Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Open Road Size 7 - SOLD -

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I have three Open Roads and several 'clones' so this'n gets sold.

This is not one of the oldest ORs but possessed of the classic lines and proportions. This one may hail from the '70s or '80s and has the JBS pin I associate with that era.

Size: Originally tagged "7 Long Oval" but that tag has gone missing.
Inner circumference: 21-1/2" with some give. (Fits my 22" head fine)
Condition: Good.
Color: Silverbelly

$40 shipped in U.S. without the hat box. If you would like the hat box I will gladly get it from the attic - it just may require a couple extra dollars to ship the oversized carton. PM me if interested and specify.

I figure I'll offer it here first. If it goes unwanted for a week, I'll move it over to Ebay then.

{More pix at bottom link}

DSC_0053.jpg

stets-1.jpg

stets-7.jpg

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/SELLERS/Stetson 3X Open Road with JBS Pin/

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
Hey Gene, how easily would that cattleman's crease steam out, do you think? [huh]

If I were to change the crown, I'd wet it pretty well on the outside with a spray thingy, then reshape it. I would expect it to work fine.

BUT, the problem with these is that even when you successfully reshape the crown there is often a visible coloration/slight soiling where the top of the original ridges were.

This hat isn't 'dirty', mind you, but I consider a thorough cleaning to be part of the process of reshaping a used Open Road.

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Ditto what Rob said...

If only your Mom had taken a few more vitamin supplements, got more rest, had more extensive pre-natal consulting....maybe you'd have been born with a 7 1/4LO or 7 3/8 melon. Rob and I are just outta luck, no matter how badly we want to help you thin your herd there, Gene ol' buddy. :)

Cheers,
GC

Stan

A-List Customer
Reshaping Observations

Hi,

The problem with reshaping this style of hat is, as Gene points out, you wind up left with these sort-of 'racing stripes' down the center of the crown.

They're not so bad, and most folks aren't tall enough to see them when such a hat is on my head. It's just that they get to bothering me when I look at one hanging on the hook. :eusa_doh:

The issue appears, to me anyway, to be from the hairs in the felt opening up their 'weave' from the bending of the crease, and then they don't want to tighten back up - at least not right away.

I say that because I have two such style hats I changed into a diamond crease with front pinch over a year ago, and those 'racing stripes' are barely noticeable even in strong light now. When I originally re-creased them, the stripes were very noticeable...

That said, I also have two other such style hats where the stripes haven't changed one bit. Both of those were well worn hats that needed serious cleaning and other rework. I think that some dirt wound up embedded along the original creases and just plain didn't come out in the wash, so to speak.

I did try a little sanding, or 'pouncing' as it's also called, on the worst one, and the stripes went away. There's a problem here, too, though. Once I started sanding, the area lightened up a bit in color and I had to sand the whole danged hat to even things back up. In this case, the hat really benefitted from the work, but it certainly would not be something I'd recommend for just changing the crease style!

In the case of *this* hat, though, it looks pretty clean, so I'd expect that the stripes would fade out over time should it be re-creased.

Heck, I'd buy this myself as it's my favorite style and color and size but I already have *six* of these!

later!

Stan

Kangfish

Familiar Face
I have an Open Road 4X that had the cattlemans crease that had obviously been there for a long time. Probably since it was new. Not that it's all that old it has the kind of checkerd pattern in the liner and I don't know when Stetson was using that pattern. It had also sat somewhere for a long time and was dusty. I brushed it real good, pushed the crown out, then turned it upside down in what I call a spaggetti strainer, sat it the kitchen sink, filled it with water and let all the water run through it. Takes a while for it to go through but when it was empty I smoothed out the open crown, let it dry in open crown, brushed it again then wet it and shaped it into a teardrop bash and there wasn't any sign of the old crease and still isn't. That's been well over a year ago and I've even worn it in the rain and still no problem. Can't tell it was ever creased any other way. But.... it was stiff. I don't know if it being stiff had anything to do with it but that's how it worked for me. I'm certainly no expert but I wouldn't let the crease stop me from buying a hat. I've had some pretty rough looking hats that came right back to life with a little TLC that I did myself. - KF

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
simmonsgc said:
If only your Mom had taken a few more vitamin supplements, got more rest, had more extensive pre-natal consulting....maybe you'd have been born with a 7 1/4LO or 7 3/8 melon.

Yeah, she was a hard drinker. I was born with a cocktail onion in my mouth. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran