Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bed Bugs and Safe Collecting

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
From what I have read, bed bugs were a big problem in NYC in the early part of the last century (not sure of exact dates) but were sent packing on the DDT express.

Now that they are back in town, in many towns, and quickly spreading, I am definitely more cautious with my collecting. They can hide and hitch a ride in clothing, almost anything really. I know they aren't favoring old over new items, but since many of us buy used and unwashed items at estate sales, buy on ebay or second hand (Goodwill et al do not wash clothing before it's put on the racks), I think there's more of a chance of bringing uninvited guests home.

What precautions are you taking, if any?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm not sure we have a bed bug issue over here, but this year everyone seems to be plagued by clothes moths. I had started freezing all my clothing purchases for a day or two before washing and hanging in the wardrobe but still the wee bleeders have got in. I'm absolutely fuming about it and am not really sure where to start to get rid of them as moving my two cats out for a fumigation is just not practical.

I've only had three so far but you know, its like mice, there are always more there...

Bed bugs would freak me out even more though - any tips to keep them away would be interesting. I have a whole new worry now!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
OH, about moths!

I had bought some old Christmas decorations, and when I got them home I saw that there was live moth larvae living in the Santa doll beards!!!!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I'm not sure we have a bed bug issue over here,

We do. In the course of work I've heard about a number of people in council properties who are dealing with infestations.

We've also got a carpet moth infestation at work at the moment! That'll learn 'em, for putting down good carpets.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Don't quote me, but I think here in Oz international mail is fumigated before even hitting the sorting centre.

Beaubeau

New in Town
We had a rash of bedbugs recently in my mother's bed. They're finally gone for a while, if not forever, but I've always been one to wash a lot of things extremely carefully when I buy from people I don't know well.

If I'm not sure of the fabric of clothes and how to launder it, I figure dry cleaning it can't hurt it too badly. If it's not something made of fabric it can handle a nice couple rounds hot water scrubbing with vinegar, then Borax, and maybe Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend should fix whatever's on it.

Fortunately, I have to keep an extremely clean house for my father, so bug infestations prevention are on my weekly rotational list of Things To Get Done. After traveling, I clean everything, even suitcases thoroughly outside of the house. It's a pain in the ass, but not having bugs is worth it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
For a second there, I thought this was a thread about collecting strongboxes.

If I were buying something that might have bedbugs or their eggs, I suppose I'd put the item in quarantine, like a sealed bag or box, long enough for any bugs to hatch and die. Or just fumigate it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
From the Thermapure site,

Several sources (Usinger 1966, Gulmahamad 2002, Quarles 2007) report that adults and nymphs die within 15 minutes at temperatures greater than 113ºF and 60 minutes to kill eggs. Raising room temperatures above the thermal death point and maintaining that temperature for several hours should eliminate a bedbug infestation.​

For smallish items, you could get a smoker, which can be set to temps around 100 degrees:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat570001-cat20120_TGP&id=0034425516721a&navCount=2&podId=0034425&parentId=cat20120&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

For bigger items, I wonder if they'd get hot enough put outside on asphalt, wrapped in plastic, on a summer day.

Marla

A-List Customer
Does this mean I should not buy that cute 1930s couch I've had my eye on?:rolleyes:

How do you treat furniture? You can't very well freeze it unless it's winter and you live in a cold climate, and I'd rather not spray anything that's going to be touching my skin with pesticide!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My living room couch, dating from 1910 or so, had cooties in it when I got it -- apparently furniture with horsehair stuffing is quite appealing to certain types of bug. So before I ever let it in the house, we stripped it down to the frame and burned all the old upholstery and stuffing, and then sanitized the springs and the frame with alcohol before putting it back together and reupholstering it. A bit radical, possibly, but no further sign of the bugs.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Boston has HUGE issues with bed bugs and has for as long as I've lived here. The issues in NYC seem to be more recent. Here in Boston, it's the large number of college students living in tight quarters that seem to encourage them, helped in part by the frequent transfer of furniture set out on the curb by said students. City officials encourage people to not take any items set outside for giveaway.

I just read this on a site about getting rid of bed bugs:

"Personal items (stuffed animals, soft toys, blankets) should be removed, cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, and bagged in plastic for for a couple of days with Nuvan Strips if infestation is severe. You can also bag your laptops, phones, radios in a bag as well. The insecticide in the Nuvan strips will not harm these items and is a non residual, so you don't have to launder these items after using the Nuvan strips"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They are everywhere.

We didnt really have them much in the US since the 50s thanks to a lot of home insect spraying (DDT was good for something!) which was considered the thing to do to keep a tidy home.

My first LA apartment had them (one reason I moved). Id never seen them before. Creepy little things.

They dont really do much to you unless you have an allergic reaction to their venom (which is rare). Its the psychological aspect of nocturnal bugs coming out at night to feed on your blood. People get overly paranoid (which is understandable). There are support groups online for bedbug sufferers.

If you fumigate your home regularly, which most places/people dont do anymore, you can pretty much avoid pests of any kind.

"Starving" bedbugs is pointless. They can hibernate for over a year without feeding. They dont like extreme hot or cold, so wrapping something in plastic, putting it in the freezer for 24hrs, taking it out to get room temp will hatch any larvae that might be present, then refreeze it for 24 hrs again. That works with pretty much any bug.

Bedbugs are stupid though. They rarely nest more than 10' from their feeding place. Just be cautious of how you store clothes and items. Use chemicals to treat areas, and launder and treat your sleeping areas often.

Im personally waiting for the genetic specific chemical treatment for the critters that Im SURE some company is developing as we speak.

LD

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ohio has had a major problem with them recently, and my wife travels a lot. We haven't had any problems so far, but my daughter-in-law apparently stayed in a hotel that had them. When she got home she stripped in the garage, and everything went into plastic bags. Not sure what she did with all of her clothes, luggage, etc.

Regards,
Tom

Marla

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
My living room couch, dating from 1910 or so, had cooties in it when I got it -- apparently furniture with horsehair stuffing is quite appealing to certain types of bug. So before I ever let it in the house, we stripped it down to the frame and burned all the old upholstery and stuffing, and then sanitized the springs and the frame with alcohol before putting it back together and reupholstering it. A bit radical, possibly, but no further sign of the bugs.

:( Is that the only way? I rather fancy the original upholstery on this particular sofa... Say it isn't so!

This thread prompts the question: How do you fumigate a home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara