Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bathtub Nashes....

Slim Portly

One Too Many
JimInSoCalif said:
Was that the series where the front seats folded to make a bed?
Yup, that was them. A very nice set of wheels.

1950%2BNash%2BAmbassador.jpg

4308f2610eb12.jpg

And they had a variety of amazing hood ornaments.

652152422005nash_auto_in_the_1950s.jpg

spaceball.gif

7379_jpg.jpg

plain old dave

A-List Customer
This has potential as a thread.... The Hudson DOES have some of the bathtub vibe, but for me the full-skirt front fenders on the Nash set it off... Let's see some more pictures, folks!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I really like them too! Here's one of my favorites!! Love the color love the rag top! Can someone tell me what year this is, I forget?

nash.jpg

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Hudson Hornets were pretty successful in stock car racing after the factory came out with an 'export kit' that included stronger spindles among other heavy duty bits and pieces.

Cheers, Jim.

59Lark

Practically Family
nash ramble story

my nash ramble story was during high school, in auto shop a local kid got hold of his grandfathers rambler after he died and was getting checked over in auto class. The couple of things he was doing was changing the front seat to buckets, i went up him to him and the bench seat and said , you are stupid the only redeeming feature the make out seat and you take it out. He stood speechless , he hadnt known probably his eighty year old grandfather didnt use that feature in his car. I also thoght they were different but an oldtimer told me they were a pain changing tires. 59Lark.

Flivver

Practically Family
plain old dave said:
I'm wanting to say that's about a '50-52 Rambler... Remember the song Beep Beep?

Beep Beep, by the Playmates.

I stood up and sang that song in front of my second grade class in 1958. I practiced at home with the 45 rpm record so I could sing it faster and faster as the Rambler gained speed in the song.

The overturned bathtub school of automotive design was popular in the late 1940s but disappeared quickly in the early 1950s. It was employed mainly by the independant manufacturers like Packard, Hudson and Nash.

The "Big 3" pretty much stayed away from this look although the '49-'51 Mercurys and Lincolns are pretty much bathtub designs. It was the high fendered, slab sided designs like the '49-'51 Ford and then all the "52 Ford Motor Company products that really pointed the way to mid-'50s car design.

While the bathtub designs were initially very popular, the introduction of leaner designs from the "Big 3" soon made the bathtubs look very old.

But I've always been a fan of the '48-'50 Packards, the Step-Down Hudsons and the Nash Airflytes. After all, this is what postwar cars were *supposed* to look like...at least according to artist's renderings in popular magazines during WWII.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I love the Bathtubs!

There are picture of this car on pages 84 and 123 of Cars of the Fabulous '50s. Judging by the vent between the grill opening and the bumper, as well as by the hood ornament and the lettering on the front fender (the fact that it has either), it's a '52. Otherwise, '51s and '52s are pretty much identical.

MaryDeluxe said:
I really like them too! Here's one of my favorites!! Love the color love the rag top! Can someone tell me what year this is, I forget?

nash.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy