Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff on the 'bay?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hello all, it's been a long time since I've posted here, hope all is well with those acquaintances I've made through the board.

I've been looking for a Belstaff-style bag for awhile, but I'm unwilling and, frankly, unable, to pay the price for an exact replica of the designer bags, which is what brings me to you.

Not sure what the rules currently are regarding the posting of live eBay sales on this board, but I've found this auction on that massive site we all love to hate. On the chance that the powers that be decide to remove this link (in which case, sincerest apologies, I didn't intend to break any rules), the bag looks like a Belstaff Colonial 556, as sold by J. Crew, among others, for over 300$. This sale lists the bag at roughly $70. I'm guessing that, at this price, the bags are knockoffs, but, do I really care?

My WWII musette is too small to carry the laptop and books necessary for a college student, and I can't seem to find anything that looks similar for a price like this. I'm tired of carrying an ubiquitous black backpack to class. Thoughts on purchasing?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Gijoe said:
I got my Bag today.
Definitly worth the money !!!!
Thanks for post the link !

Would you mind posting some additional pictures? I'm especially interested in the labels and fasteners.

I still haven't ordered the bag, because I'm currently traveling, but very well might when I return home.

Either way, happy to hear you've made a satisfying purchase!

Carnage

One of the Regulars
That looks great, I am going to order one of those and get the EMS option methinks!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Wow, that's brilliant. In my opinion, even better than the designer brand because of the more solid fasteners. Unless I'm grossly incorrect, it seems that they're stitched on, no snaps. Can't ask for something that will prove more secure than that.

Thanks for the photos!

Gijoe

A-List Customer
I was surprised about the good quality of the leather. I like the stylish look , but a such bag is no over 300$ worth. Also the "designer" bag is manufactured for few cash in China.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Interesting. That bag looks great. Nice find!

Does it have the interior zip pocket and, if so, how big is it? Any other interior separations or is it just one compartment?

I have a satchel I've been using that works really well... its just a tad too small and a little too thin for me to feel that confident carrying the laptop out in the rain. That bag might be just the thing.

Its silly, though: I have a vintage belstaff trailmaster that I wear for riding and mainland travel.... so I'll have the look down without ever having seen the movie. [huh]

But then... if we really cared about snide comments other people might make we wouldn't be here, would we? :)

Gijoe

A-List Customer
It have the Zipper, no other separations inside. Mansuerments 33cm x 26cm x 12cm
(13 Inches x 10" x 6 ") The bag is lined with a kaki fabric. The outher fabric has the feel of the thicker US WWII Webbing ( Leggings or Meat can Pouch)

Edward

Bartender
Gijoe said:
I was surprised about the good quality of the leather. I like the stylish look , but a such bag is no over 300$ worth. Also the "designer" bag is manufactured for few cash in China.

Ain't that the truth. We can argue all day about the finer points of Trade Mark infringement, but the reality with items like this is that often they're produced in the same factory as, or one just down the road from, that in which the designer brand product they ape is manufactured. TBH, I think I'd prefer it without the logo, but it's inobtrusive. How rain proof do you think it might be?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Gijoe said:
It have the Zipper, no other separations inside. Mansuerments 33cm x 26cm x 12cm
(13 Inches x 10" x 6 ")

Huh. Interesting measurements. Think it would comfortably house a 13" Macbook and a few textbooks?

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Kodiak, I'll let you know when mine arrives. We have a 13" macbook at the house. Judging by the measurements in this thread (which are different than the ones listed on the bay...) my guess is that it would.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
I got this bag yesterday - 21 days from purchase to delivery from China to Hawaii without EMS. I noticed that the bag is now being sold via a different account but with the exact same description page. And its up to $100.

The good news: It really is a wonderful bag. Seems well made of high quality stuff. I'm really happy with it.

The not so good news: dishonesty on the bay really irritates me and the bag isn't anywhere near the size listed in its description. I knew that when I ordered it because of this thread but if it was larger there are several other things I could have used it for. Basically if you lay it flat and stretch it out you get the listed dimensions... but who measures a bag like that? 13 x 10 x 5 with a little room to unwrinkle and stretch is the actual size, as Gijoe posted. 4" wide at the top, 5" wide at the bottom.

A 13" macbook does fit in it fairly well. I'd feel safe carrying it in this bag with the caveat that I'd want to be very careful in a heavy rain. The bag is just wide enough for the 13" macbook and if not closed carefully the edges of the computer could be exposed at the top. I normally slip my computer into an army surplus waterproof backpack liner for that kind of situation. Cheap, thin, weighs almost nothing. I'm also thinking of sewing in a simple divider flat against the inside back to hold the laptop in place. A little extra work of adding a top flap for it and the machine will not be exposed.

The pockets are nice: the front pockets are about 4.5 x 6.6 x 1", the edge pockets about 4 x 5 x 1". The edge pockets can only be secured by the straps... I may have to install snaps on them as its too tempting to put the cellphone in the front edge pocket. For now its enough security for me to use the strap without buckling it. The phone hasn't fallen out yet when I throw the bag in the truck.

Anyway... the bag is probably worth the $100 they are now asking for it if you can't find a style you like better for the same price. I'd rather it didn't have the Belstaff label and logo as I'm not looking for a cheap knockoff of a $350 fashion bag so I may remove them. Just looking for a strong leather and canvas bag with easy access exterior pockets - and that's what this is.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
FYI, I just waterproofed this bag with a can of Kakadu reproofing wax and a hair dryer. Worked like a charm. :D The thick canvas soaks it up well without going all the way through to the lining.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I ordered one last week and it arrived today. I love it, the bag feels bombproof and I am really looking forward to using it.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
If the Adventure Gear thread can be almost 300 pages long... a little more thread necromancy isn't going to hurt. :)

These bags are still being sold - and for significantly less - on ebay. They have the larger version now, too, and I own both. The smaller bag I got in 2010 has been my daily driver ever since and has held up extremely well. No major fraying of anything anywhere, just the wear you'd expect from a bag used everyday for 2 and a half years.

The larger version I've only had for a few months but it appears to be about the same quality build except that the design is slightly different. The big bag has a zipper closure in addition to the flap - which I wanted since the zipper is a little more secure riding on the motorcycle. Not sure if the smaller bags also have the zipper. They also no longer have the Belstaff logo even though they are marketed as "I am Legend" bags - they aren't exact knock-offs anymore.

I just like the design so I'm not worried about pretending to have a ridiculously priced name bag. Easy to get to stuff in the outer pockets, easy to keep stuff secure in the main compartment.

Anyway... figured someone would appreciate a report back in since threads live forever here. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21