Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

zebulon

New in Town
But let me tell you something, I think that all af your 5 comments do not provide any positive stuff to the beret thread, I even see some malice in them IMHO.

Ok - and now i am going to tell you something:

I don't think it is "malice" to let the other Readers know, that they can buy some (many ?) berets on other sides (than yours) for less Money. Few of you (like "Woodfluter/Kreissäge") allready know and bought some spanish Berets from Ron Greer - everyybody can go to this Side and compare Prices beween him and you. This is a Beret Forum (!), not your own Warehouse - so i don't see anything wrong in this kind of Information !
Quite opposite i am happy if People let me know where to get some stuff cheaper - that's not the main reason for a Forum, but it is important to know that too.

Your doing a phantastic Job in this Forum, i appriciate this - but as long as you are writing :

"I can assure you that the money I make from this sideline is minimal; the cost of customs, postage, small orders while residing at the bottom of the world is far from ideal as a money making venture, really."

I say to the other Readers - go to other sides (like Ron Greer for Example) and compare the Prices - and then read the above Text again ;-)

If you consider it expensive, don't buy it,

Don't worry - i allready bought some Elosegui Berets and they were not "to expensive" - because i bought them here:

http://home.blarg.net/~rgphoto/2004/basqueberet.htm

Like i allready said, it's your Business taking higher Prices than Ron - that's ok ;-)
Was this "malice" again ?

RJR

Zebulon,you're arguing with another Lounger,not Daan K.,the owner of S P Berets.That seems rather pointless.

RJR

I don't choose to argue with you.It appears that 1280almas posted one response to you from Daan.Others are not so marked.Further,in post #924 Daan gave you his email address so you could correspond directly since he is having issues posting.
I,for one,see no point in this haggling.

zebulon

New in Town
I don't choose to argue with you.It appears that 1280almas posted one response to you from Daan.

While Daan wrote "Hope to be able to post again under my own name soon!" i still think he will read and write via this Account too.

Just wait and see ;-)

Daan/2

New in Town
Ah, after some agonizing days of being unable to post on this forum, I opened a new account under my wife's name (thank you, Dear) and, until I manage to log into my own account again, I'll post under my new identity: Daan/2.

What can I say? Interesting to see these comments on me and not being able to respond... To be honest, I find it difficult to see what Zebulon wants exactly. Like RJR, I have no desire to argue with you, but happy to go back to your questions and see if I can answer any better.
Yes, this whole "The Beret Project" is pretty much a labour of love. This does not mean I make no money from it; when I did my end-of-the-financial-year-balance last April, I came to the hourly income of $2.04 (that's NZ$, in US$ 1.66). As for the book, not included in those accounts, I make some $4.00 per copy, apart from when I send it to customers in Europe and the US, where I "loose" money on the postage cost.

So far for justifying my prices. I have no problem with any price comparison, but what I do mind is that you question my integrity about pricing. Ron Greer, a friend of mine as it is, is able to offer lower prices thanks a much lower shipping cost from Spain to the US and the absence of GST and hefty import duties that NZ Customs imposes on my imports and different paper work that needs paying for. Good for him, bad luck for me. Check out the publicly available information on import duties to New Zealand, the cost of sending a box of berets from France or Spain to NZ and you'll see.
As you would have read in earlier ports on this forum, many of my berets are actually cheaper than from retailers in the country of their origin. Despite sending from the bottom of the world, I keep prices low.
Last, before we can go back to what this forum is for (BERETS!), if you have any problems with me, my prices or anything else, deal directly with me. Almas was kind to let me post one message under his name and, as explained in that message, that was just a one-off until I got my account sorted again (sometimes it pays to listen to other forum members...).
Hope this helps and we can stop these silly backwards/forwards conversations here and move on to what really matters.

Okay, and after my moaning on the downsides of living where I do, let me share this article on the great Coffee Capital of the World that Wellington is!
Yes, both coffee and berets are very dear to my heart, and I am not the only one.

ernesto-che-guevara-92-cafeA%2Bsip%2Bof%2Bcaf%C3%A9.1960.%2BThe%2BArgentine%2Bmate%2Bhas%2Bgiven%2Bway%2Bto%2BCuban%2Bcoffee.%2BIn%2Bthose%2Bdetails%2Balso%2Brevealed%2Bthe%2BCuban%2BChe.jpg

It all comes down to your ABC really, Attitude, Berets and Coffee.

Basque%2Bcoffee.jpg

And if you want your own coffee travel mug that actually works, try this. The first and only insulated coffee cups I ever found (believe me, I tried a good number) that don't affect the taste of coffee in any way, are extremely well insulated (hot on the inside - cool on the outside), fit perfectly well in any standard car's cup holder, don't leak or drip and are totally fashionable for beret wearers of any kind! (And if any concerns about the margins on the price, I'll happily give a breakdown on the costs if requested :p )
photo%205%20%281%29.JPG

Daan/2

New in Town
According to my report you were logged in under your original account just around 15 minutes or so ago.

Yep. I can log in under my own (original "Daan") account, but am unable to post or reply. So far, reactivating the account has not worked. But instead of discussing that here on the forum, please drop me a line here and see if we can fix the problem.
Cheers,
Daan

QuantCap

New in Town
Bought a 12-inch burgundy Boinas Elosegui Super Lujo for myself and an 11-inch navy blue Super Lujo for my wife. Both from Ron Greer. Super-fast shipping as I ordered it Friday and delivered Monday morning. Also ordered a green cotton Boinas Tolosa Tupida from Daan. They are my first boinas. Excited for when the weather cools a bit, as the Super Lujo is a bit warm. Shouldn't feel too out of place, as I work in academia and distinctive clothes and accessories are fairly common.

Daan

Vendor
Shouldn't feel too out of place, as I work in academia and distinctive clothes and accessories are fairly common.

Hi QuantCap, good to see you here in the Lounge! Never worry about what others might think of your berets. I recall how I felt uncomfortable wearing mine when I first moved to NZ, but either I got used to the locals (staring at me) or the locals got used to me (and my berets). You might recognize that sentiment again when you wear a Plato Grande for the first time in public.

Anyway, my problems to post and reply here under my own name seem to be solved - time for some beret news.
Over the last half year or so, Laulhere and South Pacific Berets have reinstated a whole lot of old beret labels. Among the 50-odd beret manufacturers that were once active in France, there is an enormous variety in labels , some of incredible artistic beauty while others are just fantastic in their depictions of beret-related scenery. Whether it is the old geezer with beret and on sabots (wooden shoes) trudging along his faithful mule (Etchea and Bortia labels), the Rafale-guy laughing at the rain that can't permeate his beret or the heraldry rich label of the luxurious L'aiglon and Super Exposition berets.
Vintage%20labels%20Laulhere%20Bortia.jpg.opt216x300o0%2C0s216x300.jpg
Label%20Rafal.jpg
Aiglon%20label.png.opt205x205o0%2C0s205x205.png
Super%20Exposition.jpg.opt172x226o0%2C0s172x226.jpg

When all factories but Laulhere and Blancq-Olibet shut down, there was a race for the ownership of the labels. Now, with Blancq-Olibet taken over by Laulhere, Laulhere has rights to practically all the old labels. Unfortunately, there is only a small number that survived and I fear that once those are used up - that's the real end of it.
Great to see these, once vanished berets back again.

The Vrai Basque label is a different story. Both companies had the right to use the label (and did!) and also, they made numerous variations on the original label.
Vrai+Basque+9+pouce-256+lbl.JPG
Vrai+Basque.jpg
Vrai+Basque+Country.jpg
971_001.jpg

The labels here form only a fraction of all the variations on the Vrai Basque theme; I must have another dozen in my collection.

Now, Laulhere has sole ownership of the label, but to take all suspicion of it not being a "real Laulhere" away, it added it's name to the label. These are the labels that are now fitted in the loden-green Chasseurs Ardennais berets.
VB%20label%20L.jpg.opt111x208o0%2C0s111x208.jpg
IMG_0783.JPG.opt215x201o0%2C0s215x201.JPG

Over time, I hope to retrieve more vintage labels that can be used to re-create the old berets. I'll keep you updated.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Side-By-Side Comparison of Beret Diamaters

No worries. The pictures below depict a 9 pouces and an 11 pouces beret on a mannequin. Mind though that the mannequin is a very small head size 56, so keep that in perspective. The same 11 pouces is shown on my own head (3rd picture, and I'm size 59).

9.5.JPG.opt208x209o0%2C0s208x209.JPG
photo%20%2818%29.JPG.opt237x217o0%2C0s237x217.JPG
11p.JPG

I checked the head opening of the 'universal' with a hat measuring tool and yes, you'd have no problem fitting this beret (for a size 63). It is an astonishingly simple adjustment system; just makes you wonder why no other manufacturer has thought of it! I have always been a fan of headband-less berets, but sometimes the stretching can be a bit of a job (especially on the Spanish berets). This system takes all the stretching away and also allows for tightening the fit if need be.

Since the use of 'pouces' is an ongoing struggle for some, here is a conversion table to metric sizes:
9 pouces = 256mm
9.5 pouces = 265mm
10 pouces = 280mm
10.5 pouces = 295mm
11 pouces = 310mm
That's for the French system in 'pouces'. Now, the Spanish use another antiquated sizing system for their diameters, 'pulgadas' (confusingly often named 'inches'):
9.5" = 221mm
10" = 233mm
10.5" = 244mm
11" = 256mm
11.5" = 267mm
12" = 279mm
12.5" = 291mm
13" = 302mm
13.5" = 314mm
14" = 326mm
15" = 349mm
16" = 372mm

In principal, I stick to metric sizes when listing the berets on the web site to avoid confusion. The exception are the French berets, where I list both metric sizes and pouces, as pouces are used by most other hat shops and that makes it easier to compare.
Instead of getting worked up by it (I still do, at times when the brain's a bit slow), I tell myself it is great to see how these very old systems are still in use, divided by lines of nationality and ethnicity (not often seen anymore in this global world).

I've looked through this entire thread and the SPB website. I appreciate the helpful info on how berets are measured and the different diameters available. What appears to be missing, and is only shown sporadically, is how the varying diameters compare on the same model. That is, showing the 240 mm up through 330 mm berets side-by-side on the same model so one can get a feel for which diameter to purchase. Of course we would have to account for the fact that the model may have a particular hat size, and I know the same beret can be worn differently, but at least we could get a better idea of how the diameters compare.

Daan

Vendor
I've looked through this entire thread and the SPB website. I appreciate the helpful info on how berets are measured and the different diameters available. What appears to be missing, and is only shown sporadically, is how the varying diameters compare on the same model. That is, showing the 240 mm up through 330 mm berets side-by-side on the same model so one can get a feel for which diameter to purchase. Of course we would have to account for the fact that the model may have a particular hat size, and I know the same beret can be worn differently, but at least we could get a better idea of how the diameters compare.

Valid point, but no easy answer. Although the plateau (diameter) of various berets may be the same, the way a beret is made; it's density, the quality of the wool, the way it is formed during steaming, etc., make for different looks and feels. E.g. a boina Espinosa black label wears, feels and looks quite different from, say, an Auloronesa 10pouces - despite being the same plateau.

And again, the size of the wearer, the shape of one's head and face, hair or baldness, all play a role. I have a customer who wears only berets of the smallest plateaus, despite him being a size 62. On most people with that size, it would look terrible - on him it is absolutely fantastic. Similarly, a size 56 friend of mine often wears a 35cm txapeldun (and if not, a tarte of 315mm) and looks great with it, while at the same time, you see pictures of some Chasseurs Alpins of very small size with that same sized beret and it looks laughable.

I realize I'm not being much help here; really, there is no easy answer. I shall make some comparing photo's though; series of one type of beret in a variety of diameters on the same mannequin - maybe it is of some help...
Give me a couple of days.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Valid point, but no easy answer. Although the plateau (diameter) of various berets may be the same, the way a beret is made; it's density, the quality of the wool, the way it is formed during steaming, etc., make for different looks and feels. E.g. a boina Espinosa black label wears, feels and looks quite different from, say, an Auloronesa 10pouces - despite being the same plateau.

And again, the size of the wearer, the shape of one's head and face, hair or baldness, all play a role. I have a customer who wears only berets of the smallest plateaus, despite him being a size 62. On most people with that size, it would look terrible - on him it is absolutely fantastic. Similarly, a size 56 friend of mine often wears a 35cm txapeldun (and if not, a tarte of 315mm) and looks great with it, while at the same time, you see pictures of some Chasseurs Alpins of very small size with that same sized beret and it looks laughable.

I realize I'm not being much help here; really, there is no easy answer. I shall make some comparing photo's though; series of one type of beret in a variety of diameters on the same mannequin - maybe it is of some help...
Give me a couple of days.

@Daan: Thanks, that would be helpful. I realize there are many variables, but still some comparing photos would be great. And just to let you know, I did place an order off your website - but was feeling apprehensive with no experience with berets under my belt. Years ago I went through a similar learning curve buying some of my first fedora's online - before determining how wide a brim, or how high a crown I preferred.

Daan

Vendor
It's time to pick up some fruits, apples and and quinces! Free better than cheap tho!

Ah yes, that time of the year again at your side of the globe... That asks for some more pictures of boineros picking fruit; some of my favourite fruits, really.

France,Burgundy,Rully,grape+picker+wearing+beret.jpg
IljaGortdureneus_medium.jpg
Emile+Vino.jpg

By the way, I like your new avatar, reminds me of something...

Daan

Vendor
@Daan: Thanks, that would be helpful. I realize there are many variables, but still some comparing photos would be great. And just to let you know, I did place an order off your website - but was feeling apprehensive with no experience with berets under my belt. Years ago I went through a similar learning curve buying some of my first fedora's online - before determining how wide a brim, or how high a crown I preferred.

The most difficult question when buying a beret over the internet is "how does it look on ME?" and that's a question without an easy answer.
Identical berets can look completely different on one person from the next. Head size, shape, baldness, short or long hair, body shape, etc., etc.
On the web site I often use pictures of myself to give some impression of what a specific beret looks like, or I use a neutral mannequin.
Still, it is not easy to compare the varieties if you don't see them next to each other.
What I did here, is photograph a variety of berets made by Boneteria Auloronesa - all the berets are well broken in and of the same colour. Pictured from top down are a 10 pouces, a 10.5 pouces, an 11 pouces and the 12 pouces Tarte Alpin. Mind: the mannequin has a very small (56) head size, which of course influences the overall look.
IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

I hope this helps. more comparisons to follow soon.

Daan

Vendor
Plateaus #2
Following my earlier post today, here are some more samples of plateaus. All these berets are (obviously) in Bordeaux (or 'maroon', 'Burgundy', whatever name your prefer).The first three photographs depict berets made by Boneteria Auloronesa, from the top down: a 10p (28cm), 11p (31cm) and the Tarte Alpin 12p (33.6cm).

10701924_817028485015160_5004948875162487749_n.jpg

10672383_817028501681825_9087665685874797739_n.jpg

10599659_817028488348493_8126468147239706396_n.jpg

To show that even when plateaus are similar, the berets can look quite different, you'll see after the first three Auloronesa pictures: Boinas Elosegui Super Lujo 30cm; Boinas Elosegui Txapeldun 35cm; Italian Grande Piatto 33cm; Argentinian boina Tolosa Tupida 30cm and the UČA in 29cm.

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

Again, all these berets are well worn in, all on the same small head-sized mannequin (size 56).

Daan

Vendor
I found some beautiful vintage photo's of the Chasseurs Ardennais, the Belgian infantry regiment known for their green Basque berets. Being a regiment of light infantry, their means of transport in the years before and shortly after WWII was typically per bicycle.

10686976_818784288172913_684425614760890560_n.jpg
10712802_818784308172911_2784524563982564509_n.jpg

The pictures clearly show the cabilliou (or "txortena", the little wick at the centre of the beret), so unusual for military berets and the relatively large diameter; typically 10 pouces (28cm).

10711116_818784298172912_1377351438906696501_n.jpg

Within the regiment, there was one battalion of motorcycles with sidecar (it seems that even in those days, helmets were the standard over berets when on the motorbike) and they had their own light tanks.

10616669_818784301506245_242379340489667388_n.jpg

charbodangeat0-1.jpg

The beret badges of the Chasseurs Ardennais depicts the head of a wild boar, the symbol of the Belgian (mountainous) Ardennes. It has also been the mascot of the regiment over many decades.

flament-ts49.jpg
2326518705_1.jpg

I still hold a good supply of the headband-less version of this beret and some sizes still available with leather headband, see here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran