Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff vs Vanson leather jacket

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
As far as the jackets go, the Vanson is far better imo.

However whether either jacket suits you will depend on your build, style preferences, experience in wearing quality leather jackets and your purpose for wearing the jacket. All we know so far is the answer to the last question Ie that it’s for casual wear, not for riding….

Depending on your answers to all the questions you may be better looking at other jackets and/or makers. Your budget (based on the price of these two jackets) gives you some decent second hand options if you’re patient.

The particular Vanson you are looking at is an IKE jacket (I have one in horsehide), one of their more street wear style, rather than specific riding jackets (it doesn’t have zip sleeve cuffs closure for instance) So a good casual style. It will still be made of heavy thick leather though (competition weight cowhide probably like most of their jackets,, or maybe their rarer slightly lighter cowhide leather option). Very rare and lovely Vanson horsehide jackets always state that specifically on the label and I’d be amazed to find one at this price!

Vanson patterns are great and help make their heavy jackets comfortable and non-restrictive to wear despite the tough materials they use. But it will still be a shock if you’re only used to mall leather jackets or fabric jackets, so you’ll need to be aware of that and happy to get used to it. it will get easier as it moulds to you. At least buying second hand someone else has already done some of the breaking in for you. The Ike has a thin cotton lining which is great as it means you can wear it quite a bit of the year depending where you are living without getting too hot and with appropriate layers it’s still ok for non winter months..

As far as fit, the Ike is short in length and has a straight boxy style, it’s loosely modelled on a (canvas) WWII field jacket. That needs to be something that fits with your style preferences/build to work well. I think if you’re slim and reasonably tall, like with most things, it works well. Very low rise jeans may not work so well worn with it given the jacket shortness, but slightly low rise or mid rise and up jeans/trousers should be fine… likewise if you like to wear long shirts or t-shirts worn untucked, I don’t think it’s a good look. Shorter untucked tops may be OK, or you can wear tops tucked in as the military would have done. Of course just my opinion, others have different views on what looks good! If you’re happy and feel comfortable with how you wear it that's really all that matters.

good luck!

Laurus

Familiar Face
As far as the jackets go, the Vanson is far better imo.

However whether either jacket suits you will depend on your build, style preferences, experience in wearing quality leather jackets and your purpose for wearing the jacket. All we know so far is the answer to the last question Ie that it’s for casual wear, not for riding….

Depending on your answers to all the questions you may be better looking at other jackets and/or makers. Your budget (based on the price of these two jackets) gives you some decent second hand options If you’re patient.

The particular Vanson you are looking at is an IKE jacket (I have one in horsehide), one of their more street wear style, rather than specific riding jackets (it doesn’t have zip sleeve cuffs closure for instance) So a good casual style. It will still be made of heavy thick leather though (competition weight cowhide probably like most of their jackets,, or maybe their rarer slightly lighter cowhide leather option). Very rare and lovely Vanson horsehide jackets always state that specifically on the label and I’d be amazed to find one at this price!

Vanson patterns are great and help make their heavy jackets comfortable and non-restrictive to wear despite the tough materials they use. But it will still be a shock if you’re only used to mall leather jackets or fabric jackets, so you’ll need to be aware of that and happy to get used to it. it will get easier as it moulds to you. At least buying second hand someone else has already done some of the breaking in for you. The Ike has a thin cotton lining which is great as it means you can wear it quite a bit of the year depending where you are living without getting too hot and with appropriate layers it’s still ok for non winter months..

As far as fit, the Ike is short in length and has a straight boxy style, it’s loosely modeled on a (canvas) WWII field jacket. That needs to be something that fits with your style preferences/build to work well. I think if you’re slim and reasonably tall, like with most things, it works well. Very low rise jeans may not work so well worn with it given the jacket shortness, but slightly low rise or mid rise and up jeans/trousers should be fine… likewise if you like to wear long shirts or t-shirts worn untucked, I don’t think it’s a good look. Shorter untucked tops may be OK, or you can wear tops tucked in As the military would have done. Of course just my opinion, others have different views on what looks good! If you’re happy and feel comfortable with how you wear it that's really all that matters.

good luck!
Thanks that's very detailed. In terms of my build, I'm 6ft and 11st so pretty slim. The only thing that worries me about the vanson is that it's a Japanese market jacket, I've brought Schott jackets from Japan before that have some really odd sizing.

Do you think I'd be better off getting the Vanson then? I'll essentially only be wearing it to the pub, maybe to clubs but I'd most likely use their cloak room.

What’s the seller say (pics?) the back length is on this one? I don’t recall my Ike being particularly short. Though it’s been a few years. Most CW colors other than the black are easy to break in. Brown especially. This one is black so…

Also— They do run a bit larger than most MC focused Vanson- so perfect for layering but still looks good with just a t-shirt. Typical solid Vanson pattern. A casual jacket for the pub, for sure.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Good point on length, Vanson mentions 26.5", so not short at all. Mine was pretty short, a 36 in HH was 22 back length, but that was Japan or Euro market, with Riri zips. Best to ask the seller for a back length measurement, bottom of the collar to hem.

Laurus

Familiar Face
What’s the seller say (pics?) the back length is on this one? I don’t recall my Ike being particularly short. Though it’s been a few years. Most CW colors other than the black are easy to break in. Brown especially. This one is black so…

Also— They do run a bit larger than most MC focused Vanson- so perfect for layering but still looks good with just a t-shirt. Typical solid Vanson pattern. A casual jacket for the pub, for sure.
23.6 inch length, 29.9 inch sleeves (seems a bit long, but eh) pit to pit is 21.2 inches which should fit me perfectly.

I currently own a goatskin leather jacket that's 25 inches long, 21 inches pit to pit and it's at the upper end of acceptable lengths for me I think, comes down just below the belt..

Laurus

Familiar Face

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
If Japanese market it could be horsehide, rare and sought after, check the label. Competition weight cowhide is good as well, heavy.

Laurus

Familiar Face
If Japanese market it could be horsehide, rare and sought after, check the label. Competition weight cowhide is good as well, heavy.
Heavy isn't an issue really even though I'm only wearing casually. I'd rather have a heavier jacket that'd last longer than a lighter jacket that... Won't. Although, would you say this vanson would be suitable for wear most of the year? Probably not mid-day summer but summer nights, autumn, winter, spring?

I can get it for £294 including postage, would you say it's a good deal?

Ok, not for the US market. Makes sense. Glad I’m not crazy as my Ike wasn’t short. Good luck. I’d still go Vanson.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
My Ike is my shortest back length jacket at 23.75” from collar seam to hem at back.. It’s not extremely short like a vintage jacket can be, but still on the shorter side. Mine’s a size 38 I’m 5’ 10” 150 lbs 39” chest and it fits me well though I wouldn’t mind another 1cm on sleeves as I‘ve long arms.

As others have said get measurements from seller - ideally photos with tailors tape measure shown so you know exactly how they are measuring… (sleeve sound very long!). And compare to well fitting jacket you have. From your goatskin jacket and preferences it sounds like length will work well for you, but be aware thick Vanson leather won’t drape or be soft like goatskin.

In case useful, full size specs for my standard USA size 38 (horsehide, direct from Vanson in 2004 )
Pit to pit is 21" (53.3cm)
Sleeve length I.e. Shoulder seam to cuff on outside 24" (61cm) following curve (23.5" (59.7cm) straight)
Sleeve length Pit to cuff 18.5" (47cm) straight following seam and same following curve
Jacket length I.e. Bottom of collar seam to bottom of jacket at back 23.75" (60.3cm) (inc collar 25.25" (64.1cm) with collar stood down as normal)
Waist I.e. With jacket zipped up/flat measure width at jacket bottom 18.5" (47cm)
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the back 18.25" (46.4cm)
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the front 18" (45.7cm)
[so across shoulders plus both arm sleeves = 66.25"]
Weight 2310g

I’m wary of leaving nice jackets in cloakrooms, but it’s always fun to hand over a Vanson and see the coat check person‘s arms fall under the - for them - surprising weight ! :) it’s a great pub jacket.

With a t-shirt you can keep it on indoors unless somewhere hot and crowded. In UK climate I’d say works best spring and autumn, full summer no leather jacket is really a good idea (unless for riding protection purposes or on unusually cool Summer days or cooler evenings). For winter you’ll need good layers and even so it’s not really a go to jacket for winter as it’s shortish…

Certainly true that the fit is less trim and snug than the Vanson moto jackets as those need to be tight so they don’t ride up in a crash. In contrast Ike is a friendly boxy shape for some layering - or pie eating - (within reason).

Vanson offered Horsehide jackets in the past. I bought mine direct from them in 2004. Don’t think they have offered horsehide for some time now. Though maybe some collabs or Japanese only stuff made? The horsehide jackets came with riri zips as standard (As mine did).

Price sounds decent. It’s not a steal, but if it’s in good condition it’s fair imo. Look at Vanson website for new jacket costs. They often have 10% or even 15% off sales, but depending where you are import can be expensive… if UK then with exchange rate and postage and import this second hand jacket looks great value. And second hand does mean it’s somewhat pre-broken in. Plus many feel older Vanson competition weight leather cowhide is better than their current version…

Good luck and if you get it don’t forget to let us all know what you think and post some fit pics…

cheers

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Heavy isn't an issue really even though I'm only wearing casually. I'd rather have a heavier jacket that'd last longer than a lighter jacket that... Won't. Although, would you say this vanson would be suitable for wear most of the year? Probably not mid-day summer but summer nights, autumn, winter, spring?

I can get it for £294 including postage, would you say it's a good deal?
For me, a good deal is a jacket in a very good shape for about 50% of a new jacket. On Vanson website, a new Ike normally sells for $599 (now 10% less because of "inflation-busting sale" - go Vanson!). At Thurston Bros, a special Ike is $950 (special hide). Add tax and shipping to the above. So yeah, for me 300 quid shipped is a pretty good (not a screaming) deal. If it were horsehide, it would be a screaming deal.

Laurus

Familiar Face
My Ike is my shortest back length jacket at 23.75” from collar seam to hem at back.. It’s not extremely short like a vintage jacket can be, but still on the shorter side. Mine’s a size 38 I’m 5’ 10” 150 lbs 39” chest and it fits me well though I wouldn’t mind another 1cm on sleeves as I‘ve long arms.

As others have said get measurements from seller - ideally photos with tailors tape measure shown so you know exactly how they are measuring… (sleeve sound very long!). And compare to well fitting jacket you have. From your goatskin jacket and preferences it sounds like length will work well for you, but be aware thick Vanson leather won’t drape or be soft like goatskin.

In case useful, full size specs for my standard USA size 38 (horsehide, direct from Vanson in 2004 )
Pit to pit is 21" (53.3cm)
Sleeve length I.e. Shoulder seam to cuff on outside 24" (61cm) following curve (23.5" (59.7cm) straight)
Sleeve length Pit to cuff 18.5" (47cm) straight following seam and same following curve
Jacket length I.e. Bottom of collar seam to bottom of jacket at back 23.75" (60.3cm) (inc collar 25.25" (64.1cm) with collar stood down as normal)
Waist I.e. With jacket zipped up/flat measure width at jacket bottom 18.5" (47cm)
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the back 18.25" (46.4cm)
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the front 18" (45.7cm)
[so across shoulders plus both arm sleeves = 66.25"]
Weight 2310g

I’m wary of leaving nice jackets in cloakrooms, but it’s always fun to hand over a Vanson and see the coat check person‘s arms fall under the - for them - surprising weight ! :) it’s a great pub jacket.

With a t-shirt you can keep it on indoors unless somewhere hot and crowded. In UK climate I’d say works best spring and autumn, full summer no leather jacket is really a good idea (unless for riding protection purposes or on unusually cool Summer days or cooler evenings). For winter you’ll need good layers and even so it’s not really a go to jacket for winter as it’s shortish…

Certainly true that the fit is less trim and snug than the Vanson moto jackets as those need to be tight so they don’t ride up in a crash. In contrast Ike is a friendly boxy shape for some layering - or pie eating - (within reason).

Vanson offered Horsehide jackets in the past. I bought mine direct from them in 2004. Don’t think they have offered horsehide for some time now. Though maybe some collabs or Japanese only stuff made? The horsehide jackets came with riri zips as standard (As mine did).

Price sounds decent. It’s not a steal, but if it’s in good condition it’s fair imo. Look at Vanson website for new jacket costs. They often have 10% or even 15% off sales, but depending where you are import can be expensive… if UK then with exchange rate and postage and import this second hand jacket looks great value. And second hand does mean it’s somewhat pre-broken in. Plus many feel older Vanson competition weight leather cowhide is better than their current version…

Good luck and if you get it don’t forget to let us all know what you think and post some fit pics…

cheers
Haha thanks, will do!

Here's the listing for the jacket, was a bit wary to post it in the OP in case someone swooped in an nabbed it before I decided! If you could take a look over it and tell me what you think, that'd be great! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224920978034

For me, a good deal is a jacket in a very good shape for about 50% of a new jacket. On Vanson website, a new Ike normally sells for $599 (now 10% less because of "inflation-busting sale" - go Vanson!). At Thurston Bros, a special Ike is $950 (special hide). Add tax and shipping to the above. So yeah, for me 300 quid shipped is a pretty good (not a screaming) deal. If it were horsehide, it would be a screaming deal.
Ha I'm pretty sure it isn't horsehide, but yeah it seemed like a pretty good deal when I saw it. Here's the original listing if you could take a look, if anything stands out or seems odd if you could let me know that'd be great, thanks! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224920978034

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Looks nice, probably not horsehide, or else it would say so on the label. The zipper looks like Riri though, far as I can tell. Solid jacket, hope it fits.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
It’s not horsehide. But has riri zipper which is an upgrade from standard. Looks in great shape to me. Size 40 sounds about right for you given your height/weight.

Seemingly crazy long sleeve length weirdness is ‘cos they unhelpfully measured from collar seam not shoulder seam to cuff. Be aware sleeves (like back) aren’t the longest in this model, something to think about depending on your arm length/sleeve length preferences… I’d guess this size 40 would be at max only 24.5” following curve on outside (my size 38 has 24” sleeves).

Looks great to me and decent price. If you think it’ll fit you/your style I’d go for it…

cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko