Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff or Aero?

When do you get the burn bandages off Scott?Great hide man!
lol those were some wool fingerless gloves I wore in Normandy. It was cold! The jacket looked good after two weeks of weather. It's still not nearly broken in through. That was the most I got to wear it. In Kelso, Scotland, I wore it and it was freezing, raining, windy. That thing felt like I was wearing armor - it was about 1 hour old at the time :)Those pics were taken at the Normandy Cemetery...

... One of the things I've read is that the cordorvan colouring can 'bleed' quite heavily at first. Does anyone have experience of that?

Interestingly....the first time I wore my brown FQHH Aero in the rain it bled. I got it completely soaked. After that...no more.
I have not had any bleeding with my cordovan FQHH in the rain. Maybe it needs a bit more rain......

trapp

Practically Family
From what I've read, people have different experiences with the amount of bleeding of the cordovan fqhh. What seems consistent is that it eventually 'bleeds out' and then your fine.

Alabama

New in Town
I have just bought a Aero Real Deal A2, and can not say enough about how good they are.
Will and every one else there have been a great help.
I would go Aero.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's useful to know. At the moment, I'm edging towards a long half-belt in cordorvan or perhaps a 1930s slim-fit half-belt, though of course a visit to the factory may change that. Decisions, decisions! Butte, can I ask you what sort of jacket is pictured?

That's useful to know. At the moment, I'm edging towards a long half-belt in cordorvan or perhaps a 1930s slim-fit half-belt, though of course a visit to the factory may change that. Decisions, decisions! Butte, can I ask you what sort of jacket is pictured?
50's HBD.Here's more - if this is killin' the thread, let me know and I'll remove...
IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful bit of hide you've got there, and only six hours old - I take it you 'walked it' on to its hanger. Really like the cuff detail, and lovely depth of colour. Nice tartan as well. I was thinking of going for Lamont, my family tartan, but it's very, very dull. I had the opportunity to peruse the other cloths and quite like the colourful Bruce of Kinnaird (a bit like bespoke suits, I like to think that if the exterior is understated and classic then the lining is your chance to cut a little dash).
I suppose I'd better brace my credit card for any visit to their factory, shouldn't I? Did you do anything to soften the jacket up before taking it out, or did you just go cold turkey and fling it on - I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to go for the Aero's 501 solution and wear it in the bath.

I was handed it on a hanger by Will's son at the Aero back door. Came inside, put it on and took the tour. From there, we went to Kelso where it was cold, rainy, and windy. Got home to our freind's in Durham, and took the pics. Wore it for the next 2.5 weeks on our vacation, and when I got it home, I did indeed dump it into the hot shower to soak it. I then wore it a but before putting it into the dryer. ~10 mins at a time, and let it get mostly dry. Hung overnight, and it was good to go in the morning. I think I did that one more time before the weather got too warm for it. Awaiting fall to get back to breaking it in.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Would spraying a brand new aero down with a (quality) leather weatherproofing spray help keep it from bleeding off the excess dye? I'm guessing the longer the dye sits on there the better.

I have one on the way is why I ask.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"Cold, rainy, and windy" covers the Scottish summer this year, so I can only apologise for my country's weather - the Jet Stream failed to push north, left us with a lot of Arctic stuff. Sounds as if you've got a definite system for getting a jacket softened up - though how cold can Pasadena get? Kelso cold? :-D

"Cold, rainy, and windy" covers the Scottish summer this year, so I can only apologise for my country's weather - the Jet Stream failed to push north, left us with a lot of Arctic stuff. Sounds as if you've got a definite system for getting a jacket softened up - though how cold can Pasadena get? Kelso cold? :-D
No apologies needed! I loved it and the people. I'll take it over the 105° here. Pasadena gets in the 30°s. good for jackets for quite a bit of time. And mountains here get cold as all hell. Jackets get used a lot. Maybe not Scotland level though lol

Would spraying a brand new aero down with a (quality) leather weatherproofing spray help keep it from bleeding off the excess dye? I'm guessing the longer the dye sits on there the better.I have one on the way is why I ask.
Don't do it. Leave it alone, wear it, wet it, beat it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have the feeling that it's going to be on regular rotation with a repro RAF Crombie great coat that I have. After last year's wet and mild one, they're anticipating another severe winter this year.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Right, day booked off next week, so that's a trip to Galashiels penciled in. Question: is it really worth phoning ahead to say that you're coming in?

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I would have phoned before booking the day off!, other people can measure you but you can talk through your requirements with Will and he will give you the different possibilities and advice some of the others may not be able to, also wear a pair of pants you will wear most often and he will show what length would best suit the jacket, then it's the big wait!

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183