Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beautiful peak lapel tweed sports coat, cheap!! 36 short

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
That's the first time I actually found something for me because of the Finds and Deals section. Thanks, Metatron! I'd have missed this one for sure.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
well, British suit jackets are hard to date, but this coat is almost certainly pre-war or wartime. The 50s dating in the description was misleading, but the photos were clear enough. Yes, I meant the shoulders seams, too, but mostly the padding and the way the armhole feels. It's distributed somewhat differently, more similar to a continental pagoda shoulder although not quite. I don't have the adequate vocabulary for it. Anyway, among American suits a late 20s to early 30s cut would come closest. British cuts in the 30s and 40s retained some of that older construction, although a tailor would probably protest against a direct US/UK comparison in shoulder construction.

By the way, I meant an English fitted size 37. That's my chest size. A 36" could wear it, too.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
well, British suit jackets are hard to date, but this coat is almost certainly pre-war or wartime. The 50s dating in the description was misleading, but the photos were clear enough. Yes, I meant the shoulders seams, too, but mostly the padding and the way the armhole feels. It's distributed somewhat differently, more similar to a continental pagoda shoulder although not quite. I don't have the adequate vocabulary for it. Anyway, among American suits a late 20s to early 30s cut would come closest. British cuts in the 30s and 40s retained some of that older construction, although a tailor would probably protest against a direct US/UK comparison in shoulder construction.

By the way, I meant an English fitted size 37. That's my chest size. A 36" could wear it, too.
Yes, indeed some features are quite distinctive. Probably the seller was not aware of most of them and listed as 1950s just to say that the cut don't resemble more modern examples, which from Sixties were cut quite differently.
Anyway it's really lovely, hope you'll enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou