Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batwing Sightings

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Please riddle me this, Batman - Exactly what is the root cause of "batwings" on G-1 jackets?

Some jackets will lie perfectly flat in the back area, and others will "poof out". Is this from being too small in size? Or is it from the cut / sewing, and manufacture of the jacket?

I'm certain someone here will have a good answer.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Lots of jackets do this, not just G1's. Indiana Jones jackets by Wested notoriously do this. The explanation I got from a leather tailor is that if the sleeves are sewn into the jacket at a particular angle it lifts the body of the jacket when you lift your arms. It tends to happen when patterns are put together hastily or if this is not checked for when the pattern is in development. I have had vintage jackets and some non leathers do this.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The body shape and stature/stance of the human wearing the jacket is a variable, too.

I have discovered the best remedy for this is to stand with near perfect posture, standing straight, with shoulders back and squared. If you slouch over, or get sloppy in your posture, the next thing is the Bat Wing phenom.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm with Doctor Damage on this.
Just speaking about my G-1s on my body (and it's shape, natch), I think it's about the relationship of the shoulder width to chest size.
All my 60's and 70's G-1s have narrower shoulders compared to my repro Aero and ELC. When I wear my 60's and 70's jackets, with my arms by my sides, the shoulders are squared up nicely and there's no batwing going on. My LW is also good in this regard.
When I do the same thing in my Aero and ELC, the shoulders are a little too wide, and this causes the panel at the back to 'billow out' a little.
My wife says they're 'Micheal Jackson' jackets. I don't care. What does she know about vintage flight jackets?
I think the Aero and the ELC do this because the patterns are from 40's/50's jackets, and cut for a much more 'triangular' body shape. I'm not fat (now!) but my body shape isn't representative of vintage guys, so to get a big enough chest, I have to live with wider shoulders.
Interestingly, the newest G-1 I own is an Excelled. It fits about a size bigger than my 60's and 70's jackets, and billows at the back a little too.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Here's a long, robust thread where mention of the batwing effect is present.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/to-bi-swing-back-or-not-to-bi-swing-back.70131/

There was no consensus, but some theories. It includes poor fit, odd construction, or lack of taughtness of the inner elastic bands some jackets have hidden behind the lining. There may even be a thread or two on this subject on the VLJ forum iirc.

I have actually gotten my bi-swing back caught on a clothes rack once in a store while walking. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy