Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
I really like that brown color, Daan.

I'm discovering that I'm a "beret-minimalist" so when I see that size beret I wonder if I could use it as... a tent! :)

Reactions: RJR

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
I have a question for Deer beret owners:

I see that that they made a linen model as well as a polyester model. Which is better for warm weather?

My first thought was that polyester would be clammy, but then I rememberd that I have used a Kangol "vent air" cap. It was made of some synthetic fiber, and breathed very well in hot, humid air.

I am drawn to the linen model, and linen is very comfortable in hot weather. It also wrinkles hugely - won't a linen beret look like a crumpled paper bag after a few outings?

Finally - what kind of rim do these berets have: leather? Synthetic? Cloth?

I ask because I've discoverd a couple of stores in Japan that show a limited stock of both styles, and mail order may be possible.

Daan

Vendor
I have a question for Deer beret owners:

I see that that they made a linen model as well as a polyester model. Which is better for warm weather?

My first thought was that polyester would be clammy, but then I rememberd that I have used a Kangol "vent air" cap. It was made of some synthetic fiber, and breathed very well in hot, humid air.

I am drawn to the linen model, and linen is very comfortable in hot weather. It also wrinkles hugely - won't a linen beret look like a crumpled paper bag after a few outings?

Finally - what kind of rim do these berets have: leather? Synthetic? Cloth?

I ask because I've discoverd a couple of stores in Japan that show a limited stock of both styles, and mail order may be possible.

Strange but true, the polyester model (the DEER Summer Basque) is actually better suited for hot weather than the linen model (the linen model actually containing 65% linen and 35% cotton). It is also knitted in a more open pattern, making the Summer Basques literally feather light and very breathable. However, the linen DEER Basques are, or were, beautiful berets in their own right. Wrinkling is no issue at all, thanks to the tight knit and the mix with cotton. The rim in these berets is the same as all DEER Basques, an elastic cloth material that is very flexible and comfortable.

I have found a few suppliers in Japan myself who still have a small stock of DEER Basques, but the cost is prohibitively high - certainly with the shipping taken into account. If you can find a good deal though, go for it - these berets are fantastic!

Also, a fellow FL-member, 1280almas, used to sell these berets in Spain and I believe he still has a few linen models on the shelves. May pay to drop him a line.
Good luck!

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Thank you Daan.

Yup, it's that shipping... I once managed to get a small item from Japan through connections who knew somebody there. They forwarded the item to me diect from Japan, and the difference between what they paid for shipping and what the forwarding services charge was staggering.

foamy

A-List Customer
I recieved the Boneteria Aotearoa Grand Foulards Alpin on Tuesday (thank you, Daan). It's a big flipp'in beret. I know there are larger ones, but I think this is about as big as I need to go (maybe). Fit just fine right out of the bag and is everything I expected—I liked it right away. Not only is it comfortable (just like the Auloronesa)—it's very warm. Too warm to be wearing in the current weather we're having, however, temperatures will be falling again this weekend with rain and some snow expected. A perfect opportunity to try it out. I'll post my experience and a photo after the weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Kind'a wish I'd ordered this baby earlier on.

Breezy today and so, my fav, the Auloronesa.

Auloronesa.jpg

Last edited:

RJR

I recieved the Boneteria Aotearoa Grand Foulards Alpin on Tuesday (thank you, Daan). It's a big flipp'in beret. I know there are larger ones, but I think this is about as big as I need to go (maybe). Fit just fine right out of the bag and is everything I expected—I liked it right away. Not only is it comfortable (just like the Auloronesa)—it's very warm. Too warm to be wearing in the current weather we're having, however, temperatures will be falling again this weekend with rain and some snow expected. A perfect opportunity to try it out. I'll post my experience and a photo after the weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Kind'a wish I'd ordered this baby earlier on.

Breezy today and so, my fav, the Auloronesa.

View attachment 46594
Looks good.

Daan

Vendor
New: The CZECH CLASSICS!

Thinking of a new line of quality mid-weight berets at an affordable price, South Pacific Berets teamed up with one of the oldest hat manufacturers in the world.

The Czech Classics is a line of berets that are specifically and exclusively made for South Pacific Berets by long time manufacturer FEZCO/TONAK in Nový Jičín, in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains.

The aim was to develop a beret that is classic in its looks, very comfortable to wear, fitted with the traditional Czech tartan lining and at a competitive price. The result is a line of 29cm plateau berets in five colours that meet these parameters perfectly.

Available in black, navy-blue, brown, Bordeaux and winter-green at an introductory price of $36.00.

foamy

A-List Customer
Well, I believe I have all the sizes I need. Perhaps it's time to work on some colors.

A grey, drizzly day here in the high 30's (F) and I thought I'd break out the new Alpin. Let me tell you, if you don't want people looking at you—don't wear this beret. It took everyone I spoke to at least a couple of seconds to find their voice. I could see the "What the..." written on every face. Folks hereabouts have never seen the like. One woman sat through a green light because she was unaware the light had changed—so busy staring at my beret. Another woman asked if I was an artist, which pleased me because I am. As Daan states on his web page: "This is not a beret for the faint hearted." This Boneteria Aotearoa—Grand Foulards Alpin does what it designed to do, protect you from the elements. It's warm, comfortable, kept the rain off of my glasses and I quite like it. Watching peoples reactions is fun as well.

Big'un.jpg
Big'un 2.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
Well, I believe I have all the sizes I need. Perhaps it's time to work on some colors.

A grey, drizzly day here in the high 30's (F) and I thought I'd break out the new Alpin. Let me tell you, if you don't want people looking at you—don't wear this beret. It took everyone I spoke to at least a couple of seconds to find their voice. I could see the "What the..." written on every face. Folks hereabouts have never seen the like. One woman sat through a green light because she was unaware the light had changed, so busy staring at my beret. Another woman asked if I was an artist, which pleased me because I am. As Daan states on his web page: "This is not a beret for the faint hearted." This beret does what it says it does, protects you from the elements. It's warm, comfortable and I quite like it.

View attachment 46709 View attachment 46710

Fantastic! I can just picture it (and can relate to it very well). I have lived in Tennessee for a while and had very similar experiences. However, when I moved to Maine, caretaking of a small farm over winter, people never blinked an eye. Whether it was out of politeness (a very NZ attitude; "whatever you think, don't show it..") or whether Maine people were genuinely adherents to the "do as you like as long as you don't bother me attitude", I don't know.

Meanwhile, there are parts of the world where you'd look more out of place without a tarte alpin. This morning I was working on an article on fishermen from Bretagne (Brittany, Breizh) of early last century. Large diameter berets were definitely the headgear to wear and easy to see why in this rough, windy and wet Atlantic climate.
1289122510.gif
1289122950.gif

1289122995.gif

Or take this album cover for Gwerz Penmarc'h of Breton folk band Sonerien Du.

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
A field report: Two weeks in Manhattan wearing a tarte alpin.

Just came back from two weeks in New York City going to art fairs and museums.
We were uptown, mid town, down town, upper east side, upper west side, SOHO, NOHO,
Battery Park, Wall Street, Chelsea, West Village, East Village, Hells Kitchen, Times Square.

The whole time I wore a Boneteria Aotearoa tarte alpin in leather lined black or navy universal or French khaki universal.

Wear the tarte alpin and you become invisible in New York City.

No one looks, no one points.

Did have three panhandlers say they liked my hat.

Did not see any other 12p berets anywhere.

foamy

A-List Customer
snip...Whether it was out of politeness (a very NZ attitude; "whatever you think, don't show it..") or whether Maine people were genuinely adherents to the "do as you like as long as you don't bother me attitude", I don't know....
I'd guess a little of both.

Not as much reaction in DC today, but it still turned heads.

Great photos of the Brittany fishermen. When I can wear it as naturally as they do...

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
As to colors I like them all.
I think the navy is the most versatile; it goes with denim and anything else blue.

21481_1700465700207453_2272385049903970685_n.jpg

We couldn't get a ticket to Hamilton the Broadway show, but we did
visit Alexander Hamilton's grave in Trinity Church graveyard.

Daan

Vendor
As to colors I like them all.
I think the navy is the most versatile; it goes with denim and anything else blue.

21481_1700465700207453_2272385049903970685_n.jpg

We couldn't get a ticket to Hamilton the Broadway show, but we did
visit Alexander Hamilton's grave in Trinity Church graveyard.

Excellent. I actually much like the jacket too, which brings up associations with 1950's bleu de travail French workwear.
bleu-de-travail.jpg

Coincidentally, I am looking at expanding the range of South Pacific Berets with bleu de travail jackets - since long my favourite casual wear (and what better combination with a beret?).
Bretagne+Au+bar%252C+Finist%25C3%25A8re%252C+1950.jpg
CHRIS+COOPER+Bluebell+Railway+Worker.jpg

Bleu de travail, or blue workwear, is for France pretty much what blue jeans were originally during the California gold rush. Like blue jeans, bleu de travail was adopted and adapted by a younger generation in the 1960's, but never became as popular as denim; ironically a French product itself - the name "denim" derives from French serge de Nîmes, meaning "serge from Nîmes".
Interestingly, the blue work jackets (and pants) were worn all over the industrial world (I bought some nice samples 30 years ago in what was then behind the Iron Curtain). In my opinion, nowhere was the quality as high as the gear from some classic old French manufacturers, like Laboureur and Real Aiglon (hopefully on the shelves of SPB in another few months...).
Alas, that's another story.
wine+testing+by+Thomas+D.+Mcavoy.jpg
France,Burgundy,Rully,grape+picker+wearing+beret.jpg
v
Wine+looking+at+clarity.jpg

Daan

Vendor
News from Laulhère

A large shipment from Oloron Sainte Marie arrived in Wellington yesterday with much news and all familiar Laulhère berets are well stocked again too!

Laulhère has been awarded the sole rights to supply the official beret for the XV rugby games by the French Rugby Federation. The beret proudly shows the finely embroidered Gallic rooster, the limited edition ‘XV DE FRANCE ‘ label and the Laulhère silver pin. These berets come in their own édition limitée XV de Francegiftbox.

The foulard Super Basque is Laulhère's oldest foulard label that has been continuously in production for decades. The Super Basque is a 10p/28cm diameter black beret of foulard quality merino wool (impermeable), fitted with a luxurious leather headband and black satin lining. This foulard comes in a Laulhère gift bag.

Also new is the field or winter version of the Tarte Alpin in black. A heavy weight beret of 210grams pure merino wool; the best, warmest and most comfortable protection from the elements you could possibly wish for!

And after a (too) long period of sold out sizes/colours, the bérets Mademoiselle,Vrai Basque – Chasseurs Ardennais and Basque Authentique are well restocked.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Hi folks!

My first post in this thread - I've been long-time a lurker in Fedora threads and also over in leather jackets. I want to share that I've recently received a navy 265 mm Exposicion Super Lujo from Daan. Rather than emailing Daan with my questions I will be posting here, so that everybody can join in, and read his answers as well.

And so, the next question: how does one break it a beret?

And, lastly, (for now) Daan recommends streching with a hat jack, while Ron Greer has a video showing a circumferential stretching. My bean is a very long oval... So should I stretch circumferentially because the beret is round, or in one diection because my head is so oval?
I break in a new beret by wearing it in a drizzle and building up a sweat. Back home I remove it carefully and lay it down on a flat surface, txortena up. b<y doing this several times and carefully shaping it on my head when wearing it, I achieve the desired shape: pulled forward over the eyes to the left. Depending on the beret, it may take only a few (Boineteria Auloronesa, Tolosa Tupida) or many (Boinas Elosegui Super Lujo, 150 Anos) sessions to get what I want. A bit circumferential stretching (i got a 61cm head) in several steps and then a good deal of sweat and body warmth shape the beret to fit my bumpy head.
PA283719-1_ji-p.jpg

Last edited:

Daan

Vendor
View attachment 47305 What good a beret if it doesnt give shelter?;) View attachment 47304

Indeed, "what good is a beret if it doesn't provide shelter?" Not just from the weather though...'Reality Shield', an apt description of how one can visualize the beret to work for you and yes, if there ever was a time of need for reality shields, it may well be right now.

Just reading my daily newspaper: the xenophobe populistic ramblings of Donald Trump; an interview with the recently released Guantanamo detainee Shaker Aamer (after 14 years in detention, endless solitary confinement and torture for being at the wrong place at the wrong time); the aftermath of the terror attacks on Brussels; a Taliban claimed suicide attack on a playground in Pakistan, killing 65 and wounding over 300 women and children; etc. etc.

One would really need to have the beret pulled over the ears and eyes. What sort of beret has the density and size to protect us?
I foresee a bright future for the manufacturers of Tarte Alpins...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes