Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty School Beginner (not literally)

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
I'm new to this whole make up, I usually do a little lipgloss, lipstick, blush, (rarely) mascara) and I'm out.

What should I know about makme up. (Other than wheter or not its hypoallergenic,and noncomedogenic (sp?).

What are the basics in supplies, removal, and applicators that I'll need?

How do they go on?

Any how-tos?

Basically I need to read Make up for DUMMIES cover to cover.

jayem

A-List Customer
Never use your fingers to apply foundation. Dab a bit of it on the back of the hand and apply it using, ideally, a foundation brush. This ensures even coverage. Always top foundation off with a powder to give a matte look. Don't forget to cover down to your neck too, or else you'll have that mask look.

ALWAYS moisturize! Lotion, also, makes a great primer.

To add blush in the best area, smile and apply from the apples of the cheek up in a sweeping motion. Remember, a little is a lot.

I like to suck in my cheeks and add a bit of a light brown eyeshadow to the crevices. This gives a more defined look.

The best method for removing makeup is smearing your face with cold cream and wiping it away with a tissue or cotton square.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Nothing like offering conflicting advice, but I think it is fine to put your foundation on with your fingers! I do it all the time, to myself and I am going to school to be a makeup artist! I don't use my fingers on other people, though. As long as you are using tubed makeup or something that won't introduce germs to the makeup (get the mu out of the tube with a q-tip, etc) it is fine to use your fingers to spread it around, if that is what you prefer, I think.

I would say the most important things I have learned are - cheap and expensive mu are often similar or the same, go by what you observe, not labels or price, ALWAYS take your mu off before you go to sleep, use a primer - under or instead of foundation and especially under eyeshadow to prevent creep, fading and creasing.

Jojo

New in Town
choose a foundation in the colour of your own skin, it's made for an even look not to look orange or brown like some people use it for. Maybe it will take some time to found the perfect one. And take your time to find the perfect one. Else you will end up with a bunch of them that you never use. :(

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Esme said:
Nothing like offering conflicting advice, but I think it is fine to put your foundation on with your fingers! I do it all the time, to myself and I am going to school to be a makeup artist! I don't use my fingers on other people, though. As long as you are using tubed makeup or something that won't introduce germs to the makeup (get the mu out of the tube with a q-tip, etc) it is fine to use your fingers to spread it around, if that is what you prefer, I think.

I would say the most important things I have learned are - cheap and expensive mu are often similar or the same, go by what you observe, not labels or price, ALWAYS take your mu off before you go to sleep, use a primer - under or instead of foundation and especially under eyeshadow to prevent creep, fading and creasing.

One of the main reasons I started this thread, is no matter how wonderful the advice is (and I assure you it is) I always come up with dumb questions like.

What's a primer?

Esme

One of the Regulars
Not a dumb question at all!!
A primer is like a primer coat of paint. It helps your makeup go on smoother, stay on longer and stay smoother. Some people don't need foundation primer. I am 50 and I seldom wear foundation, actually, I mostly wear a tinted moisturizer with a cheapie Rimmell primer under.
But I do use a eye shadow primer, anytime I wear eye shadow, to prevent creasing and fade. It is especially good to use under powder eyeshadow. I use either a MAC PaintPot or a professional stage mu one I ordered online. If I were in the US, I would probably use the Urban Decay one, but it is hard to get here.
I use this if I want a bit of shimmer.
http://www.activeskin.com.au/skin_c...uto_Pilot_Pre-Foundation_Skin_Primer-806.aspx

Body Shoppe also makes a good one, they have a primer that keeps you from looking all sweaty and such that works really well.

Some people find primers with silicone are very good and some people find they cause breakouts, so that might take some experimentation.

This might help - http://www.beauty-advices.com/how-to-use-and-apply-makeup-primer/

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Esme said:

Hehe well, not to offer conflicting-conflicting advice ;) But as a professional makeup artist, the reasoning behind applying makeup with your fingetips is this: the tips of your fingers not only have bacteria but also oils. If those oils mix with a foundation that is say, water-based, you could have separation issues on the face.

Now, if you are using it on yourself and clean your hands right before there probably shouldn't be any problems :)

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Esme said:
Not a dumb question at all!!
A primer is like a primer coat of paint. It helps your makeup go on smoother, stay on longer and stay smoother. Some people don't need foundation primer. I am 50 and I seldom wear foundation, actually, I mostly wear a tinted moisturizer with a cheapie Rimmell primer under.
But I do use a eye shadow primer, anytime I wear eye shadow, to prevent creasing and fade. It is especially good to use under powder eyeshadow. I use either a MAC PaintPot or a professional stage mu one I ordered online. If I were in the US, I would probably use the Urban Decay one, but it is hard to get here.
I use this if I want a bit of shimmer.
http://www.activeskin.com.au/skin_c...uto_Pilot_Pre-Foundation_Skin_Primer-806.aspx

Body Shoppe also makes a good one, they have a primer that keeps you from looking all sweaty and such that works really well.

Some people find primers with silicone are very good and some people find they cause breakouts, so that might take some experimentation.

This might help - http://www.beauty-advices.com/how-to-use-and-apply-makeup-primer/

What else do i need besides primer. And how do I apply it?

Foundation? Concealer? (What's the difference between them?)

Cream or Powder? Pros & cons?

BTW: How do you make lipstick stay?

Even though I love the idea of lipstick smudges on glass or your boy. :)

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
The difference between foundation and concealer is that foundation is meant for your whole face in order to make your skin look even. Concealer is meant more for trouble areas such as undereye circles and zits. Whenever I use concealer, I apply it before my powder.

Cream foundation is usually meant for people who have drier skin. Powder absorbs the oil from your skin and if you have dry skin, powder can make your face feel kind of tight. I use powder because I have combination skin and it absorbs the unwanted oil in all the right places. Creamy foundation on the other hand makes me look shiny and doesn't last as long with me. I also find powder is easier to apply.

Hope I helped. :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
dahliaoleander said:
What else do i need besides primer. And how do I apply it?

Foundation? Concealer? (What's the difference between them?)

Cream or Powder? Pros & cons?

BTW: How do you make lipstick stay?

Even though I love the idea of lipstick smudges on glass or your boy. :)

Unless you are quite oily, some moisturizer then primer is a great base for the rest of your makeup (think of your face as a blank canvas. Those need to be primed too before and artist puts any colors on).

You can apply primer with a sponge (though they tend to soak up a bit of product), a foundation brush or your fingers if you like that method (just wash your hands first!). You can get great quality foundation brushes at a CVS or Walgreens, etc. the brand is "essence of beauty".

If you have a pigmented enough foundation you may not need a concealer (Especially if you dont' have hypigmented skin or lots of scarring.) I usually tell clients to spend most money on your moisturizer and foundation. It's literally the basis of all your makeup and finding one that really suits your skin type and color is the most important. The powder, blush, etc. can be bought at a budget as alot of the drugstore brands have really "upped" the quality of these items over that past couple of years.

As for cream or powder, that depends on your personal preference and skin type. Cream is generally "thicker" and heavier and is for people who like the look of having foundation on and for drier skin types. A loose powder or a pressed powder applied with a powder brush is generally used to "set" this type of foundation as it gives a dewy and creamy look (unless of course you like that!).

The pros of this type of foundation is that is gives extra moisture to dry skin and give a more "porcelain" finish.

The cons: If you have oily skin, then you could look greasy if not powdered throughout the day. This means more effort to keep your skin looking fresh all day.

Powder foundation is generally for oilier skin types. Though, there are some that can be used wet and then dry to a powder finish which can be good for normal-combination skin types too.

The cons of a powder foundation on dry skin is the "caking" factor and that it will feel tight (I have dry skin and have experienced this when I worked for a makeup company and we had to wear their new powder foundation for a promotion for a whole week straight!).

The pros: Once set, it's pretty budge-proof and minimal touch ups are needed.

To make lipstick stay you could try these tricks:

1) Apply, blot with a tissue, apply and blot again. Once satisfied with the color and intensity you can apply a "sealer" on top (some great ones are Benefit "She-Laq", LipChic lipstick sealer, and if you can get ahold of it Ben Nye Final Seal. I use Final Seal as a sealer for the whole face and it works great.)

2) Find a long-wearing lipstick. (Boots has a great red one I use alot and it does not move! Covergirl, Max Factor, MAC, Estee Lauder, etc. all have a version of this type of lipstick.)

Good luck honey! Makeup can be a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it you will have lots of fun :)

kyda

One of the Regulars
advice

Ok I will pass on some tips that help me, for lipstick to stay I put a light amount of foundation on them, and I use a lip liner. I use my fingers for foundation because I want it to last because I am to stingy to replace it all the time!!!!. I use face wipes to take off my make up and then put moisturizer on, before I put mascara on I use a eyelash curler - I have long lashes but this gives them a bit more " pop", if I have a pimple coming up I use a green concealer stick - green takes the redness out of it. I also use a cram on the pimple ( got it from Avon) that helps dry it out before it gets to big and you can put it on over your make up.

I hope that this helps, one other thing that may help is to stand in front of the mirror and just practice. Good luck:) :) :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I would like to suggest investing in different shaped brushes. They DO make a difference especially with eyeshadows and lip application. I like to use a slanted brush for my eyebrows. Blending brushes are a great help to get a flawless blend of shadows and highlights on the eyelids. When it comes to lipstick, I now have to use a brush to apply it as I can't get the fantastic lines with the regular stick as I can with the brush.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
Two of my pet hates are 1) a lady with a tide line ( foundation not blended into neck or hairline) and 2) a lady that matches her foundation to her face skin colour rather than her neck skin colour. Often with sun exposure our faces are a bit darker than our necks and decolletage... Im getting stressed now thinking about it lol so Ill just say... Match to yr neck and blend blend blend!:D

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
I would like to suggest investing in different shaped brushes. They DO make a difference especially with eyeshadows and lip application. I like to use a slanted brush for my eyebrows. Blending brushes are a great help to get a flawless blend of shadows and highlights on the eyelids. When it comes to lipstick, I now have to use a brush to apply it as I can't get the fantastic lines with the regular stick as I can with the brush.

Excellent Advice :)

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
KittyVonKirsche said:
Two of my pet hates are 1) a lady with a tide line ( foundation not blended into neck or hairline) and 2) a lady that matches her foundation to her face skin colour rather than her neck skin colour. Often with sun exposure our faces are a bit darker than our necks and decolletage... Im getting stressed now thinking about it lol so Ill just say... Match to yr neck and blend blend blend!:D

I completely agree! Just yesterday I was applying some powder to my nose when my friend tells me, "Your powder is so light but you're darker than that!" and I told her how my neck and chest (especially) are a loooot lighter than my face and arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy