Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beer and Ale - Poll & Personal Favorites

Beer style favorites

• Total voters

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
M
Like alot
Love Samuel Adams Boston Lager very cold in a chilled glass. Also like their Summer Ale
My favorite import is Fosters(thanks au!)
Just about any type of fresh baked bread.

Last edited:

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Sex: yes (good answer Maj. Danger ;) )
Do I like beer: Yes, if it's ice cold..... heck I just like liquor period :p
Favorites are: Kirin, Grolsch, Blue Moon and Rolling Rock, but if someone hands me a cold beer on a hot day I don't care what it is ;)
Bread: San Francisco Sourdough

I didn't choose anything because I think I'm all over the place.

Ha! Great answers. Rue, I like your style!

DNO

One Too Many
Sex: sure, right after I finish this beer
Beer: not a fanatic but I'd never turn down a good pint

I have a strong preference for ales and bitters but a good ice-cold lager on a hot day is tough to beat as well. Love Christoffel Ale, Innis and Gunn, Old Speckled Hen, Smithwick's, Kronenbourg 1664, Sleeman's Cream Ale and Rickard's Red.

I'd never presume I could out-brew the pros...so no homebrewing for me....Oh, and pumpernickle is truly great.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I generally prefer a medium lager...and that is how I voted...but this is my favorite beer right now. I am told that Sunset Wheat is actually a hybrid beer. It is brewed as an ale, but fermented using lager yeast. I prefer it served very, very cold...like a good lager.

I had never heard of Leinenkugel's until I started spending time in Wisconsin. After tasting my first "Leinnie", I was hooked...but I couldn't buy it in North Carolina. No problem. Every Summerfest, I tried to drink an entire year's worth in eight or ten days. Sometimes I tried to drink two years' worth...in case something came up and I had to miss Summerfest the next year.

Then our legislature (bless their hearts) amended North Carolina's statutes governing alcohol content in beer. This opened North Carolina's door to the establishment of several great microbreweries and the importation of some excellent craft beers, including my beloved Leinenkugel's. Now I can buy all I want at the local Harris Teeter. And I do.

But I still try to drink a year's worth at every Summerfest...you know...just in case our legislature changes its mind.

699-1.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
As us beer lovers know, beer is a more complicated beverage than wine due to the need to convert the starch from grains into fermentable sugars - a step that is not necessary in wine making. It's been many years, but I had a 10 gallon all-grain home brewing setup, and I could produce very drinkable beers. I am a fan of flavorful beers, and salute brewers who can consistently produce quality beer.

I like any cask-conditioned real ales (unfortunately I don't live in England so my intake is limited to visits), Newcastle Brown, Guinness, Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale, some Pyramid beers, Yeungling, Jolly Pumpkin's Noel de Calabaza, Trappist Ales (quadrupel), Deschutes Abyss (and their porter), etc., etc. Primarily ales on the malty side, and lagers or sour beers for the summer.

All hale beer - nectar of the gods!

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Male, 40 - and yes, I love beer (the only option I didn't choose was the last one!). Favourite beers include:

Anything by the Marble Brewery (a small indpendent brewer here in Manchester), but especially Chocolate Marble. If you ever get the chance to try it, do! It's a rich, toasty beer similar to a stout or porter. It does taste chocolatey, but apparently doesn't contain any chocolate.

Deuchar's IPA by the Caldeonian Brewery in Edinburgh. Light, crisp and refreshing - my go to beer.

Black Sheep by the The Black Sheep Brewery in Masham, Yorkshire - my second choice of go to beer!

The ubiquitous Guinness.

Anything by Stewart's Brewery. Another Edinburgh based favourite. A fairly new inpependent which started small, but is currently becoming increasingly popular. Their beers come in 8 pint mini kegs, which are perfect for very enjoyable Hogmanay celebrations...:D

Belhaven 80'/ by The Belhaven Brewery in Dunbar, Scotland. A nice pint o' heavy!

U.S. domestic beers are my imports! I do love a bottle or 4 of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or any of the fantastic beers offered by The Anchor Steam Brewing Co. in San Francisco.

Worst thing about beer? See my sig below...

Breads - my favourite bread is Polish rye bread with carraway seeds. I'll gladly eat it on it's own with a nice glass of any of the above. It's amazing. However, I prefer my own hand made bread! :)

Last edited:

rumblefish

One Too Many
I like all kinds except for Gueuze. I have a place for just about every slyle of beer. There are plenty in all these catagories that I don't like and a few brands I stay away from. Picking a favorite would depend on what I'm in the mood for, where in the tasting menu I am, or what's for dinner.

Last edited:

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Ah, Boddington's (or "Boddy's" as it's known locally) , the cream of Manchester! At least it used to be until they stopped making it in the city. :( Still an ok pint though.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boddington's is good with whisky..

Hi, o.k., but WHAT whisky do you drink it with? Somehow Jack and English ale sounds strange. A good Scotch and English ale sound like it would ruin both. Irish and English ale maybe?

Curious, I've had boiler makers, but that's like Pabst and Jim Beam. Boiler makers are a way to get blitzed on bad whiskey without tasting it.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo