and it's such a hassle (as I found as a kid, often with a half-inch of sugar in the bottom of my glass) that I've gone back to drinking it unsweetened.

(btw, love the Tele avatar.)

My neighbor owns Moore's Barbeque, here in New Bern. He tells me that the sweet tea he serves in his restaurant is made by mixing one pound of sugar per gallon of warm tea.

http://www.mooresbbq.com/

By the way, I wish that Tele was mine! Its a '52 original.

AF

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
My neighbor owns Moore's Barbeque, here in New Bern. He tells me that the sweet tea he serves in his restaurant is made by mixing one pound of sugar per gallon of warm tea.

http://www.mooresbbq.com/

By the way, I wish that Tele was mine! Its a '52 original.

AF

I have eaten takeout from Moore's many a time. A good friend of mine lives in New Bern, and I spent innumerable weekends on his front porch watching the train roll down the middle of Hancock. I love that town.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
I have eaten takeout from Moore's many a time. A good friend of mine lives in New Bern, and I spent innumerable weekends on his front porch watching the train roll down the middle of Hancock. I love that town.

It is a small world, indeed! I know many of the guitar players around here, so maybe we've crossed paths?

Tommy's restaurant isn't the most famous Q shack in North Carolina, but I think it is among the best. It is old enough that it was grandfathered when N.C. health regulations outlawed wood-cooked bar-b-que restaurants. If you've got a cravin' for real hickory-cooked Q, Moore's is one of the few places left where you can get your itch scratched.

AF

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
It is a small world, indeed! I know many of the guitar players around here, so maybe we've crossed paths?

Tommy's restaurant isn't the most famous Q shack in North Carolina, but I think it is among the best. It is old enough that it was grandfathered when N.C. health regulations outlawed wood-cooked bar-b-que restaurants. If you've got a cravin' for real hickory-cooked Q, Moore's is one of the few places left where you can get your itch scratched.

AF

Alas, we have not crossed paths. I never got to know any locals in New Bern outside my friend's orbit of artists/historians/old-house-owner types. But I did buy an Oscar Schmidt acoustic on sale at the music store downtown in '96 or so, which I later sold to a buddy who got it autographed by Jay Farrar at a Son Volt gig.

I've promised myself that I will make it back there one day, if for no reason than to show my wife and child all the eighteenth-century North Carolina influences that made their daddy the crazed fellow they know today. When I do, we may have to have ourselves a glorious North Carolina bluegrass hoedown.

Aviator

Familiar Face
I love me some 'Que

I grew up in the Tidewater area of VA with family in Eastern NC. Every year we would go down around the 4th of July and there was a pig-pickin' to benefit the local fire department. The dad's would stay up drinking beer and tending the fire, and sometimes someone would make some "Purple Jesus" (a punch made with fruit and grain alcohol). The next day the red-eyed dads would sell the pulled pork, and my family would always buy extra bags of the stuff to take home. So that vinegar-based pulled pork on a bun is what I think of when I think of barbecue (I skip the cole slaw on the bun).

But, I love barbecue in all its incarnations; ribs, brisket, shoulder, pork or beef (sorry, I haven't tried mutton). For large restaurants I've enjoyed Rendezvous in Memphis http://www.hogsfly.com/ and Dreamland Barbecue in Montgomeryhttp://www.dreamlandbbq.com/...despite the size of these two places (Dreamland is a chain), they have excellent stuff.

Close to home I grew up eating at Pierces Pitt Bar-B-Quehttp://www.pierces.com/, very similar to Eastern NC in style.

Barbecue will engender much discussion/argument/heated debate in the Southeastern US, as much as religion or politics (maybe more so!) And it is definitely one of the things I look for while traveling on a road trip; if I see a little barbecue shack I will bug the family to stop there and give it a try. Discovering cool little joints is what travelling is all about.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I barbequed a brisket on Saturday. Dry rub, two hours with mesquite on the coals and six hours after- let sit, slice and serve with a vinegar base sauce. This is what it looked like an hour and a half in.
DSC01062.jpg

rkwilker

One Too Many
As a native North Carolina Q consumer from way back I can vouch that there is none better than NC eastern style vinegar based Q found in places like Wilber's (Goldsboro), or Parker's (Wilson), or any other number of small out of the way Q shacks around the eastern part of our state. Wood smoked pork shoulders chopped and infused with that vinegar Q sauce. Unique Q that is only found in a certain part of our state. Yummo!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Here's a really simple & good BBQ pork recipe for the crockpot:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 T oil
2 chopped onions
6 minced garlic cloves
1 T chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
12 oz chili sauce (1 small bottle)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire
3 lb. pork shoulder

Saute the onions in the oil until soft. Add garlic, chili powder, and pepper and cook another minute or so. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat till boiling stirring constantly.

Put the pork shoulder in the crockpot and pour the sauce over it. Cover and cook on low 12 hours or on high 6 hours, until pork is basically falling apart. (Longer never hurts.) Shred the meat with a pair of forks and return to the pot and keep warm in the sauce. Serve over buns.

This recipe is one of my favorites. It makes a lot of pork. I tend to make it when my family is visiting or I need to feed a crew of people with minimal fuss.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Pork-kebabs, marinated in some wine, balsamic, fresh herbs (mint, thyme, and crushed parsley stems) dry oregano and onions.
+
Short ribs, dry aged (as best I could), then S&Ped 24 hours before cooking.

Done with a small piece of cherry wood on the coals.
DSC02955.jpg

The short ribs sort of have a "Flinstones" look to them...

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Wow, between the "felt hat day" thread and this last salute to B-B-Q I know fall is upon us. Personally I like only pork barbeque (with the exception of Texas style beef brisket and Mexican style goat) especially dry rub ribs!!:essen:

The best shoulders meat I ever had was sold out of a little shed way, way out in the country off a dirt road by a fabulous guy named Booker. His shed was truly in the middle of a field but cars would line up for half a mile on Sunday after church to get some of his B-B-Q. I don't what he did to it to make it so fine but man it was splendiferous.

This thread has not only made me VERY hungry but also brought back some nice memories. Thanks guys!

I marinate my steaks for a week before a planned event. They are usually a pretty big hit. :D
I use an old Big Boy Marinade recipe with salad oil, garlic, soy, red wine(they say vinegar---I say wine), lemon juice, hickory smoke, dry mustard and a few other ingredients that I can't remember. [huh] :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn