Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

For the series Oddities Made Hat: a Barbisio in sculpted felt
Verde rilievo Barbisio A.jpg

This strange felt hat and its trimming has a love story to tell. I was fascinated by its peculiarity and the seller told me her story
Verde rilievo Barbisio 9a.jpg
It belonged to the grandfather of the person who sold it to me and had been given to him by his father when he came to northern Italy to work. Ours, then a boy, came from Naples and the Barbisio served to cover him from the rain and mists
Verde rilievo Barbisio 6.jpg
He was forgotten on the train at the Naples station and a girl picked it up and brought him back to the young man. After some time they got married
Verde rilievo Barbisio interno.jpg
This is the story told to me of this Barbisio Classic size 59 cm. or 7/8 US
Verde rilievo Barbisio etichetta carta.jpg
The felt color is " Muschio - Moss" the finish is "Talpa Impermeabile - Waterproof Taupe"
Verde rilievo Barbisio 3a.jpg
These are the measurements: the brim is 4.8 cm, the fancy ribbon is 4 cm and the fully open crown is 14 cm.
Verde rilievo Barbisio 1a.jpg
This is one of the hats that certainly has its own character, then each of us will decide whether it's beautiful or weird.

"Groovy" is the first thing that comes to mind!:D

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In this period I bought a series of hats for various reasons, this and others for their beauty, knowing full well I would never have worn them, but perhaps I would have made some loungers happy, others because they were in interesting lots and some because they were my size
BarBlu 2.jpg

Barbisio unlined without any manufacturing label, size 57-58 centimeters or 7 1/8 - 7 1/4.
BarBlu 5.jpg
The sweatband is in satin and the felt is another splendid blue from Barbisio
BarBlu interno.jpg

I was lucky this fall I found two in my size in different blue and felts and this one which is different in felt finish and ribbon
BarBlu 6.jpg
The measures of this beauty: the brims are 6cm finished with a double stitched edge, the felt ribbon is 1.5cm and the open crown is 14cm.
BarBlu 8.jpg
I honestly wish it was my size, it isn't, so I hope it finds a new home
BarBlu 3.jpg

I have one very similar in a more wide size, I have to find it to compare :)

In this period I bought a series of hats for various reasons, this and others for their beauty, knowing full well I would never have worn them, but perhaps I would have made some loungers happy, others because they were in interesting lots and some because they were my size
BarBlu 2.jpg

Barbisio unlined without any manufacturing label, size 57-58 centimeters or 7 1/8 - 7 1/4.
BarBlu 5.jpg
The sweatband is in satin and the felt is another splendid blue from Barbisio
BarBlu interno.jpg

I was lucky this fall I found two in my size in different blue and felts and this one which is different in felt finish and ribbon
BarBlu 6.jpg
The measures of this beauty: the brims are 6cm finished with a double stitched edge, the felt ribbon is 1.5cm and the open crown is 14cm.
BarBlu 8.jpg
I honestly wish it was my size, it isn't, so I hope it finds a new home
BarBlu 3.jpg

I have one very similar in a more wide size, I have to find it to compare :)
That's one exciting hat. Fabulous blue colour and a great shape. Superb.

PanosChris

Practically Family
Barbisio Classic homburg in a grey colour called Egeo. Size 57, with the bound brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Lovely hand to the felt and really nice finishing to the hat.

barbisio egeo homburg_01.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_02.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_03.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_04.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_05.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_06.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_07.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_09.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_10.jpg

barbisio egeo homburg_12.jpg
Love everything about this lobbia! Shape, form, color, brim curl, ribbon width, super!!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In recent arrivals, very few compared to other periods, I have focused on the last fires of Italian hat making before its almost total disappearance
Barbisio Marron 1.jpg

Today we consider a Barbisio, certainly made by Cappellificio Cervo with a tacky pin to diminish its sharp line.
Barbisio Marron 6.jpg
The hat has a medium textured brown felt and the ribbon is low and the proportions of the hat are "generous" for a product put on the market in fairly recent years.
Barbisio Marron 3.jpg
Lined, it has a fabric sweatband and is very easy to wear, the size is 59 centimeters or 7 3/8 in US.
Barbisio Marron Interno.jpg
These are the measurements, the raw brims are 6 cm, the ribbon is 1.5 cm, unusual for a hat made in Italy, and the crown fully open is 13cm.
Barbisio Marron 9.jpg

I found a source for these late hats from the Italian production, I hope it continues to generate interesting hats

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
In recent arrivals, very few compared to other periods, I have focused on the last fires of Italian hat making before its almost total disappearance
Barbisio Marron 1.jpg

Today we consider a Barbisio, certainly made by Cappellificio Cervo with a tacky pin to diminish its sharp line.
Barbisio Marron 6.jpg
The hat has a medium textured brown felt and the ribbon is low and the proportions of the hat are "generous" for a product put on the market in fairly recent years.
Barbisio Marron 3.jpg
Lined, it has a fabric sweatband and is very easy to wear, the size is 59 centimeters or 7 3/8 in US.
Barbisio Marron Interno.jpg
These are the measurements, the raw brims are 6 cm, the ribbon is 1.5 cm, unusual for a hat made in Italy, and the crown fully open is 13cm.
Barbisio Marron 9.jpg

I found a source for these late hats from the Italian production, I hope it continues to generate interesting hats
Realy like the colour!

It took a while to get hold of this one. Seller wouldn't budge on the price even though at didn't sell several times. Somewhere along the way it got a hold on me though. Daniele @Daniele Tanto was the middle man for this one, as he often is. So, thank you, Daniele.
Barbisio Lontra Visone longhair finish hat in Sesia colour. Overwelt brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. So is it otter (lontra) with a mink (visone) finish or vice versa? Don't know, but whatever it is, the feel of the felt is incredible. Super soft hand and shapes without any effort. Only thing I can say about it really is that it seems to have shrunk a smidge over the years (or at least the sweatband has), so it shows a bit a gaptooth there. Nobody's perfect. It's a superb bit of hat history and skill. And it has the Barbisio shark gill bow. Nobody does them better.

barbisio lontra visone_01.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_02.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_03.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_04.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_06.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_07.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_08.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_09.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_10.jpg
barbisio lontra visone_11.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
First I want to thank Stefan who initiated this exchange.
Yes, it's true, I acted as a broker for the Barbisio Lontra, the seller was tenacious and well informed about what he had for sale, but the exchanges between the Veneto and Flanders have been going on successfully for years.
This time I hadin exchange two high quality hats which I will show you as soon as I can carefully photograph them. Honestly I have to admit that the Barbisio Lontra traded is difficult to find on the Italian market, but the constant search for four eyes gives good results :)

A tribute to Dottor Fernando Brusasca, man of impeccable taste, who left us (me) with these lovely hats. It started off with the one posted above, but there were more. Sized 59 and 60 people here please pay attention as I won't be keeping these.
Barbisio Classic in black. Size 59 (from the measurements) with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. This one would work as a brim up hat as well, but for now it's a fedora. Barbisio is about as good as they come and they could give Borsalino (or anyone else) a run for their money. This is certainly made in their heyday. Oozes quality, but the Doctor must have loved this one, because it has been worn, (which is why it comes in number 5 of the lot).

barbisio classic dottor_01.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_02.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_03.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_04.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_05.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_06.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_07.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_08.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_09.jpg

barbisio classic dottor_10.jpg

Stra Barbisio extra lusso homburg in grey. Size 60 with the generous brim at 6,5cm and the crown 12 or 13cm high. I left it open crown because it could well work as an open crown hat as well. Didn't want to spoil it. Everything about this one is Italian hatmaking at its best. Weighs 138 grams.

barbisio60 grey_01.jpg

barbisio60 grey_02.jpg

barbisio60 grey_03.jpg

barbisio60 grey_04.jpg

barbisio60 grey_05.jpg

barbisio60 grey_06.jpg

barbisio60 grey_07.jpg

barbisio60 grey_08.jpg

barbisio60 grey_09.jpg

barbisio60 grey_10.jpg

What can be better than that? No matter how fine these hats are, I think this one is nices still (and it is royalty after all).
Barbisio Rex lords hat in black. Size 60 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. Fairly sure this is a beaver felt, even though it doesn't say so on the hat. The hand and the way it shapes and the smell of it when steaming all says beaver to me. It does have a cord and curiously enough it has a double liner. You can feel there's another liner underneath the top one and you can see the different material in the shot of the label. Must have been done on purpose and the label is on top of both, so not done as a replacement. Style, material, finishing; it's all top notch. Love it.

barbisio rex_01.jpg

barbisio rex_02.jpg

barbisio rex_03.jpg

barbisio rex_04.jpg

barbisio rex_06.jpg

barbisio rex_07.jpg

barbisio rex_08.jpg

barbisio rex_09.jpg

barbisio rex_10.jpg

barbisio rex_12.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
What can be better than that? No matter how fine these hats are, I think this one is nices still (and it is royalty after all).
Barbisio Rex lords hat in black. Size 60 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. Fairly sure this is a beaver felt, even though it doesn't say so on the hat. The hand and the way it shapes and the smell of it when steaming all says beaver to me. It does have a cord and curiously enough it has a double liner. You can feel there's another liner underneath the top one and you can see the different material in the shot of the label. Must have been done on purpose and the label is on top of both, so not done as a replacement. Style, material, finishing; it's all top notch. Love it.

barbisio rex_01.jpg

barbisio rex_02.jpg

barbisio rex_03.jpg

barbisio rex_04.jpg

barbisio rex_06.jpg

barbisio rex_07.jpg

barbisio rex_08.jpg

barbisio rex_09.jpg

barbisio rex_10.jpg

barbisio rex_12.jpg
All are lovely Stefan but this Rex is outstanding.
The ribbon treatment is so unique but the felt has a sheen reminiscent of melusine.
What a lovely hat!
Bowen

Advertised as a size 54 to 55, but I had to try.
Barbisio Lontra in (wait for it...!) dark green!
Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 4,8 and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Stingy as it is, it doesn't feel at all like a tiny hat, because of the nice full crown. The hat was in a dreadful state (as advertised) but it seems you can't keep an almost hundred year old lontra felt down. The liner wasn't original, so I replced it with something a bit more fitting (although not Barbisio). The pictures were taken halfway through (had to do some spot cleaning around the brim break with some naphtha.

barbisio lontra green_01.jpg

barbisio lontra green_02.jpg

barbisio lontra green_03.jpg

barbisio lontra green_04.jpg

barbisio lontra green_05.jpg

barbisio lontra green_06.jpg

barbisio lontra green_07.jpg

barbisio lontra green_08.jpg

barbisio lontra green_09.jpg

barbisio lontra green_10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads