Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

Steve, the "Ruvido" is really a strange mixture with wool that gives that bizarre heather effect and the color is incredible.
The overall finish is really excellent, but I think it was somehow used by Italian athletes or by staff assigned to the Olympics. I believe you will see it because its market I think is zero :)
The "Super Velvet" instead has already been optioned and sold, the velour is interesting, but only your eyes and hand could evaluate its quality. I used what you taught me to bring him back to good health after years of neglect, however I think it can be done better. He will go to Norway to a fellow loungers who just bought it.
The "semiruvido" (Classic Barbisio) is what fascinates me most because it has the same dimensions and seams on the brims as the Cervo-Tenisci that went in the Stefan collection. The felt is very "old style" and I like the color
They are difficult to find, without a curled trim on the brims, with visible seams
Daniele, The "Semiruvido" (Classic Barbisio) is a beauty! It's timeless.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, The "Semiruvido" (Classic Barbisio) is a beauty! It's timeless.
Steve thank you because your praise for Barbisio is important.
Seeing a Barbisio model and felt from the 1930s made in the 1950s without changing anything is fantastic.
There would be many considerations to make, but we will find the time, meanwhile it will go with his brothers to make happy a loungers who appreciated them

ptjoe

Familiar Face
Does anyone know if the Barbisio hats tend to run small?
I'm interested in buying one, but need to know what size to order for a correct fit.
I usually wear a size 57cm. 71/8 in Stetsons, head measurement is 22.5".
With my Borsalinos I wear a size 58cm. or 71/4 and the fit is very good.
Do I need to order a 58cm. with the Barbisio hats also?
Thanks for your response.

Does anyone know if the Barbisio hats tend to run small?
I'm interested in buying one, but need to know what size to order for a correct fit.
I usually wear a size 57cm. 71/8 in Stetsons, head measurement is 22.5".
With my Borsalinos I wear a size 58cm. or 71/4 and the fit is very good.
Do I need to order a 58cm. with the Barbisio hats also?
Thanks for your response.
I'd say they run true to size, unlike with Borsalino. I usually need a larger size with Borsalino; not so with Barbisio. Exceptions are possible of course, but they seem to get it right most of the time.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I would imagine that my recent Puerto Fino refurb project is a Barbisio (?) At least that's what the manufacturer's label on the inside says...

After the refurb
Puerto-Fino-Black-3-A.jpg

Puerto-Fino-11-A.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A supply of hats, inventory is coming here these days. After being put in steam with the steam and properly combed, two "soft felts" enter the new hats in my collection.
This is the first
Barbisio 5.jpg

Super Barbisio Extra Lusso made especially for Radiconcini - Rome
Barbisio 4.jpg

The size is a 56 cm, 4 1/2 US.
Barbisio 2.jpg

The felt is soft, indeed very soft and just a puff of wind to change its shape
Barbisio 1.jpg

The color of the felt is "Argento" and the consistency is very soft. The hat is new and never worn.
Barbisio interno totale.jpg

Barbisio interno Particolare.jpg
These are the measures of this Italian classic: raw brims at 5.5 centimeters, the open crown is 13 centimeters and the black ribbon is 2 centimeters.
Barbisio 3.jpg

A light hat and very suitable for this season in the Nordic countries, here is summer :)

A supply of hats, inventory is coming here these days. After being put in steam with the steam and properly combed, two "soft felts" enter the new hats in my collection.
This is the first
View attachment 239046
Super Barbisio Extra Lusso made especially for Radiconcini - Rome
View attachment 239047
The size is a 56 cm, 4 1/2 US.
View attachment 239048
The felt is soft, indeed very soft and just a puff of wind to change its shape
View attachment 239049
The color of the felt is "Argento" and the consistency is very soft. The hat is new and never worn.
View attachment 239050
View attachment 239051
These are the measures of this Italian classic: raw brims at 5.5 centimeters, the open crown is 13 centimeters and the black ribbon is 2 centimeters.
View attachment 239052
A light hat and very suitable for this season in the Nordic countries, here is summer :)
Daniele, Great find! I really like the color!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, Great find! I really like the color!
Thanks Steve. It arrived with another a little bit wide, both with interesting colors, bur very soft and tender felt
May I say I have no words to comment your parade of wonderful hats showed in the last weeks?
E' così. Senza parole (Speechless). The Italian meaning is I'm very astonished in a positive way:)

Thanks Steve. It arrived with another a little bit wide, both with interesting colors, bur very soft and tender felt
May I say I have no words to comment your parade of wonderful hats showed in the last weeks?
E' così. Senza parole (Speechless). The Italian meaning is I'm very astonished in a positive way:)
Daniele, It was great to see your splendid Hats emerge after the long shutdown.

Thanks! I ran out of steam with the last series. :)

Barbisio Rat Gondin in size 59 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at an impressive 12cm at the center dent. This one was likely to be worn brim up, but works just as well brim down. The proportion, shape, frayed bow and windcord without button point towards an earlier one. Using the name Rat Gondin also suggests that. The liner material is different from the usual silk and seems more fragile and there is a small tear in the liner. I'm thinking it was made around the WWII years.
Sold by P. Venzano & C., Genova-Sestri.

barbisio-rat-gondin_01-jpg.284427
barbisio-rat-gondin_02-jpg.284428
barbisio-rat-gondin_03-jpg.284429
barbisio-rat-gondin_04-jpg.284430
barbisio-rat-gondin_05-jpg.284431
barbisio-rat-gondin_07-jpg.284432
barbisio-rat-gondin_09-jpg.284433
barbisio-rat-gondin_10-jpg.284434
barbisio-rat-gondin_11-jpg.284435
barbisio-rat-gondin_12-jpg.284436

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
barbisio-classic-8-jpg.289913

Barbisio Classic, size 59 or 7 3/8 US
barbisio-classic-7-jpg.289914

The felt is the color "Soana" a valley that lies north of Biella and at the foot of the Gran Paradiso, near the ancient factory, now a residence, of the Barbisio in Sagliano Micca.
barbisio-classic-5-jpg.289915

The hat has been used for years as a display in a Biella clothing store. It has reached the present day in splendid condition and perfectly preserved.
barbisio-classic-1-jpg.289916

The felt is of medium consistency and an indefinable green color, the strip that adorns it is very accurate, made of felt and a thread stopped at the end by small spheres, intertwined with each other. An unimaginable workmanship on a hat today.

The measurements are as follows: the brim at 6 cm., The crown at 11 cm. and the tape is about one and a half centimeters.
barbisio-classic-4-jpg.289918

A new arrival in the Barbisio family which is part of my collection

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Umbria Barbisio 7.jpg

Barbisio Titan, size 59 or 7 3/8 US
Umbria Barbisio 9.jpg

The felt is the color "Umbria" region of Central Italy, this is one of the most beautiful colors among those that Barbisio has put into production over the years. It comes from the historic factory in Sagliano Micca.
Umbria Barbisio 3.jpg

Like his brother it has been used for years as a display in a Biella clothing store. It has a single small defect: the yellow cellulose protective cap has shattered, it is in excellent condition.
Umbria Barbisio interno.jpg
The felt is of medium texture, slightly thicker than its sibling in green. The hat has a classic Italian shape between the fifties and sixties with a simple and elegant line, at Barbisio they have been masters in simplifying the designs and making them fantastic in production with very accurate workmanship and finishes.
Umbria Barbisio 6.jpg

The measures are the following: the raw ones are at 6.5 cm., the crown at 11 cm. and the ribbon is about three centimeters.
Umbria Barbisio 9.jpg
I have had other hats in this color that have gone all over the world, this is the first in my size, fits perfectly, which remains in the collection :)

View attachment 289921
View attachment 289922
The felt is the color "Umbria" region of Central Italy, this is one of the most beautiful colors among those that Barbisio has put into production over the years. It comes from the historic factory in Sagliano Micca.
View attachment 289923
Like his brother it has been used for years as a display in a Biella clothing store. It has a single small defect: the yellow cellulose protective cap has shattered, it is in excellent condition.
View attachment 289924
The felt is of medium texture, slightly thicker than its sibling in green. The hat has a classic Italian shape between the fifties and sixties with a simple and elegant line, at Barbisio they have been masters in simplifying the designs and making them fantastic in production with very accurate workmanship and finishes.
View attachment 289925
The measures are the following: the raw ones are at 6.5 cm., the crown at 11 cm. and the ribbon is about three centimeters.
View attachment 289926 I have had other hats in this color that have gone all over the world, this is the first in my size, fits perfectly, which remains in the collection :)
Wonderful Daniele

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 289921
View attachment 289922
View attachment 289923
View attachment 289924
View attachment 289925
View attachment 289926 I have had other hats in this color that have gone all over the world, this is the first in my size, fits perfectly, which remains in the collection :)

Two wonderful additions, Daniele. That Umbria Titan is beautiful.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful Daniele

That Titan is stunning.

Two wonderful additions, Daniele. That Umbria Titan is beautiful.

Nice Barbisio's

I thank you for your words that go directly to the hatters of the Barbisio factory who have challenged for years, on quality, a colossus like Borsalino and other fierce Italian competitors.
A sad consideration is that that magnificent world of hatters is almost entirely gone. However, do not despair, the know-how has remained in some happy Italian island.

View attachment 289921
View attachment 289922
View attachment 289923
View attachment 289924
View attachment 289925
Two fantastic finds, Daniele. I'm a fan of the brand and the workmanship and variation of their hats is outstanding. The colour of that Titan is superb!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Often the hats not in my size that I buy are the ones I want, this one in particular
lbarbisio-1-jpg.291225

Barbisio Classic size 5 or 57 centimeters, 7 in the United States. The internal measurements are 19.5x16 centimeters
lbarbisio-2-jpg.291226

It is one of the most elegant hats I have found recently and among the first in my ranking.
lbarbisio-3-jpg.291227
Its shapes are unusual for the period, 1950s, in which it was made.
lbarbisio-4-jpg.291228

It has the crown very similar to a lobbia (Homburg) but the brims are not so curled and without the ribbon seal, they are instead finished with great quality, in the Barbisio tradition, by three seams, overwelted
lbarbisio-6-jpg.291232

Felt is malleable and very nice to the touch. The ribbon has the bow exactly on the back. Classic interior
lbarbisio-interno-jpg.291234

These are the measures of a special hat: the brims are 6 cm. the black ribbon at 4.5 cm. and the horns at its lowest point is at 10.5cm.
lbarbisio-5-jpg.291233

It is the first Barbisio that I find with these characteristics, but it is far from fitting my head

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashone