Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTER UP!

I don't know if we've chatted about this recently, but in addition to the pitch clock and larger bases making the game much better this year, so has the rule that outlawed shifting the infield all to one side. Other than the stupid runner on second base in extra innings, baseball is much better this year.

Yesterday marked 30 years since Robin Ventura became the only player to get six hits in a row off of Nolan Ryan.

dbd2de16-a714-4b81-8914-27788ce9b7f3-2022-05-14_Ryan_Ventura_fight.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Well, St Louis' Pitcher Miles Mikolas went Old School the other day when Ian Happ cut Wilson Contreras got hit and his head cut open on Happ's backswing. He deliberately drilled Happ in the rump 2 pitches later, he got ejected and suspended for 5 games. But I guarantee other batters will be more careful about hitting his teammates!

What continues to amaze me is that ESPN, on its homepage, places a regular season NFL game's progress above a MLB playoff game's progress. It's been this way all through MLB's playoffs. Maybe it just reflects fan interest. If so, it is what it is, but what a fall for what had once been America's pastime.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What continues to amaze me is that ESPN, on its homepage, places a regular season NFL game's progress above a MLB playoff game's progress. It's been this way all through MLB's playoffs. Maybe it just reflects fan interest. If so, it is what it is, but what a fall for what had once been America's pastime.
The Rugby World Cup, currently being held in France, draws many a comment from around the world. Rugby Football and Associated Football (soccer) have never really caught on in the US certainly not with the same passion as South American nations, it must be that Latin blood coursing through the veins.

Despite that there are more comments from the US than anywhere else, and so knowledgeable, they certainly know the game. It just surprises me.

Never again anyone heared from 2jakes??

He hasn't posted in a long time. My concern, as he noted he had health issues, is that he has either gotten sicker or worse. It would be great to see him return, greater still just to know he's okay, but from the incomplete picture we have - as he was an avid poster - the signs are not encouraging.

He hasn't posted in a long time. My concern, as he noted he had health issues, is that he has either gotten sicker or worse. It would be great to see him return, greater still just to know he's okay, but from the incomplete picture we have - as he was an avid poster - the signs are not encouraging.

My last personal contact to him was, when he already had SERIOUS medical stuff including surgery going on. Then it went silent, so I think that were his last days...

I promise not to post this grumble again this season, but the World Series starts tomorrow night and on ESPN's homepage, you have to scroll down to the sixth story - after an NFL story, two college football story, a pro basketball story and a story about gender bias at schools - to get to a World Series story.

I promise not to post this grumble again this season, but the World Series starts tomorrow night and on ESPN's homepage, you have to scroll down to the sixth story - after an NFL story, two college football story, a pro basketball story and a story about gender bias at schools - to get to a World Series story.
My Baseball complaint is that the BlueJays traded Moreno (threw in Gurriel as a salary dump) for Varsho. Now I think Varsho is a good ball player but he ain't no Moreno. High skill catchers that can hit are golden and the Jays traded him away for a good glove but a hitter with so many holes in his swing he likely will never top .250 with lots of K's. I am rooting for the D'Backs as I think they have the better uniforms.

At ESPN this morning:
Boss: [yelling] "Who put last night's World Series game at the top of our homepage this morning?"
Intern: [trembling] "Uh, um, I did."
Boss: "Did you not see the report about the amateur table-tennis match in east nowhere?"
Intern: [confused and trembling] "Umm, well, yes, I did, but I thought the World Series game was more important."
Boss: "You're not going to make it in this business, son."

Well, I think the better team won the Series. I think the discussion of who outmanaged who is basically crap. When I coached Rep travel ball I would remark to my team that I loved it when they played well as it made me look like a good manager.

I think the same applies to a major league manager. He orchestrates the moves but then the players have to execute. If they execute well he looks genius......conversely they play like crap and he looks like...."oh he made a poor decision". No he didn't, he made a decision.....it was the player that played like shite.

The Ranger's best players played like best players and the D'Backs best did not. End of story.

Well, I think the better team won the Series. I think the discussion of who outmanaged who is basically crap. When I coached Rep travel ball I would remark to my team that I loved it when they played well as it made me look like a good manager.

I think the same applies to a major league manager. He orchestrates the moves but then the players have to execute. If they execute well he looks genius......conversely they play like crap and he looks like...."oh he made a poor decision". No he didn't, he made a decision.....it was the player that played like shite.

The Ranger's best players played like best players and the D'Backs best did not. End of story.

Eovaldi pert near gave me about four heart attacks last night.. He narrowly escaped so many scrapes I half expected him to come out with a leather jacket, fedora, and whip.

Eovaldi pert near gave me about four heart attacks last night.. He narrowly escaped so many scrapes I half expected him to come out with a leather jacket, fedora, and whip.

Very rarely does a pitcher get out every hitter. But the good ones get the outs when they need them most. Eovaldi got the outs when he needed them.

Spring Training starts in about 3 months.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Well, the Cardinals have addressed the short term starting pitching they needed, now if we can add some bullpen arms without gutting the positions we might look like a contender again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner