Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baseball... in another era

javadave61

Practically Family
Since it's Opening Day for baseball here in the U.S., I figured I'd offer a few photographs of another time when only players wore baseball caps. I bet many of us here would love to go back in time and see a baseball game and observe the incredible hats that would surround us. Feel free to post your a few baseball crowd shots that connect with you...

World Series 1925 - people outside the stadium listening to play-by-play.
world-series0041.jpg

Foul ball
tumblr_static_peoples.jpg

Amazing display of hats!
5863544964_50985d9b20_b.jpg

More crowds at the 1912 World Series
1912-Washington-Post-Scoreboard-Far.jpg

javadave61

Practically Family
oh, man; if only hat wearing would return to such a level of popularity....
I guess once the 60s saw the eradication of the daily use of the men's fedora, the only men left using hats on a regular basis were baseball players. Hence the void of millions of uncovered heads would come to be filled by the only wearable men's hat left: the baseball cap. Obviously, the men of that day didn't think of wearing a baseball cap to a baseball game no more than we'd think of wearing a football helmet to a football game. Interesting how that changed.

I especially enjoyed seeing the change from mostly bowlers and a lot of porkpies in the 1912 shot to almost all fedoras in the slightly later photos. All great picts, though, Dave. Thanks for the peek!

Those are great shots. Makes you want to know how many of those lids turned up on eBay!

Or how many are right now languishing in a closet somewhere...

emigran

Practically Family
I can hear that old song lilting in the background... "Where have all the flowers gone...Long time passing..."
Amazing photos,,, thankz

tommyK

One Too Many
Those are great shots. Makes you want to know how many of those lids turned up on eBay!

Or how many are right now languishing in a closet somewhere...

I'm afraid most of them are at the lower levels of landfill/garbage dumps. Simply tossed out when a new style was acquired or worn out.

I'm afraid most of them are at the lower levels of landfill/garbage dumps. Simply tossed out when a new style was acquired or worn out.

Yeah, but you didn't have to say it and rain on my parade. :eusa_doh:

Let me keep my fantasy that most of them are all out there looking for a head to sit upon, misfiled on eBay under Children't Literature or something. :lalala:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot