Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bates style action back Vs. Aero style shoulder gussets

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
If you are buying vintage you very well may get a jacket where the elastic on the action back has worn out. i had this problem on a G-1 I purchased and it was an easy repair for my tailor, as @Aloysius said.
It's actually such an easy fix that it can easily be done at home. All you need is a needle and thread. Here's the 'how to' :

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Logically, Aero's gusset must have less potential because the opening is smaller.
In the meantime, however, I am no longer a fan of gussets. I would order my Sheene today without a gusset. Visually, it is already very massive at the back.
With the 5* it is a little better.
But footballs on the armpits I like
View attachment 427620 View attachment 427621
Football underarms are a definite big win!!

Damon141

Practically Family
What would you say this measurement is?
Does anyone have an option if this jacket was flattened and pulled out with the arms up, what would you guess it would measure?
View attachment 428602

Anyone with experience with this back style and especially the underarm footballs I think they are called, does this just create extra mobility?
It almost looks like it extends slightly into the very most upper pit to pit.
B05D40DC-597E-4C02-854D-8A8EE032902A.jpeg

This photo of @99mex's J-106 is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier on in this thread, how this particular type of shoulder gussets that Aero is implementing is actually ineffective and disadvantageous.

Look what happened to them on a leather jacket that was actually used for riding...

eb463b69-3104-4061-8d6b-4925374a8c1a-jpeg.433083

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ