Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Bump

We are rapidly approaching barbeque season. Some of us have started already. Loungers, share your bbq delights and tips for 2010.

Adolescent Hood found a marinade for steak using blue cheese, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, dijon mustard, and some garlic powder. Very nice-

BBQ Beef Ribs

I had seen an episode of Americas Test Kitchen on PBS and they did a section on Beef Ribs Texas Style. I modified it a tad but here is the set up.

One: use a dry rub on the ribs BUT do not let them sit for more than 1 hour before being cooked. ATK found that longer times made for funky flavors!
I use Montreal Steak Seasioning with a pick of this and that.

Two: They suggested well seasoned hard wood OAK in big pieces for the fire. They said use mainly old fence posts that were pulled for replacement. I use Kingsford mesquite mixed coals and smoking chips or what is handy. Tip if you use a lot of smoking chips one of the BBQ guys said soak them ahead and keep them in usable amounts in the freezer in zip lock bags so you don't have to wait.

Three: use rib racks and indirect heat. I move them around to cook evenly once or twice during the cooking and pull them off between 45 minutes and an hour depending on how hot the fire is in the 'Q.

Four: Never put BBQ sauce on the beef ribs when cooking, this will reduce the roast flavor and steam the meat, plus the sugar tends to burn.
Instead, Take your flavorite BBQ Sauce add a little orange juice to make it a little more liquidy and simmer on the stove of a while, you can reduce it slowly if it's too liquidy. Serve warm with the ribs to use as a dipping sauce.

Play with the rub and the sauce to your hearts content and you'll have fun. I have friends that really enjoy this BBQ event and Max the Wonderdog likes to get a bone or two afterwards.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The other night, bbq'd pork loins seasoned only with lemon pepper. Exquisite. Then other night sirloin with salt and pepper only.
And from time to time, chicken marinated in Newman's Italian dressing. Grilled on flame for two minutes to a side, then indirect heat for four minutes to a side or until cooked to taste.

Mav

A-List Customer
Did baby back ribs Sunday afternoon. Messed around with a lot of rubs over the years, and finally settled on just OO, salt & pepper. Smoked with a combo of mesquite and hickory (both are a little powerful for baby backs, but it's all I had) at 225- 250F for about 4 1/2 hours. Homemade sauce for dipping- I never sauce BBQ.

Mav

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Father's Day was grilling with my "world famous" marinated steaks. I usually let them marinate for a week but I just decided to do it with short notice so.... Still good but it tastes better when I let it sit for a week. ;)
Howzabout a marinade recipe, ya big holdout.
I usually end up falling back on a "cowboy steak" rub, and I need a different trick.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
OK fellas, I need some advice. I have a small brisket, 3lb, and I want to barbecue it. I am not too keen on sweet basting sauces, I like to taste my meat! I was thinking a 24 hour brine, then about a 3 hour slow cook with some smoke. Does that seem right?

Puzzicato said:
OK fellas, I need some advice. I have a small brisket, 3lb, and I want to barbecue it. I am not too keen on sweet basting sauces, I like to taste my meat! I was thinking a 24 hour brine, then about a 3 hour slow cook with some smoke. Does that seem right?

What you might try is to dry the meat
and put a DRY RUB on it over night.
Shortly before putting it on for indirect heat
brush it with olive oil
and cook as you normally would.

You will get flavoring from the dry rub
a good roasted flavor
some smoke
and a roast crust from the oil.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
A couple of days ago, we bbq'd burgers, along with zucchinis sliced length-wise then covered with a heavy drizzle of oil, then salted and peppered. Grill quickly, just a minute or two on each each side. Also, several colors of bell peppers, stems removed and sliced, oiled, quickly grilled. The heat brings out a sweetness that is incomparable.

Cannot find store bought french fries that stay crisp when prepared at home.

Belle Fatale

New in Town
Nathan Flowers said:
scdiningphotobbqmapja9.jpg

I realize you posted this more'n a minute ago, but I have to take exception to the sharp delineation of sauce territories in this map. I am an Upstate girl born and bred, but I grew up eating mustard barbecue like a civilized person. ;) Don't really care for the tomato or ketchup kinds, myself.

Chainsaw

Suspended
I had a friend that sweared by simmering racks of ribs in Pepsi, before B-B-Q ing. Myself, for ribs I like to marinade them in beer overnight. Too delicious.

My mum used to do ribs on the stove top that were fantastic. Melt about a pound of butter in a pot, chop all the ribs into individual pieces. Simmer the ribs in the butter until cooked. Then add your favorite B-B-Q sauce, and reduce until coated.

You guys try any of those Korean short ribs? There was a short craze for those things. They were fantastic when done on the B-B-Q just dip the short ribs in the sauce "Presidents choice Memories of Korea" (Korean sauces are simple, soy sauce, fresh chopped garlic, and corn syrup will do. Throw in some Keenan's mustard powder if you like) burn on both sides raw in the middle. nice

Chainsaw

Suspended
Wally_Hood said:
Cannot find store bought french fries that stay crisp when prepared at home.

Hey Wally Hood, I think the secret is just in the method. Buy a deep fryer when they go on sale. And use just regular vegatable oil. Even no-name ( thin cut) brand french frys taste good when cooked properly.

Puzzicato said:
John, your advice was excellent! That brisket was absolutely delicious!

Cool beans! The problem most people have with sauces on the meat while cooking is it tends to steam the meat and not give a good roasted flavor. Some BBQ sauces have a sugar component that burns too which comes off as bitter. I like to dry rub, roast or smoke and make a some type of hot dipping BBQ sauce to serve only at the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot