Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

Part II. This what it looked like in the ad.

lont1.jpeg
lont2.jpeg
lont3.jpeg

The liner it came with.
barbisio lontra green_12.jpg

To prove it's not black I put it next to a bowler hat.

BP2B2264a_resize.jpg

I could call this Barbisio Incognito, because that's basically what it is. It doesn't say Barbisio anywhere on the hat, but they are definitely the maker. Same size label and tag and same label underneath the sweatband even without their name on it.
So. Barbisio fedora in grey (Cervo on the label). Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Wonderful hand to the felt, shapes with ease and holds it without problem. Weighs 94 grams.

barbisio qs_01.jpg

barbisio qs_02.jpg

barbisio qs_03.jpg

barbisio qs_04.jpg

barbisio qs_05.jpg

barbisio qs_06.jpg

barbisio qs_07.jpg

barbisio qs_08.jpg

barbisio qs_09.jpg

barbisio qs_10.jpg

I could call this Barbisio Incognito, because that's basically what it is. It doesn't say Barbisio anywhere on the hat, but they are definitely the maker. Same size label and tag and same label underneath the sweatband even without their name on it.
So. Barbisio fedora in grey (Cervo on the label). Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Wonderful hand to the felt, shapes with ease and holds it without problem. Weighs 94 grams.

barbisio qs_01.jpg

barbisio qs_02.jpg

barbisio qs_03.jpg

barbisio qs_04.jpg

barbisio qs_05.jpg

barbisio qs_06.jpg

barbisio qs_07.jpg

barbisio qs_08.jpg

barbisio qs_09.jpg

barbisio qs_10.jpg
The more I look at this one the more I like it. Great lines… and you can just see the felt quality

Continued from both Borsalino threads I had to look up the Barbisio part and it is even more special. It's going to take up quite a few posts to get it all on here. I happened to stumble upon the Italian State Archive (Archivio centrale della stato) and with some advanced squirreling you can find the archives of The Ministero D'Agricoltura, Industria e Commercio. The ministry was responsible for the trademarks and they have their archive digitalized. So, I dug up the trademarks for Barbisio for the years 1909, 1914, 1930, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1954. The way these are presented varies, but usually it consists of the image and on a separate page a description or notes. Since this determines which trademarks were introduced at what date, it will help us with dating hats. Unless there is something special to note, I'll just post the images.

We've never seen this one.

t9501-9600_0099.jpg
tVol_91-92-93_0096.jpg

hhh133-134_0115.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Continued from both Borsalino threads I had to look up the Barbisio part and it is even more special. It's going to take up quite a few posts to get it all on here. I happened to stumble upon the Italian State Archive (Archivio centrale della stato) and with some advanced squirreling you can find the archives of The Ministero D'Agricoltura, Industria e Commercio. The ministry was responsible for the trademarks and they have their archive digitalized. So, I dug up the trademarks for Barbisio for the years 1909, 1914, 1930, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1954. The way these are presented varies, but usually it consists of the image and on a separate page a description or notes. Since this determines which trademarks were introduced at what date, it will help us with dating hats. Unless there is something special to note, I'll just post the images.
Some thoughts on your commendable work as a librarian with a penchant for Italian hat brands :)
I saw the first Barbisio brand a few years ago on a hat that was in particularly bad shape, then the brand disappeared from the Barbisio hats found on the second-hand market, at least here in Italy.
Some of the brands registered in the 1930s seem intended for limited production and I have honestly never come across them.
I have two or three REXs and saw a DVX a while ago, too small for my head. Next time I will buy it to complement the brands. I also have one or two "Minerva", a more recent brand and little seen so far.
Well done Sefan who deserves compliments for this and more within a short distance of your name day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner