Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Tchoupi

New in Town
Does anyone please have pictures of the Auloronesa/Orthesa in brown, under daylight conditions?
I would like a brown beret, but on the pictures I have seen it looks very dark and, to my eye, not very attractive. However, I have not seen the beret in the wild, so that might differ considerably.
This is Boneteria Auloronesa 12p, The photograph I just took this morning. The photograph seems to make the wool look about one or two shades darker and the colour seems a slightly warmer tone in reality too. I think it's a very nice shade of brown in real life. This béret is now I suppose getting on in years, but I haven't noticed significant fading and I've worn it a lot.

Attachments

• WIN_20220914_10_08_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220914_10_08_06_Pro.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 72

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
I have the MdB brown beret with the new vintage label size 10.5 and wore it in the spring until the weather warmed.
Very comfortable beret., will always fit with the universal ligature.
For me the brown is best desribed as the color of an esprsso blend ground coffee, or a rich dark chocolate with a slight blend of darker overtones.
I am back to wearing it now as the weather cools.

Bouwerij_Jongen

One of the Regulars
As the weather changes with fall coming on,
I need to prepare my cotton berets for winter.
So, If I wore one this summer I need to wash it.
If I don't wash the sweaty cotton berets, they take on the
dreaded old mah smell or trucker hat stink.
So, I will wash them by hand in woolite detergent,
rinse and dry.
But I learned this year that washing does not completely remove the old man smell.
So I went to Amazon to look for human sweat stink removal.
I tried Sweat X Extreme Odor Eliminator.
Pump spray the beret around the liner and head band.
And no more stink.
Apparently there are specic bacteria that thrive on cotton and sweat.
But Sweat X has enzymes and who khows what that knock down the old man smell bacteria.
My experiences apply only to cotton berets and not wool.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
I have the MdB brown beret with the new vintage label size 10.5 and wore it in the spring until the weather warmed.
Very comfortable beret., will always fit with the universal ligature.
For me the brown is best desribed as the color of an esprsso blend ground coffee, or a rich dark chocolate with a slight blend of darker overtones.
I am back to wearing it now as the weather cools.
A wonderful brown

Fedster

Familiar Face
As the weather changes with fall coming on,
I need to prepare my cotton berets for winter.
So, If I wore one this summer I need to wash it.
If I don't wash the sweaty cotton berets, they take on the
dreaded old mah smell or trucker hat stink.
So, I will wash them by hand in woolite detergent,
rinse and dry.
But I learned this year that washing does not completely remove the old man smell.
So I went to Amazon to look for human sweat stink removal.
I tried Sweat X Extreme Odor Eliminator.
Pump spray the beret around the liner and head band.
And no more stink.
Apparently there are specic bacteria that thrive on cotton and sweat.
But Sweat X has enzymes and who khows what that knock down the old man smell bacteria.
My experiences apply only to cotton berets and not wool.
Baking soda does the same.

Tchoupi

New in Town
Baking soda does the same.
Yes, I've tried this and works well. In France there is also a natural product called "terre de sommières" which is great for removing dirt and bad smells. I also cleaned a wool béret using this. I put the béret in a plastic sack with terre de sommières and the béret, mixed it up and left it in the sack overnight. The next day I took it out, gave it a good shake and the béret was completely clean.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Yes, I've tried this and works well. In France there is also a natural product called "terre de sommières" which is great for removing dirt and bad smells. I also cleaned a wool béret using this. I put the béret in a plastic sack with terre de sommières and the béret, mixed it up and left it in the sack overnight. The next day I took it out, gave it a good shake and the béret was completely clean.
i use Savon de MARSEILLE soap and downy

Daan

Vendor
Meet Nisim, a fascinating boinero and a man who has been living in an elaborate cliffside cave for almost five decades - now being threatened with eviction by Israeli authorities.
The BBC has reported that Nisim, a father of three who carved out the dwelling after deciding to abandon city life, could soon be turfed out of his beachside residence.
1664401207783.png

Israeli authorities complain that the Gaudiesque structure is dangerous and a hazard to the natural environment.
1664401160318.jpeg

“48 years and nothing falls on me, nothing broke. Everything, Baruch HaShem, strong”.

Daan

Vendor
Today is the end of an era... The boinas Espinosa and Tolosa Tupida have been a staple of South Pacific Berets from the very beginning, 15 years ago.
Espinosa grey.jpg
Espinosa red.jpg
Espinosa navy.jpg
Until the beginning of the covid epidemic, I have always had a steady supply of these berets, but after 3 years trying [unsuccessfully] to restock, I reluctantly have to give up on this range of berets.
My project (34).png My project (35).png My project (33).png
The few remaining boinas in stock are all discounted by 40% (and once they're gone, they're really gone...).

B.U.H.

New in Town
The other day I had the pleasure to receive two berets from Manufacture de Bérets, a brown one with ligette and a black one with leather headband, both 11p.
I like them a lot, both are of great quality.I had asked about the brown color here before. I am not disappointed: A very dark, chestnut brown, nearly black under artificial light, and proabably hard to capture by camera.
Incoming now are a wintergreen mammoth and a white cotton beret from Daan.

Since I liked the Auloronesas so much, I am pondering to get a tarte from them, but I remember Kreissaege to comment that he considered his unwearable, being to soft and floppy for this size. Can anyone share experiences about Auloronesa's Béret dit Alpin?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ