Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARRISTER Fedora

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know anything about this hat maker? Or any ideas of age of this one? Here's a couple of pix from when it was listed on EB, as well as a link to some more shots.

Kind of falls into the beater-ish category but after a little steam and bash work, plus some attention to moth divets, I really love its look. Very similar in weight, styling and proportions to an old Champ I have. Also, like the Champ, this has an unreeded sweatband.

Just curious since I haven't seen "Barrister" come up before.

70e1_1_sbl.jpg

6e97_1_sbl.jpg

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/Barrister Hat/

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Actually, I posted a gray Barrister hat once, and it was the first I had ever heard of that brand as well. Your's looks pretty beat though, which seems to indicates that it's an older brand, but mine was in perfect condition. The logo on the liner is identical too and they seem for the most part to be of the same model.

Although I didn't like the ribbon, so I changed it to a 1.5" black one.

Original:
barristeroriginal.jpg

Now:
barrister.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Marcus! Yours is a beauty - good job.
I still wonder what the story is on this manufacturer. I suspect that some hat companies came and went early on, like the auto companies that wound up whittling down to "the big three." If I learn when Barrister came and went it would narrow the guesses about the hat's age. And just be generally interesting.
Anyone else with ideas?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Neat find!

Barrister was a brand of the LaSalle Hat Company. The brand dates to 1935, but your hat looks later '40s to me. LaSalle was the Saleskys' (Champ Hats) company, started in 1911.

Brad

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
Neat find!

Barrister was a brand of the LaSalle Hat Company. The brand dates to 1935, but your hat looks later '40s to me. LaSalle was the Saleskys' (Champ Hats) company, started in 1911.

Brad

Anything else you guys know about Barrista? When did they stop making hats?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Very, very nice, Alan. The width of the ribbon really locks in the proportions on that hat. Beautiful.

Cheers,
JtL

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Reviving a 10-year-old thread! I just came into possession of a nearly identical hat as above: a Barrister "Goal" in "Nickel." In my relatively limited experience, it seems like a nice hat to me. The color is interesting--changing quite a lot depending on the light.

Based on the seller's measurements, I was hoping it would be a 7 1/4. It is actually a 7 1/8--I found the size tag under the sweatband when I got it. She had a picture of the model info tag which is also under the band, but I guess she didn't see the size. Nevertheless, it isn't uncomfortably small. I'm also due for a haircut, which might help as well. What do you all think--does it look ok, size-wise? It is a color that I think will be useful, so I think I'm leaning towards keeping it, but haven't decided yet.

Pics:

DPP00004005.JPG

DPP00004006.JPG
DPP00004007.JPG
DPP00004009.JPG

Reviving a 10-year-old thread! I just came into possession of a nearly identical hat as above: a Barrister "Goal" in "Nickel." In my relatively limited experience, it seems like a nice hat to me. The color is interesting--changing quite a lot depending on the light.

Based on the seller's measurements, I was hoping it would be a 7 1/4. It is actually a 7 1/8--I found the size tag under the sweatband when I got it. She had a picture of the model info tag which is also under the band, but I guess she didn't see the size. Nevertheless, it isn't uncomfortably small. I'm also due for a haircut, which might help as well. What do you all think--does it look ok, size-wise? It is a color that I think will be useful, so I think I'm leaning towards keeping it, but haven't decided yet.

Pics:

View attachment 452698
View attachment 452699 View attachment 452700 View attachment 452701

Looks great and the condition is fantastic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto